Ishiftem v8 cosworth #2001 (soon to be LS powered!)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ishiftem v8 cosworth #2001

Postby Ishiftem » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Roccosvega wrote:Did you know they make a block that uses the LS induction with all the old school bottom end.
Even the engine mounts are in the same old school location. Probably kind of pricey though.

Robert

Yeah I saw that. I can still use the scattershield I have and richmond 5 speed plus I have to make headers anyway so the only thing that block would save me is engine mounts. I really don't understand why any one would go that route. Thats just me though. A stock ls short block is good to 500 hp all day long with arp rod bolts and better oil pump.

72vega5.3 wrote:Your going to have fun with that combo. I put an LQ4 with a set of L92 heads from SDPC in a 70 buick. I went the carbed route as well, to save money.

For now I'm just gonna check out the bottom end, replace the rod bolts and all that torque to yield stuff with arp. Then I'll use the l92 heads, ls6 valve springs, some better push rods and a cam swap. The carb with the gm intake makes 20 to 25 hp more over any of the stock efi intakes and is cheaper than an aftermarket efi setup. Plus the engine compartment won't look like spaghetti. I like carbs. shooting for around 420 to 430 hp to the wheels. Once the car is done and sorted out, I'll step up my game.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Postby Ishiftem » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I got the oil pan I'm going to use. It's a corvette piece and has the best oil control out of all the stock LS pans. It will be a tight fit but I will get it to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ishiftem

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Ishiftem wrote:I got the oil pan I'm going to use. It's a corvette piece and has the best oil control out of all the stock LS pans. It will be a tight fit but I will get it to work.

Wow, you are using the stock location for the lower control arm mounting points are you not? I had looked into using one of those pans but thought the wings were just too darn wide to fit, maybe I was wrong. Can't wait to see how you do this.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 72 SS PNL » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

you gonna reuse them blue plug wires? ive been trying to find a set
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Ishiftem » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39 pm

80 MONZTA wrote:Wow, you are using the stock location for the lower control arm mounting points are you not? I had looked into using one of those pans but thought the wings were just too darn wide to fit, maybe I was wrong. Can't wait to see how you do this.

From some rough checking, I'm 94.32745% sure that the tips of the wings will fit between the control arm mounting points. I am sure I will have to install the pan after the engine is in, but that doesn't bother me. I'll post more about it when I get that far.

72 SS PNL wrote:you gonna reuse them blue plug wires? ive been trying to find a set

I am going to check them and reuse them if they are good. I want to concentrate my dollars on the rest of the car. They are the stock GM wires from the factory. Maybe you already knew that. Just throwing it out there if you were looking for a new set.
Ishiftem

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Forget everything else, I now want to know what formula you used to come up with a 94.32745% chance that it will work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Ishiftem » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Sure, it is (360/2 x 100) to the 10 power + 5 times the square root of 6 divided by your shoe size.
Ishiftem

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

:th:
:burn:
LeRoy
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 72 SS PNL » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:03 am

Ishiftem wrote:
72 SS PNL wrote:you gonna reuse them blue plug wires? ive been trying to find a set

I am going to check them and reuse them if they are good. I want to concentrate my dollars on the rest of the car. They are the stock GM wires from the factory. Maybe you already knew that. Just throwing it out there if you were looking for a new set.

yeah im aware they are the stock 1's , but the replacements are gray , red , or black

if you can measure the wires from end to end , ive got a near new set of MSD wires id trade for the blue
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm

If I wasn't so fixated on building a custom frankenstein engine, I'd totally go for the LS. Great engine. Light and powerful even in stock form. I'm looking forward to seeing the build pix.

OH! I wanted to let you know I'm embarking on the ackerman modifications in about a week. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm a bit nervous because it's uncharted territory. (I mean modifying the stock spindle to relocate the tie rod).
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby waybad » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Ishiftem wrote:I got the oil pan I'm going to use. It's a corvette piece and has the best oil control out of all the stock LS pans. It will be a tight fit but I will get it to work.

are you going to have room for the exhaust?
Tinker
waybad

Postby Ishiftem » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:If I wasn't so fixated on building a custom frankenstein engine, I'd totally go for the LS. Great engine. Light and powerful even in stock form. I'm looking forward to seeing the build pix.

OH! I wanted to let you know I'm embarking on the ackerman modifications in about a week. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm a bit nervous because it's uncharted territory. (I mean modifying the stock spindle to relocate the tie rod).

That sounds great! I may do the same, but I have to figure out what hats I'll be using for the discs and see if I have enough room to make a difference.
waybad wrote:

are you going to have room for the exhaust?

Of course! To over simplify, I am running the headers over the top of the wheel well, down behind the fender in the side cowl area, then 3" exhaust behind the rocker and poke out in front of the rear wheels. There will be nothing lower than the bottom of the rocker and nothing under the car. It will be the single largest fabrication project of the whole build. You'll have to wait for that though. The order I'm going to proceed in is 1. mount engine. 2. front cross member and steering rack. 3. steering shaft. 4. Open up cowl and rockers. 5. Mount to rotisserie and sandblast engine compartment and under carriage. 6. headers and exhaust. That is the game plan for now. It is likely to change with my mood.
Ishiftem

Postby waybad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 am

sounds like a plan,, I thought about opening up the rocker also for the exhaust, but there is supposed to great strentgh in the rockers? please take lots of photos!!! :dance:
Tinker
Tinker
waybad

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:37 am

Are you saying you're going to bury the exhaust pipe behind the rocker panel? I did research this area to run the frame rail. There was some reason I didn't do it… Or are you saying you're going to cut some clearance through the rear footwell. I guess the outlet would be lower than the pinch weld on the bottom of the rocker.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Ishiftem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Yes, the exhaust will run behind the rocker, or should I say through it. The outer rocker and lower fender will be replaced with brushed stainless held on the car by Dzus fasteners. It will be open on the bottom to vent some of the heat. I will be cutting through the area where the rocker, front frame rails, and cowl all come together. It is probably the strongest and most key section of the car. I have fully welded in sub frame connectors, 8 point roll bar tied into the connectors and the engine compartment bracing, plus a few more pieces to be added such as extending the subframe connectors to the front lower control arm points to more than make up for weakening that area. I would not dare cut into that area if even one of those pieces were missing. And yes, lot's of pics and descriptions will be posted. I appreciate the interest!
Ishiftem

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals