finally some progress on my astre! now with pics!

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: finally some progress on my astre! now with pics!

Postby 73astregt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 pm

nic i dont think it makes a difference where you put the adjustor as long as its after the prop valve if you have one. one of the adjustable prop valve makers make a remote cable for thier valve so you could mount ity down low and put the remote control up on the dash or under it. the name of the company escapes me at the moment but its not ssbc.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

on another note i have installed the camaro t5 trans in the car with the monza bellhousing. we reworked the crossmember to work with the angled housing mount(the turbo 350-400 universal rubber mount fits the housing on the camaro housing) and the camaro driveshaft is only about 3 inches too long to fit.(shaft will be ready tomorrow at the driveshaft shop) i used the hurst billit plus shifter for the camaro application and reversed the shifter in the housing to lean it to the driver side . with the straight stick the shifter is right beside my knee ! sweet! i made a hole for the shifter in the tunnell and it goes from the back edge of the stock hole rearward about four inches and the shifter centers in that i personally would not want the shifter any further ahead as i can just reach it comfortably with my seat where i like it. ON THE PEDAL SWAP. i used the pedals from a 77 sunbird and after all the discussion on this subject i can now tell you the later pedals are a bolt in affair! even with only the four firewall bolts installed they are solid as a rock and the bracket at the other end sits exactly flush with the cowl area. all i did there was drill a hole up thru the cowland drop in a bolt with a large washer for a bit more support. you do not have to start chopping up pedal brackets to make them fit and this mod gets rid of the problem of trying to find an early wheel type clutch cable ill try to get some pics up as soon as i can of the trans crossmember and the pedal and shifter position. ciao!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:55 pm

more pics,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 pm

MORE PROGRESS! i started the s 10 spindal conversion after work tonite. got the car jacked up and the wheels off removed the stock spindals, lower ball joints and installed the later monza lower ball joints before quitting for the nite. TIP: WHEN REMOVING THE LOWER BALL JOINTS MAKE SHURE THE LOWER ARMS ARE SUPPORTED SOLIDLY SO THE SPRINGS DONT FLY OUT AND MAIM YOU OR KILL YOU! another tip is that when removing the ball joints if you cant borrow one , rent a ball joint press it will make removing and installing the joints a breeze! really is way much better that doing it animal style with a BFH!(big friggin hammer lol!) tomorrow ill hit the speed shop and get new shank bolts for the wheels(the s 10 wheel studs are metric and my bolts are standard thread) everything else is on hand and ready to go! ill be attempting to remove the upper control arms tomorrow so i can install the adjustable upper control arms from cosvega76(set up for s 10 upper ball joints) also im using bobs balljoint adaptors for the lower ball joints.
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 am

make sure and get some pics up , ive gotta start collecting parts once my vega gets here

nice job on the angled trans cross member
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 73astregt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 am

72ss, the crossmember (trans) looks pretty ugly in the pics lol. it still has to have all the welds ground down and painted it will look a lot better then! woke up saturday morning feeling like crap(cold) but made it to the speed shop and got the new wheel boltsi need for the s10 rotors they had a sale on so i bought a small diameter brake booster and bracket, adjustable pushrod and a tuning kit for my edelbrock carb(metering rods, jets, springs,etc.) also stooped at my local parts store and picked up a new s10 master cylender for the swap(not a rebuilt one lol). feeling better this morning so im getting back at it today and attempting to get the upper control arms off! ill see how much i can get done today and post later . ciao for now.
Last edited by 73astregt on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm

ok heres the pics of what i got done today! got the right side together but the left rear upper arm bolt will not budge! :bang: :bang: :x there just had to be one pr... in the bunch! take a look at the old setup , stock vega rotor redrilled to 5 on 4 inch dodge bolt pattern with a wheel adaptor on it to bring it up to 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern. what were they thinking?
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 pm

heres the new setup! adjustable upper control arm(from chuck,cosvega76) s10 spindal,delco drilled and slotted rotor, new caliper,and ceramic pads. upper ball joint is s10 and lower is monza with bobs adaptors!
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:32 am

looks good

im sure youll be glad to get rid of them adapters

72 SS PNL

Postby BillPappy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am

There was two stangs at the strip that been running adapters . One of them broke a few weeks ago. Don't know what they where thinking. I have very mixed feeling about such things. I have used them my self.. (not at the strip) And Now, not on the street.
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 pm

the billet adapters are alot stronger , also better to have 1 that centers on the hub

72 SS PNL

Postby 73astregt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 pm

ya i was never confident driving the car with those adaptors on it, i never have trusted that type of thing. it also limited me to having a p195 60 r14 tire on the front to clear the fenders turning. i may stay with those but i also have a pair of p155 80r15 bfg ta on centerline satin finish skinnys i might try after the swap is finished. im pretty partial toward the cragar ss i have on it now but the centerlines may not look too bad either!
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 92turbogtz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:57 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be really concerned about having the brake bias adjuster right by my left foot...
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby 73astregt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:49 pm

the idea behind putting the bias adjustor where idid is that ill be hooking up a remote adjustor knob to it and my foot never goes near it now anyways with the clutch pedal there!
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 92turbogtz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:10 pm

The area where you placed the adjustment block is normally where the dead pedal goes. Since you're hooking up a remote knob, accidental adjustment with your left foot won't be a prob, but the block certainly could interfere if you're gonna be doing any autocross or any type of serious cornering.
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals