The "BadSunbird"

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bugdewde » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:19 pm

I am ashamed for cutting up my very rusty '73 parts car. :oops:
I now realize someone could have really used it. You have done an amazing job.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:33 pm

bugdewde wrote:I am ashamed for cutting up my very rusty '73 parts car. :oops:
I now realize someone could have really used it. You have done an amazing job.
I'm a bit of a scavanger. If there's a good piece of sheet metal on a car I'll cut it out and save it before it gets crushed. Not to mention any mechanical or electrical part that works or can be fixed.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Yea, I'm with you on being a scavenger, I'm a bit of one myself. I cut out and saved a portion of the old trans tunnel and even the transmission mounts that are welded to the bottom of the floor pan. You never know, someone else might need them or even just a piece of them. I figure that there is no sense in throwing away a perfectly good part just because you yourself don't need it, someone else might and may have been looking for that particular part for quite sometime.
I plan on putting some of my spare unused parts on ebay after I am done, or if I need a little extra cash here and there for this project as I go along. The thing is, you just never really know!
My theory is, you might as well help someone else out that needs it because someone might do the same for you somewhere down the line !!!
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby patrick1151 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:38 am

I have someone looking for the rear floor pans if one of you guys have them. For a 71 Vega.
1979 Pontiac Sunbird 262/TH350
1977 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon 151/TH350
1979 Ponriac Sunbird 3.8/TH350
patrick1151

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:24 am

Once again I have been hard at it, have been trying to get the lower control arm bolts out without damaging anything, and finally after a little good old fashion ingenuity, I have successfully got them removed and got the LCA's off. What a pain in the a** !
The passengers side was in relatively good shape, the shims or bushing caps (whatever you want to call them) were in pretty good condition and reusable, but the drivers side were hammered, toast! Thank goodness I picked up the ones that were on ebay several weeks ago and will have a good usable set to reassemble the front suspension.
As usual I have posted some more pics for everyones "viewing pleasure" :woohoo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Badsunbird on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:28 am

Here are a few pics of the LCA's Sub-structure area. This is now ready for sandblasting and paint as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Not much up here as of late, have been doing some "early" spring cleaning of the old tool box, that hasn't been cleaned for the past 7 years. Alot of *crap* that I have no idea why I ever kept.
I did however find alot of old car "emblems" that I took off over the years and just threw them in my box. "WoW", there was actually alot of stuff that could/might be worth some "$" !
Anyways, that was just in one afternoons "frolic" in the oL'tool box.
Despite that one little set back, not a whole lot of progress has occured. It is kind of going in "sperts" at the moment. With all the cold air and snow flying around in "these parts" of the country 'an all"!
Here are some pics that were taken a week or so ago, not much, but yet some progress.

( Yea, I know the blue looks to be two different colors, but it isn't, it's just the darn lighting in the shop, that's all).
Badsunbird

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Hey badsunbird,

what kind of intake is that? Is it the "procomp" intake or the "hurricane"?

Just wondering....I have been wondering about the port finish on them although I have never actually seen one.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 am

Hey Shred,

It's a ProComp, and the casting on it is terrible, just terrible! Lots of sharp jagged corners and seams, inside & out! The price was cheap, now I know why!
A good deal if a person is looking for a "raw" manifold to do alot of port work on. I'm not going to be able to use this manifold anytime soon, there is an easy 30 or 40 hrs of grinding & smoothing on it alone. This manifold would be a good candidate for "extrude honing", too bad I don't know of anyone who has the equipment and does that around here. I have spent almost 6 hours on it already, these pictures were taken before I started on it, I haven't taken any since I began. I have an old Weiand Xcelerator manifold that I'll have to use to "fire it up".
Here are a couple of pics of the outside of the manifold and it's "crappy" casting. The inside is much worse.
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

After taking the last three weeks off to do some "family stuff", I am back and at it again with camera in hand as usual.

I "popped" the old windshield out today and moved her outside to get her setup for sandblasting.

I started sandblasting the front substructure and realized that I need to use a little paint stripper to loosen up some of the old undercoating so that it will scrape off & blast off a little easier. I also need to scrap off the seam sealer that is still on the firewall. So, maybe I wasn't as ready to sandblast as I thought I was. Anyways, I am glad to be working on the Sunbird again and getting some things done. I haven't thought about her for several weeks, so my objectives are a little out of order currently. I've got to get my head back in the game.

Here are some more pics of the latest progress.
Last edited by Badsunbird on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Here are some pics of what she looked like after messing around sandblasting for about 5 or 6 hours. I definitely should have taken a little more time and did a little more scrapping.
Oh Well, another lesson learned, Sandblasting does NOT take everything off !!!

I wanted to add a couple pictures of my young son, he is 5 1/2 going on 18. He is always a joy to have "hang out" with me down at the shop, he so inquisitive and wants to learn everything about "Hot Rods", as he likes to say! He is very helpful and just loves to use the tools and get his hands dirty! Great Kid, just wish they would stay like that sometimes and not grow up.
Last edited by Badsunbird on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I have been sand blasting like sand is a penny a ton, and it has paid off finally.
I'm ready for a little welding and a few little repairs and I should be able to spray some of that "Box Orange" in a couple of weeks!
As soon as that is done, I'll be able to reinstall all of the front suspension along with the 5-lug g-body swap and get it sitting on all four tires again waiting to start mocking up the roll bar.
I was really wanting to atleast have it running by the end of April, I think I'll be lucky to have the engine sitting in it by then now! Alot of work and not enough time in the day!
Badsunbird

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:57 pm

Nice progress and thanks for the update. I like to follow everyones progress. It's just now getting nice enough here to start working on mine. Soon I'll be in the same shoes you are now.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks spyder_xlch,

It has been hit and miss here with the weather. Almost like playing "Russian Roulette" with mother nature. That's why I keep my "tow truck" sitting right inside of the door in case the weather changes suddenly. One minute it's raining, then turns to snow, and a half hour later, the sun is shining again!
Badsunbird

The "BadSunbird"

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:17 am

Have been busy welding and doing a few minor repairs of the front substructure. Sandblasted the new welds around the front CA areas & spring perches to prep them for paint and hit a few spots that I missed the first time.
Having sandblasted the required areas that were needed, I still had a full tank of sand and proceeded to get carried away. Well needless to say, the entire car is sandblasted and ready to start doing a little bodywork & get into primer.
I have attached a few pics as usual
Last edited by Badsunbird on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badsunbird

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals