73 Vega Panel Chopped 84 Vette suspension

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 73 Vega Panel Chopped 84 Vette suspension

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am

Astre-mutt wrote:Interesting project. Sounds like you have some big horsepower. Not sure that the Corvette rear will solve your traction problems, At least not with out some big tires. If you feel the need to chop the top, why not flair the fenders? This could let you run 315 to 335 tires in the back, and 275 to 295 on the front. May be so flairs like the old IROC race car flairs, or maybe you could build the first IMSA chopped panel wagon.

Not sure how many horses it is putting out. It was built for this mud truck when we were winning most of the races we ran in all around Alabama.

We were running it through a Th350 built to shift manually with a Detroit Allison converter and late 70's GM full time transfer case in low lock (2 to 1 ratio) with 4.10 gears in the differentials. It was very strong from a standing start and coming out of the turns. We were also running a NOS system on it then but took it off when the engine went into the Vega.

I put the engine and transmission in the Vega after we quit the mud racing. I tried the car out on a quarter mile when I got it in the Vega and it would leave two black marks for the full quarter using the stock rear axle and 13 inch wheels and I hope that with the 16 inch wheels, larger tires and better gear I should be able to get it to hook up. The car has been neglected for a long time but I have time now to get it where I have wanted it to be for a long time now. The Vette suspension will allow me to get some bigger tires and wheels (over the stock 4 lug axles). I have thought about fender flares but think that the Vette suspension will allow me to get all the tires I need under the body and then I can work on the best gear to make it all work. An air dam and fender flares (like the IROC) would work too if I change my mind. :th:
Some men talk 'cause they got somethin' to say.
Others talk 'cause they got to say somethin'.

FYI
In the basement now:Image
97 Blazer AWD getting a Vortec 5.7 installed
74 Corvette Stingray getting restored to original sepcs.
46 Willys Jeep getting restored to original specs.
1978 Honda CX500 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)wife's
1974 Honda CB750 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)mine
Hondo

1971 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Postby monzajer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 am

Hondo, this is a VERY ambitious project. I like the look, the stance, and the color of the Maroon shot. Good job w/ that. Since this project is so ambitious you probably want to take yoga lessons or something, because you might just need it. LOL. Patience is going to be a BIG part of this, I think. Keep us updated on your progress w/ pics and info.

Atremutt, I think your rendering looks pretty good. Chopped, Corvette chassised IMSA Vega wagon---I like it.

Hondo, good luck and have fun

cheers jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 am

monzajer wrote:Hondo, this is a VERY ambitious project. I like the look, the stance, and the color of the Maroon shot. Good job w/ that. Since this project is so ambitious you probably want to take yoga lessons or something, because you might just need it. LOL. Patience is going to be a BIG part of this, I think. Keep us updated on your progress w/ pics and info.

Atremutt, I think your rendering looks pretty good. Chopped, Corvette chassised IMSA Vega wagon---I like it.

Hondo, good luck and have fun

Yes it will be a big job to get everything I want to do like I want it but I have always gone beyond what most people think is doable even when I built a dune buggy back in the 70's out of a Corvair and some tubing just because some VW'ers told me it couldn't be done.

Old picture that I scanned into the computer.

I will post the progress that I make and thanks for the good wishes.
:th:

FYI
1978 Honda CX500 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)wife's
1974 Honda CB750 motorcycle restored to original (waiting on warm weather to ride)mine
Hondo

Postby waybad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:07 pm

this is very interesting,, take plenty of pictures and get moving!!! :mrgreen:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:16 pm

waybad wrote:this is very interesting,, take plenty of pictures and get moving!!! :mrgreen:

Okay waybad, I will try to get some more pictures of the Vega and the donor C4 as soon as the weather here lets me.

I think that I have most everything I need to get the project done but I just can't get out there to work when the temp is below 32.

