The "BadSunbird"

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The "BadSunbird"

Postby vegagtfan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:08 pm

There was a Sunbird sitting in a salvage yard I went to a few months ago I not sure on the year but it was the trunk style and looked to be all there also billpappy has been pulling parts from a Sunbird in a salvage yard that is going to be going to the Crusher you might to talk to him and see about getting parts if you need any.

Travis
76 Vega Gt Hatchback V6
72 Vega Gt Hatchback V8 In Progress
vegagtfan

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:10 am

73astregt,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the right side inner tie rod. I checked it and sure enough, it hits the oil pan just as you mentioned ! I will have to do as you mentioned and find a small plug to seal it off . Thanks Again, I appreciate all the help from everyone !

Travis,

I think that the only parts I am really in need of are the front and rear lower valances and the rear bumper filler panel, which is probably asking for too much. And also perhaps a good set of the "honeycomb" grill inserts, like the TransAm had. Now I know that is probably asking way too much ! Other than those few things, i think that I have almost everything else that I need. Thanks for giving me the notice and perhaps the opportunity to find some of these things !

Thanks,
Steve.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza
75 Pontiac Astre GT #00002

"Bigger Than Some & Stronger Than Most"
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby 73astregt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:39 pm

steve , no probs on the heads up your welcome. thats what this site is about in my opinion people with a common interest helping each other. it was just one of the little quirks that i ran into when doing the swap in my car and figured it was better for you to find out the easy way than the hard way . btw , your car is looking great so far keep up the good work cant wait to see it when its finished!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby vegagtfan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Your welcome Steve I will look and see the next time I can get over to the yard and see what the grill looks like and if has the oher parts you need on it if it's still there.

Travis
76 Vega Gt Hatchback V6
72 Vega Gt Hatchback V8 In Progress
vegagtfan

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:23 pm

I bought a 1/4" x 28 hex head plug and put in the inner tie rod, worked great and doesn't come in contact with the pan anymore. Thanks Again ! :D
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby Badsunbird » Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 am

It has been a while since I last posted any news of any kind of progress that has taken place. And sad to say things haven't moved forward at a very rapid pace. I have started to figure out how I am going to hook up and run my transmission cooling system, I have swapped out my intake & carb so that I can prepare to get the engine started and then tuned and running fairly well before I put the other intake system back on it.

Probably the most significant change that has taken place though is that I have finally brought the car home to my own garage. I now have been able to get it set up to where I can work on it and leave it set up for a prolonged period of time and not have to worry about moving it. It is also nice to have it here in my own garage so that I can go out and work on it when ever I would like also, not to mention that it makes the wife a little happier as well !

I have been working on some small issues with the car though. Steering column and header rubs, don't like the way the passengers side header exits and rubs against the trans. pan, and I don't like the way the trans. cooling lines run right through that tight area also, that is going to be a fairly easy fix though. I also had an incident of where several of my wheel studs decided to come loose, I ended up having one heck of a time getting two of the wheels off, but I took care of that problem right away, I won't be having anymore problems of that nature.

As always I have included a few new pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun May 17, 2009 5:40 pm

I like the other shop better................alot more room! Doug in AZ 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Badsunbird » Sun May 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, Indeed there was alot more room in the other shop ! Just too much traffic in & out of there this time of year. Was becoming very hard to get anything accomplished. Maybe now I can get a few more things ironed out and finished up. Still a long ways to go though!
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon May 18, 2009 6:22 am

Wheres the tunnel ram?

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Badsunbird » Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Took the tunnel ram off until I get the engine running and get it tuned half way decently Shred. Then I will put it back on and get it tune to the engine and what it wants. I don't want to try and tune both at the same time. Might end up chasing ghosts, I don't know. Anyway, that is the plan for now.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu May 21, 2009 9:52 am

You must be pretty excited. I am for you. I hate to ask because I'm never sure how to answer myself. When can you drive it? The engine looks great. Good for you, man.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Badsunbird » Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Hey Nic,

I am getting there, I really haven't gotten myself worked up over it yet, there is still alot of work to be done before that happens. I am really not sure of when I'll be able to drive it again, I don't get to spend as much time working on the car as I used to, so needless to say, there isn't as much progress taking place as there was before. Thanks for the compliments though, they are always greatly appreciated Nic. Keep up the great work yourself on your project, can't wait to see & hear it fired up as well ! ! ! :D
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby Badsunbird » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 pm

Hello Again Everyone,

It has been a while since my last post, I have been tinkering with the car here and there on the weekends. Have the timing set on the engine, waiting on some -6 an fittings to get my cooling lines hooked up to the transmission. I am still waiting to get my supply & return fuel lines run, along with fabricating a sump for the gas tank & putting it on the tank. I made the grizzly discovery the other day when I was dropping the distributor in that the oil pump drive rod wasn't put in when the bottom end was assembled. So now I have to drop the oil pan & pump to install that. No big deal, just glad that I noticed that when I was setting up the distributor. That could have very well ended up being a very costly mistake.
I am also waiting to get my trans filter extention for the deep pan and install that. I did however come across one heck of a find about three weeks ago though. It seems that someone was cleaning out their warehouse of old GM parts, I was looking in our dumpster at our rental warehouse on the current job that I am working on. I noticed four box that looked to be about the same size as what wheels/rims come in. Upon further inspection of the boxes I pulled out one of the rims that was inside. It turns out that these are slightly used (only mounted once from what I can tell) 15X7 Corvette ralley wheels. Not too bad for a dumpster find. I will probably end up throwing a set of BFG's on them and using them for the street. And check out the $10.00 windshield that is sitting in the car, I scored that off of ebay about 6 or 8 months ago I do believe. It is a nos to boot !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Badsunbird on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby Badsunbird » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 am

Okay Guys & Gals,

Quick question here, Is it possible to drop the front cross member so that I can take the oil pan off without having to worry about "frame spread"? I'm sure that someone out there has encountered this problem before and has had to do this type of procedure. I really don't want to have to pull the engine and transmission out again in order to fix my small oversight. Hopefully someone can lend me a little insight to whether or not this is possible.

Thanks !
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza

Badsunbird

Postby BillPappy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:34 am

Yes Sunbirdman. I have even drove mine with out A cross member. ( Not Smart. ) But I got it that way ..
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals