1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 am

Wow, this is just inspiring!... Can't wait for more updates.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby megavega » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 am

Got the cage all sanded and coated in self etching primer, will be painting it satin black along with door tops and glovebox so it all will be the same texture/gloss. Gonna use a small texture roller so its not all smooth, make it differnt, and wont scratch as easily. The cage came out nice, it does not intrude one bit into rear view, rear seating area, clears all interior panels and will be easy to get in and out of the car. There is just enough room for your hand to stay on the window crank knob. Plenty of room between steering wheel and access to turn signal lever. The headliner just fits back in, about a 1/4" of clearance between tube and headliner, its absolutley the tightest fit I could get as I didnt want to lose interior/head space.

The only part of it to finish will be the front frame support tubes, but those cant be fabbed up till the turbo headers are on the motor. I also may incorporate a small dash bar , 3/4"-1" diameter from left to right to help keep the cage from expanding open in case of a frontal impact. It's gonna need to remain small so its not a knee banger, or it could possibly be bent and installed under the dash, like un upside down "U". I used 1 5/8" tubing for the sill bars, this acts as the frame connector for the car, with the rear subframe being welded into the body its ajoined to the same panels and area as the main hoop mount, its not going anywhere....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by megavega on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby greg72 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am

Looks awesome!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby megavega » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:02 pm

couple more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

megavega

Postby waybad » Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 am

greg72 wrote:Looks awesome!

X2, I can't wait to see it with all the interior, back seat, head liner!
You are talented!!!!
TC
waybad

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed May 07, 2008 11:23 am

You'll never get the original sun visors to work with that roll cage. Probably can't even get all the screws in. :wink:
That'll be a sweet car.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby megavega » Wed May 07, 2008 3:27 pm

All of the stock interior panels fit in the car, the rear seat remains stock and is unaltered, the cage was built around all of the stock interior and to provide the most possible headroom, seating area and not invade interior space.
The cage is painted now and the headliner reinstalled. The only thing that had to be changed was the sunvisors, but they will simply mount to the cage and be held up to headlinder with hook n loop velcro now. All mounting screws fit back into panels.

I used a texture roller on cage and it came out pretty neat, almost the same grainy texture like the interior panels, blends in very well and it doesnt stand out when you look in the car.
Last edited by megavega on Wed May 07, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megavega

Postby waybad » Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 pm

megavega wrote:All of the stock interior panels fit in the car, the rear seat remains stock and is unaltered, the cage was built around all of the stock interior and to provide the most possible headroom, seating area and not invade interior space.
The cage is painted now and the headliner reinstalled. The only thing that had to be changed was the sunvisors, but they will simply mount to the cage and be held up to headlinder with hook n loop velcro now. All mounting screws fit back into panels.

Thanks for the pm
I think this will be simply bada$$!! please keep the pictures coming because I'm going to steal your ideas if you don't mind! heheh
Thanks TC
waybad

Re:

Postby SWT Racing » Sun May 11, 2008 10:13 am

megavega wrote:On the exhaust, I am not quite sure how loud it is after going thru the turbo, was wondering if I would even need mufflers or just dump it down behind the front wheels and maybe into a pancake muffler or straight pipe??? anyone have any expieriance with them, a twin turbo v8?

My Vega is pretty loud with just the downpipes off the turbos. . .although the downpipes are only about 24" long. I would run mufflers if it were me.
Andrew Slater
Hangar18 Fabrication/SWT Racing
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/swtracing.html

TurboGMs.com Featured Car: Click Here!
SWT Racing

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: 1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanx Andrew, I will fab up some pipes into flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers.

To those of you asking about the car, not alot has been going on with the car as I am right in the middle of a 26'x32' house addition(all 3 levels) along with a 8'x32' front porch. This house remodeling stuff eats up every ounce of time and every penny you have. I did manage to get some parts for the time when I can get back on the project, picked up a couple of items such as the rear control arms made for the swaybar, heim ends, rear shocks, and weld up header kit for the bbc, 2 inch tubes with 3 inch collectors. I will only be using the pipes and the flanges for the engine, the divided flanges for the twin t4 turbos will need to be made yet. I just mocked up the turbos in the engine bay and looks like its plenty feasible to do this . :dance:

megavega

Postby waybad » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:46 pm

I understand the house stuff, my bathroom gets all the time that the kids don't eat up???
it's going to be one wicked ride when you can get back on it! the roll cage looks killer! nice touch
please keep us posted!!! :mrgreen:
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
Tinker
waybad

Postby v8astregt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 am

WTF?!?!?!

Damn, took a quick glance and saw the wheels before, but never realized it was a twin-turbo'd 427 with a 6 speed! That's insane!

Think the tubular control arms will be enough? I mean do you think the whole setup will work? Just curious since I've yanked the upper rear mount off with a lowly 355 making 300 hp... you'll make at least double that.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby megavega » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

One thing to remember is you were running slicks, they tend to show a guy every weak spot in a car, be it frame,motor/trans mounts,etc. common street tires will never hook like that . It should just spin,spin like driving on ice in the summer. The weak link will be the spider gears in the center section, when that breaks, I will most likely install a 8" ford rear axle. The 8" is quite a bit lighter then a 9" ford. I also have welded up the upper control arm mounts and placed a gusset on each side . The upper rear axle mounting points have been raised. By changing the upper rear mounting points I have also changed the instant center of the car, changing the leverage applied to the rear axle via the rear control arms. I intend to drive the car on the street only, a power tour, and am not interested in making in any drag race passes. Been there broken lots of stuff at the drag strip....lol :D I will leave all that up to you guys. The silver car in my avatar ate up lots of 100 dollar bills making those drag passes. When you get old like me the times the car runs doesnt seem to be so important as the driveability and "wow" factor..... :roll:

megavega

Postby Bacchus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm

How fast are you planning to run? That cage is awesome, but will it pass tech with no diagnol side bar? My cage was put in a long time ago, but at that time the rule was that the bar had to pass between your shoulder and elbow.

Awesome work.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby Hoonbash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 pm

MegaVega first off nice work!!

I'm forced to do the rear crossmember mod as last week mine top apart drag racing exactly like you said they do,any chance you could provide the measurements of the pieces?

Also wondering if you could provide any pics of the upper control arms you beefed up and if you have the time a quick crash course on I.C.,I'm basically wondering if changing the upper mounting points would lessen the forces acting upon them.

Thanks-Hoonbash
87 GTA
70 Skylark
75 Vega GT
79 Sunbird
76 Sunbird
72 CoupDevile
Hoonbash

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals