zeke's Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: zeke's Monza

Postby zeke » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 pm

After some more thought... I had the realization that WASH probably un-grounds the park switch, grounds the low speed terminal, and after a short delay of 2 or 3 seconds, un-grounds the low term, re-enables the park switch ground. This will cause two or three wipes and would explain why modern systems need an insulated park switch ground, wiper motor. I will also postulate that the OE Monza system had no multi wipe wash function.

Edit: Incorrect
Last edited by zeke on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:35 am

When you push the switch in for "wash" on the 2-speed OEM H-body control, it slides over to the right and puts the wipers on low. Low tech at it's finest. I'm not exactly sure how it's handled on the OEM intermittent switch.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:45 am

You'll just have to find the switch and do some checks! :lol:

Yeah the low tech mechanical ramp in the oe non delay switch was replaced by multiple contacts on the wash button. During wash, low is also grounded on newer systems. This truck switch doesn't work that way however, the module must initiate a wipe.

To make it even more complicated, sometime in 1986, GM changed the wiper switch design so that the high terminal isn't grounded during low speed. lol I don't know if they changed the wiper motor to a dual shunt winding or the module just handles the logic of it now. :bang:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:04 am

The 86 delay module was back ordered and I doubt I could have interfaced it to the 83 switch and 79 motor. So I cancelled it and decided it would be best to start from scratch.

Circuit development is going well. So far I have mist, off, intermittent, lo, hi and park working. Working on wash next and other timing details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:49 am

The relay is necessary to achieve low speed park function. It emulates the lack of OFF contacts in the wiper switch needed to short the internal 22 ohm resistor. If I can't design it out, it will go on the wiper motor so I don't hear it clicking. Much to do yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnE0Fi03gNc&feature=youtu.be
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am

Dev work is coming along. No more relay clicking during intermittent and wash works.

Wash button - pumps runs when button pressed, 3 wipes after button released

Mist - no fluid, one wipe

More details to work out yet and maybe some integration to reduce the component count.

Once I'm happy with function, I'll design a printed circuit board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfvRiHwcoY&feature=youtu.be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 pm

One small issue left to sort out. Wash during high speed causes low speed for the length of the wash cycle then reverts to high.

I have the delay calibrated for a variable 0.5s to ~20s delay with the factory 1.5M ohm pot.

I like how the icon lights up but it's not real bright and the switch gets pretty warm. Going to try LEDs instead.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Solved my issue with a few logic gates.

I have learnt that an insulated ground park switch is only necessary for depressed park (hide away) wiper systems.

Found a neat and free program for drawing schematics online.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Much brighter! $2.95 and should never burn out. Switch not even warm now. A 510 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor limits the current to ~22mA @ 14v
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Working on the delay module PCB design.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:59 am

Board layout continues...

Bottom pic is actual size
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 am

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:59 am

Looking good Chris..Don't forget to add the cruise control.. :)

Al
dindin

Postby zeke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanx Al, I'll leave the cruise control for something to add later.

Waiting for the pcb from the board shop. In the mean time, I printed it out on some 80 pound card stock to check fitment.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:11 am

The most sophisticated h-body in existence! The million dollar monza? zeke can rebuild it, stronger, faster, more advanced.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals