1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1972 Vega Pro Touring Project

Postby megavega » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 pm

it has headers now.... finally. I actually found these on ebay, they are stainless steel to boot. I couldn't build headers for what I paid for these. I had the cost of header kit in the steel ones($125), plus a lot of time then it was another $350 to jet hot coat them. Although they do go slightly higher then what I was building they still fit well. They are the same tube size I was using before a 2 inch diameter header with a 3 inch collector going into turbo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by megavega on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby megavega » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Only part that didn't sneak by was the steering shaft, it was "oh so" close to making it with its 2 joint set up. I even moved the column mount in the firewall to not only give more room to header but also to straighten out the steering column, as they are crooked, stock from the factory, I pointed the wheel more to the center of the car, moving the shaft output towards the drivers side fender more. I already have the special rod end you need for support to have 3 u joints in a shaft. it has the end honed out to let the double d shaft slip thru it. All in all was a great fit tho, more then happy with these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

megavega

Postby megavega » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Got the twin hair dryers put on today. I will now need to fab up a couple 38mm/1.50" diameter tubes off the collector bends to mount the wastegates for the turbos. Will have to figure out the final twin intercooler pipe routing after that. It sure does fill up the real estate in the front of the engine quickly, like 20lbs of crap in a 2lb bag! I also am going to make some steel braces that will bolt to the engine/head front and weld the brace to the collector flange as the turbos are heavy and I think they will eventually crack the tubing and or the headers hanging way out there with no support of the weight.

megavega

Previous

Return to Project Journals