Thanks for the motivation. :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby monza75tc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Hondo,

The Vette frame looks like a good project. I do not know if the Vega has shorter front fenders than a Monza, but you might think about the front airdam from an early BMW 320/318. Check out my garage, I haven't gotten it finished, I guess too lazy, but as you say here in Northern Al is just a bit chilly out there.

Dick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

monza75tc wrote:Hondo,

The Vette frame looks like a good project. I do not know if the Vega has shorter front fenders than a Monza, but you might think about the front airdam from an early BMW 320/318. Check out my garage, I haven't gotten it finished, I guess too lazy, but as you say here in Northern Al is just a bit chilly out there.

Dick

Thanks Dick,

I am going to change the front and rear up some and the air dam in the photo would look very good on the Panel.
I have thought of going to the Pull-A-part in Birmingham to just look around to see what I can find from other model cars that I might incorporate into into my project.

I check out that sharp Monza in the garage and I'll be glad to give you you $150.00 back for that little Monza when your ready.

Keep warm up there in NA and thanks again for the input.
:th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby monzajer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Hondo, I like your attitude. The Corvair-dunebuggy is a great example. Where would we be today if Thomas Edison listened to the naysayers or if BEll listened to them or any of the others in history. I have always been a fan of "don't tell me I can't do it". I do $#!t just to prove I can do it. I say "Bully for you!!!".

Had a buddy years ago say "...no one else does it like that". My reply, "I don't give a s---. That's the way we're gonna do it." And it worked out very well for us. He doesn't say it anymore.

Anyway, have at it----Gitt 'er dunn! and have fun doin' it!

monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:15 pm

monzajer wrote:Hondo, I like your attitude. The Corvair-dunebuggy is a great example. Where would we be today if Thomas Edison listened to the naysayers or if BEll listened to them or any of the others in history. I have always been a fan of "don't tell me I can't do it". I do $#!t just to prove I can do it. I say "Bully for you!!!".

Had a buddy years ago say "...no one else does it like that". My reply, "I don't give a s---. That's the way we're gonna do it." And it worked out very well for us. He doesn't say it anymore.

Anyway, have at it----Gitt 'er dunn! and have fun doin' it!

Thanks jer

That's goin' to be a fine Monza you got in your garage when you Gitt 'er dunn! :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby Roccosvega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey Hondo, I bought my 72 vega hatch from a guy in Helena Al. Nice clean
car to start off with. beutiful country out there in Alabama.It was a nice
road trip.

Robert.
Roccosvega

Postby Hondo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Roccosvega wrote:Hey Hondo, I bought my 72 vega hatch from a guy in Helena Al. Nice clean
car to start off with. beutiful country out there in Alabama.It was a nice
road trip.

Robert.

Glad to hear you got one of the last good one around here.
They are getting hard to fine here locally.

I have lived around here all of my life and like it here most of the time but it does get hot and humid in the summer.
I live about 20 miles north of Birmingham and try to stay away from there as much as possible (like it out in the rural area).

Mike :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby randyt77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 am

Welcome to the forum Hondo :D
I've never been a fan of the panels but I thing the chopped look might change that. :th: good luck and post the pics. looking forward to seing the haircut!!
randyt77

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Hondo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 am

randyt77 wrote:Welcome to the forum Hondo :D
I've never been a fan of the panels but I thing the chopped look might change that. :th: good luck and post the pics. looking forward to seing the haircut!!

Thanks for the encouragement Randy.

Not many fans of the 50 Merc's either until the hotrodders started chopping the tops and puttin' the hot Chevy V8's in them. :lol:

We all build the cars that we want but deep down we all want others to envious of what we have built.

I hope that I can win you (and others) over to the panel lovers group.

Mike :th:

FYI
Hondo

Postby Ishiftem » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Here is a link you may be interested in involving a c4 irs in a unibody. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=119358
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Postby Hondo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Ishiftem wrote:Here is a link you may be interested in involving a c4 irs in a unibody. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=119358

Thanks for the link.

Lots of good info there. :th:

FYI
Hondo

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals