zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:10 pm

The only difference I can see between the truck system and the h-body is that the park switch terminal is not grounded on the gear housing and has a terminal insulated from ground.

It looks like GM designed the h-body wiper motor with the possibility of configuring it either way. All I think I need to do is drill out the rivet, bend the tab over and solder a number ten blade on it, to make the park switch ground externally accessible.

This means you won't have to take the unit apart. That's good because it is staked together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zeke on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Another possible reason your wipers won't park is that the park switch lost it's ground at one of these points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

The wiper switches have contacts in the off position and I didn't know why until I put it back together and was bench testing it. The high and low terminals are shorted together when you turn the switch off. This acts as a dynamic brake and causes the motor to slow down quicker when the park switch opens so the momentum doesn't carry the cam right past the park switch. Years of engineering results in a lot of refinements!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm just about done adding relays I think.

1 fuel pump
2 fan1
3 fan2
4 low beams
5 high beams
6 ultra low beams
7 hatch release + trigger
8 hatch release - trigger
9 alarm starter cutout
10 door locks
11 door locks
12 headlight switch driving light feed - ign cutout
13 headlight switch marker lamp feed - ign cutout
14 dome lamp switch - acc cutout

Should have built a relay center. :lol:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:35 am

I always thought these cars would be cool if you had the option of running four low beams. The H1 fixtures were the same price and there is only ~5 watts difference in the efficiency between the H4 design. One less bulb to stock also.

I also added a relay to turn off the dome light switch as I am bad for leaving the dome lamp on. It is triggered by accessory power and the light still functions when the doors are opened or the hatch is popped. Added two more relays triggered by ignition power, to the headlight switch power feeds as well. Now when I turn the car off, everything turns off the way I like it. I realize the car doesn't have a parking lamp feature anymore, that's ok, I've never used it on any car, ever.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:03 pm

I still think that the 4x low beam idea is going to get you in trouble; at the very least oncoming cars will flash their high beams at you, and if you meet a cop, you might get stopped. I know they are all low beam but I don't think you will be able to convince everyone else you meet on the road at night.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:02 am

According to that article I posted, you are allowing four illuminating devices. I will reserve use of them.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:00 am

I guess you could tell the cop that the outer two are low beams and the inner two are fogs. lol. I hope you get away with it. Do you currently have the car certified(or whatever Ontario has for vehicle inspection)? Here in NS, we have an MVI every 2 years; the only lights they check are whatever's used for DRL.They are supposed to check headlight aim, but no one does. All other exterior lights are now the "responsibility of the owner" and will not fail if there's one not working. I'm not sure I could sneak 4 DRL's past an inspection. But my Silverado had dedicated DRL's anyway, and my headlights have separate single filament bulbs for low and high.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:27 am

In Ontario, there is only one safety check when you transfer the ownership (title) into your name. It is quite stringent though and all OE factory safety items must function - all lights, wipers, washers, horn, seat belts, etc. Other items: exhaust past the axle, no holes in cabin, tire condition, no cracks in windshield in the wiper path etc.

Emission checks every two years for cars younger than 20 yrs I think.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:29 pm

spencerforhire wrote: and my headlights have separate single filament bulbs for low and high.

That can be fixed with a relay , fuse and some wires as I did on my 90 Silverado and last sunday on my 92 Sunbird. ( low beams now come on with the high beams)

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Sorry Doug, you're late to the party; I have my low beams stay on with high so I have all 4 when I'm all by myself on the highway at night. Did that 4 years ago not long after I got the truck. No relay necessary on an 03-06 GM truck; all it takes is a diode. lol
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:36 am

Wiper motor converted to insulated ground park switch.

Edit: I ended up not needing to do this for my delay wiper system. Insulated park switch ground only required for cars with depressed park or hide away wiper systems.
Last edited by zeke on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 am

Used some 8/32 screws and nuts to put it back together after drilling out the stake holes.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 pm

The module for that wiper switch isn't available so I ordered one for a 1985 c10 p/u. I'm sure it won't plug right in and I have yet to find a schematic for that year truck with delay wipers. :shock: :lol:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/a ... /overview/
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

spencerforhire wrote:Sorry Doug, you're late to the party; I have my low beams stay on with high so I have all 4 when I'm all by myself on the highway at night. Did that 4 years ago not long after I got the truck. No relay necessary on an 03-06 GM truck; all it takes is a diode. lol

:th: Did the same 7 years ago on my Silverado when I bought it also, but after 3.5 years of ownership, I finally got around to it on my 'Bird.

The Silverado has plastic lens ( which need constant maintence) the Sunbird is newer but has glass lens

Kind of wonder to myself why GM didnt do that in the first place................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry for getting off topic, Chris .............................back to your build :th:

Doug in P.R 8) .
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals