zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby BadBowtie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:40 am

I've trimmed my fan shroud to fit flush on the rad surface and im sitting at 4-3/4" to the nub on the electric motor.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 am

Thanx BBT, I guess I will not be using the ford fan idea. I'll check and c what Summit has for thinner fans and aluminum rads. Looks like I wont be able to go much bigger than the 19 by 26 stock size either.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:08 am

After more inspection / measuring I have noticed that the rad could move even more forward if it sat under the hood latch. The width is limited by the amount of space between the plastic headlight sub-structure.

Griffin makes a 24 by 16 inch 2 row 1.25" tube rad and I found a dual 11" fan / shroud by Maradyne that pulls 2700 cfm that is the perfect size for the rad. I'm gonna call Summit and see if they can order the rad without the filler neck and use a manifold filler / t-stat housing combo. I'll have to make a custom support bracket for the nose as the factory one won't work. Mounting the assembly will be tricky and require more fabrication but I think I can giterdun.

The best part is, I don't think much cutting of the car will be required if any at all. I measured the factory v8 rad core and it is 15.75" by 20". The Griffin is listed as 16" by 19" so not much difference in surface area ~ 16 sq inches.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/m ... /overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/g ... /overview/

I don't mind spending some money on this as my first Monza and this one had major problems trying to stay cool in traffick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 am

I was wondering if you could do anything similar to this : http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30819 , i have a vega so im not sure how the hood latch comes into play.
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Not a bad idea for mounting but there isn't even a pic of the finished job nor do they even give a report as whether it worked well or not. Hardly an ultimate thread. :rolleyes: Thanx for the link tho BBT, I'd love to see more if anyone knows of any other Monza rad relocation threads.

Edit: Actually I think mounting the rad by the tanks will lead to problems down the road literally. Mounting to the sub structure with how much these bodies can flex might seem like an easy way out of the problem, but long term, I think not.
Last edited by zeke on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73astregt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

if that pic is the actual rad you are planning to use the inlet, outlets are backward, you need top left bottom right no?
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby zeke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 pm

73astregt wrote:if that pic is the actual rad you are planning to use the inlet, outlets are backward, you need top left bottom right no?

You r absolutely correct, apparently parts shopping shouldn't be done at 4am. lol Thanx for pointing that out 73astregt. It seems the correct rad has only one inch tubes so back to square one.

I like jdhmr07's and needles ideas. I may do something along those lines.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 pm

More time measuring and imagineering (no cad) and the biggest rad i figure i can get in with still being able to bolt the nose up and use the hood latch is 26 by 16 inches.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/g ... /overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/p ... /overview/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:17 pm

ooh! want

Finally found something that Summit doesn't seem to have!

Intake Manifold Fill Neck

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... tId=761020
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Just have to know what to look up :mrgreen:

this is the one i went with, a bit pricier i guess, but it does swivel too.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/csi-914c/overview/
James

BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanx BBT! It's in the cart along with the rad and fan. Trying to commit with the mouse click now. :twisted: :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I think a dual fan setup will offer more clearance to the water pump pulley than a single. This one is 2780cfm: and 24 by 16"

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/b ... /overview/

I hope it ain't too noisy!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 am

You're reading my mind on the rad. I was thinking of using the same rad, moved a few inches forward with either the cap hole welded shut and using one of those fancy filler necks or (more likely) fabbing up a 'kick-out' portion for the tank to hold the cap where I can get at it. Were you able to order one without the cap?

Phill
76wagon

Postby zeke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 am

Thanx for your comment Phill, it gives me confidence knowing somebody else had the same idea.

As far as I can tell from the shitty picture there is no filler neck on this circle track rad. If there is, I'll cut it off and take it to someone who can weld aluminum. I plan to mount the rad a couple inches forward and on a 20 or 30 degree angle to make room for the fan/shroud asssembly.

I definetely won't be mounting by welding tabs on the tanks, it will be properly sandwiched between rubber mounts in a lightweight framework I'll fabricate.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

I finally committed! Now the waiting begins... :dance:

Part #ItemStatusPriceQtyLine Total
BCI-75007
Be Cool 75007 - Be Cool Qualifier Fans

Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Ready to Ship
$292.75
$292.75
CSI-914C
CSR Performance 914C - CSR Thermostat Housings

Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Ready to Ship
$104.97
$104.97
GRI-1-55221-X
Griffin Thermal Products 1-55221-X - Griffin Aluminum Circle Track Radiators

This part is normally shipped directly from the manufacturer / Supplier.
This is a special order part. When you complete checkout, the part will be ordered for you from the supplier.
Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Oversize fees also waived on this item. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Expected Arrival on
12/13/2013
$250.67
$250.67
Part Subtotal $648.39
Order Charges
Additional Shipping Charge$153.03
Order Subtotal$801.42
Ending Balance$801.42 USD
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals