72 ls1 Vega ( 10lbs of crap in a 5lb box?) Totaled!!

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 72 ls1 Vega ( 10lbs of crap in a 5lb box?)

Postby vegon71 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm

waybad wrote:yes call me a day in advance,, I will go with you,, love that place, i'm sure I need something from there :th:
thanks.. Tink

Will do, wont be this sunday, got other things lined up. Will wait for a nice day!
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby waybad » Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 pm

started on drivers side 1 3/4 headers, gonna be tight but I think it will fit:bang:
need to buy more bends :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby bill1978v8 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 pm

It is real tight in there. Good luck! :th:
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:17 am

man :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
I see why these things cost so much when someone who knows how to build them :shock:
well the drivers side is tacked together,,I hurt all over from going top to bottom trying this and that :bang: :shock:
It fits :dance: :dance: :dance:

it will be while before I get more pipe.. money is short :cry:
Tinker
waybad

Postby HAULIN' IT » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:46 am

Tink, I'm a bit concerned about the thickness & design of the brackets you have made to mount the rack...Remember the rack has to constantly resist side to side loads. A triangle gusset toward the inside would be a start & one going upward to help maintain the 90* bend wouldn't be a bad idea either. NOT picking on the quality of your build, just see it as a concern & felt it would be best to bring it to your attention. Header looks great! Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby waybad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Lorne,, thanks for the reply,,, the rack is just in there for now,,,you are correct about the extra bracing,,
probably can't see it but the bolt holes from the bolt one k-member are still there,,I planed to come off with some type of tubular brace's to the front frame after I get the frame repaired on the pass side :bang: .

what looks like a spacer between the rack and the L bracket, is one piece that goes all the way to the other side
of the mount????? hope that made sense? I will use a longer bolt also to tie it into the k brace that has yet to be made..
here is what I talking about,,I made mine more thicker and welded it on both sides...
http://www.freewebs.com/jzrusa/01.htm
PLEASE EVERYONE,,,, DON'T EVER THINK TWICE ABOUT POSTING QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYONE'S BUILD WHEN YOU
SEE SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE UNSAFE!! ESPECIALLY MY STUFF!!! :th: :D

Tink!!!
Tinker
waybad

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 am

waybad wrote:man… I see why these things cost so much when someone who knows how to build them well the drivers side is tacked together,,I hurt all over from going top to bottom trying this and that
You gotta admit, it's kinda fun though, don't you? Great job. Hang in there!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby waybad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 am

NixVegaGT wrote:
waybad wrote:man… I see why these things cost so much when someone who knows how to build them well the drivers side is tacked together,,I hurt all over from going top to bottom trying this and that
You gotta admit, it's kinda fun though, don't you? Great job. Hang in there!

NIX<
Yes very rewarding :th: ,, but not as young :cry: ,, and hurt A LOT LONGER afterwards,,, no progress for awhile..
have to replace a motor in the daughters 97 pontiac gran-am :censored: :censored: :cuss: :bang:
any news with yours???
TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby maliburacinfreak » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:32 pm

vegon71 wrote:
waybad wrote:cool!!
where are you going to be at? and what are you buying?? damn it's cold,, if you have time and you want, come by and look at my junk? I will be up after 8am, call first just to make sure.. 437 3255...Tinker

Well its going to be Monday (tomorrow) before I can get to e-ville, had something come up this weekend and couldnt make it. Im going to best one tire to look a some they have in stock 155 80r 15" cant remember the brand, but they can also order me a set of firestone in the same size. If I dont like either, then im just going to order BF Goodrich from firestone. Your probably not around through the week eh? Got your # saved in my contact list
HAHA! i actually work at best one. the 165s can be hard to get sometimes, i think they only make them when the entire world runs out of them. :lol: i work there and it took me several weeks to find a pair for my malibu wagon a few years ago.

any recent progress on this, Tinker? i may have to come check it out sometime.
maliburacinfreak

Postby waybad » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 am

sure come by anytime after 3pm,,I have finished the driver side header for the 3rd time(and last I hope?)
starting on the pass side this week, I've been building props for my daughters dance team (a lot of them)
I also got the hp tuners tuning dvd for my birthday 2wks ago and have been watching it over an over,, still only understand
about a 1/4th of it :bang:
this will probably be the last car I build like this,, takes to long and I don't have that many good years ahead of me( getting to old for this kid stuff)
plus I want to re-do my 55 truck after I get this vega going, if ever :bang: :bang:
be safe!! Tink
Tinker
waybad

Postby waybad » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:50 pm

how much strength will I loose by trimming the pass side brace marked here in yellow and red bottom left..
I probably need to take it back to the hole that is already there from the factory..headers need room!! thanks.. Tinker
Tinker
waybad

Postby VegaGT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:11 am

I have been studying what everyone is doing for sub frame connectors and have been looking at Nic's closely.

Down towards the bottom of the link is how he did his for the area you are looking at. NixVegaGT

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894/1973-chevrolet-vega/page-8
Chris
Looking for a good one...
VegaGT

Postby waybad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 pm

well I got them mean muthas together,,( pain in the @SS :bang: ) I need to weld the collectors on and check for leaks.. any ideas for checking leaks?
I would hate to send them in for coating have a leaky weld :shock: :shock:

pass side

drivers side

Tinker
waybad

Postby 76Vega » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I think the easiest way is if you have access to smoke machine (used for finding evap, vacuum leaks etc) you can cap off the upper holes and plug the smoke machine into the collector and look for the smoke. If you don't have one or access to one you try local garages and see if they have one to do it for you.
David
1972 Vega GT
76Vega

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby rocketride » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 am

If you have an air compressor that you can regulate the pressure on you could bolt a piece flat strap with the gasket to the flange side then use a short piece of 3" radiator hose (or what ever size your collector is) and a similar sized pipe cap on the collector. ( black pipe, PVC, ect...). You'll need to drill and tap the cap for an air hose chuck. Slip the hose over the collector then push the cap into the other end, use hose clamps on both ends to hold it. You shouldn't need to much pressure to test for leaks. If the pressure is too high you'll shoot the hose or cap off like a cannon. Don't ask how I know. Then use a spray bottle with soapy water to spray the joints, if you see bubbles you have a leak.
Hopefully this is clear enough.
This is similar to the way we test water pipping for leaks after welding where I work.

Jon
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals