Ishiftem v8 cosworth #2001 (soon to be LS powered!)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ishiftem v8 cosworth #2001

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 am

gotta say you have gone all out , and great work so far
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Kenova » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Who did you buy the threaded ball joint sleeves from?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Ishiftem » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Lefthander chassis.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Postby grandam75 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Nice work! This is going to be one of the best handling h-bodys for sure.
Martin from Sweden..
1971 Vega hatchback

1975 Pontiac Grand Am
1971 Pontiac Lemans Convt
1965 Buick Wildcat Convt
1972 Pontiac Firebird
1993 BMW 740i
grandam75

Postby Ishiftem » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm

80 MONZTA wrote:You are really moving along nicely with this. I like the pic of the new ball joint compared to the original one, almost twice as big.
Looks like your new upper control arm does not really set in any farther then the original upper control arm bracket did, does it?
What spindles are you using? Are they G-body, I thought you said that somewhere, but don't see it here in this thread.
Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Thanks for the compliment, but it's not moving along near as fast as I'd like. It's a pain. I am using the G body spindles reamed for the larger ball joints. The upper arms are mounted about 2 inches farther in, mostly due to the longer length, and the front pivot point is raised a half inch. The height isn,t a true comparison though, as the new arms are wider and since they are on an angle even the stock points would measure different if they were extended out. Make sense? Once the other side is done, I'll measure it all out again and post a comparison with the stock stuff. what the program gives me for dimensions and what happens in real life are a little different due to some unforeseen variations. Right now I'm 90% sure of what I'll wind up with. This is the first time doing something this drastic so there is a little bit of a learning curve.
Thanks for everyones compliments. I need the encouragement. I'm an under achiever by nature.
Ishiftem

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:59 am

Wow. As I've followed this thread, I am amazed at what you are doing. Incredible stuff that is innovative and cutting edge for the H-Body. 8)
Ishiftem wrote:This is the first time doing something this drastic so there is a little bit of a learning curve.
Thanks for everyones compliments. I need the encouragement. I'm an under achiever by nature.
Now, I am truly flabbergasted that you aren't an 'old hat' at this sort of thing. :shock: Looks like you do professional-quality work.

BTW, did you just remove some spot welds to get those 'A-Arm towers' off? I looked at the ones on my 76 Vega and I can't figure out how that are actually attached.

Also, I am definitely interested in the suspension geometry improvements to the H-Body front-end that you, Nix and other are discussing. I am just not very knowledgeable about suspension design. I am certainly interested in a car that handles well and stops quickly over pure straight-line acceleration.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 am

I'm with Tom on the spot weld thing. I was really fixated on a couple of your pix with the upper control arm gusset removed. I don't think it looks the same underneath on the earlier Vega. I was about to ask how you are going to transfer force up to your cool under fender side gussets you fabricated, then I remembered that you have the tubular supports to do that.

Off we go!!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Ishiftem » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Its just spot welds. They are kind of hard to see. There are about 14 in all. I then just cut the bottom above the top of the rail with a sawzall. 3 would like to brace the top of the spring pocket to something to keep the area from twisting. The problem is that it would need to be removable so I can get the upper control arm on and off. I am going to leave the hole left after removing the bracing as is. I figure its bigger than needed, but makes a good place to let the heat out. I hope to get the other side done tomorrow so I can move onto fabbing the oil pan, cross member and rack mount.
Ishiftem

Postby Ishiftem » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm back at it again. Finally finished the right side upper control arm mount. Also filled holes in the inner fender and ground the welds on the firewall. Next step is to put the motor back in the car and start on the cross member/ rack mount and also the steering shaft mods and remote servo mount. Oil pan mods too. I have a little side project to finish first though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ishiftem

Postby Ishiftem » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

I put the motor back in today and came to the realization that the sanderson headers I have will not clear the new suspension arrangement. Now I'm gonna need to to make some. Not something I'm looking forward to. My father said it would be fun :shock:
Ishiftem

Postby Roccosvega » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:28 pm

If you can completely change your suspention then making headers just might be fun for you.
Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Robert
Roccosvega

Postby Ishiftem » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Changing directions. Sold my 350 and picked up an LQ4 6.0 and a pair of L92 heads. Going to ditch the efi and run a carb. Also going to try and make the corvette "batwing" oil pan fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ishiftem

Postby ShovelHeadShawn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 pm

:shock:
WoW
I HAVE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING
ShovelHeadShawn

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Roccosvega » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Did you know they make a block that uses the LS induction with all the old school bottom end.
Even the engine mounts are in the same old school location. Probably kind of pricey though.

Robert
Roccosvega

Postby 72vega5.3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Your going to have fun with that combo. I put an LQ4 with a set of L92 heads from SDPC in a 70 buick. I went the carbed route as well, to save money. Not sure I saved any money though :rolleyes:
72vega5.3

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals