1975 Vega GT

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1975 Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 pm

i think don hardy was sort of a pioneer in making the vega v-8 conversion parts. does any know the guys know the history of his involvement in the hot rod industry. art
chevyart

Postby BadBowtie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 am

Summer has treated me and my h-body well, Monzaque was a great success, I no longer fear the +800km round trip which has something to say about the cars reliability now (*knock on wood*). It might be a harsh, hot and loud ride but it alway feels worth it at the end of the trip.
2017-08-05 16.49.10.jpg
Monzaque2017
2017-08-05 16.49.10.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 46 times

This summer I worked a lot with my father learning how to wet-sand, compound, polish and wax. Brought out a lot of the shine in my old worn down/resprayed paint. The car actually shines in the daylight and is smooth to the touch.
2017-07-23 20.42.44.jpg
Summer2017
2017-07-23 20.42.44.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Driveline wise the new clutch is incredible, both from a point of feel and bite. The car drives differently but definitely in a good way. The stop hops seem to be working, although I still occasionally get a little bit of shake but nothing that I would consider wheel hop. Attached here : https://youtu.be/OXDOAXmc2Tw is a quick video of the car fighting for traction from a dead stop and from a roll courtesy of some backcountry roads. When you think about the gearing, 2.20/1.64/1.28/1.00 and a 3.50 rear, the car seems to be making a lot of low - midrange torque and does pull strong right up to 6300-6500rpm without hesitation.

Because I cant leave well enough alone I'm in the process of building my own MPFI setup off an old Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit and what will be a Microsquirt. A lot of research and work will be going into the conversion as I am doing everything myself from harness to base maps. I cant keep myself from designing, building and improving this project. It will be sad to pull off the dual carbs when I get there, but having them run as well as they do I cant help but feel its the next step in what is a long term project.

Past little bit I havent driven the car much but it still comes out for groceries and cruising. Hopefully everyone elses summer has been going well.
Here is a picture of me trying to be incognito getting groceries.
VegaIGA.jpg
VegaGroceries
VegaIGA.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 46 times
James

1975 Vega GT 350 sbc, STR10 crossram w/dual 390CFM Holleys, M21 4-speed, Hurst shifter and ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby NVEGAR8D » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:35 am

It doesn't stand out at all! 8)
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 am

Great to meet you and see the bad bowtied Vega! 8) :th:
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:15 pm

BadBowtie wrote:This summer I worked a lot with my father learning how to wet-sand, compound, polish and wax. Brought out a lot of the shine in my old worn down/resprayed paint. The car actually shines in the daylight and is smooth to the touch.
Because I cant leave well enough alone I'm in the process of building my own MPFI setup off an old Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit and what will be a Microsquirt. A lot of research and work will be going into the conversion as I am doing everything myself from harness to base maps. I cant keep myself from designing, building and improving this project. It will be sad to pull off the dual carbs when I get there, but having them run as well as they do I cant help but feel its the next step in what is a long term project.

Past little bit I havent driven the car much but it still comes out for groceries and cruising. Hopefully everyone elses summer has been going well.
Here is a picture of me trying to be incognito getting groceries.
VegaIGA.jpg

Great, that you and "Dad" can spend some quality time with each other and learn from each other and improve your "Baby"

As for well enough alone I am the same way only I don't finish before my "Rethink's" [that is my official reason for non-completion! :oops: ] I hope you share in detail your progress, I too have thought hard about "MegaSquirt" [the version of their recommendation] for EFI and I really still want it!

Well as for "incognito" you are just short of the subtlety of a 40' inflatable, almost invisible. I LOVE it! :dance: :burn: :burnout: :hob:
Great to have finally met up at the "MonzaQue" this year as Zeke said, and your car looked really good, and now you've made it better, Man your makin' me look bad. :( Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (Soon To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Its always great to put faces to the cars we see on here at MonzaQue, one day it will be VegaQue when we take over! Great seeing you guys.

As for the EFI project, it will be extensively detailed and shared here. Its something I've always wanted to play with and learn, but going DIY instead of a kit will make for a lot of work/effort rather than straight cash. Nothing wrong with the off the shelf units as I have considered them myself, even as some people have suggested running dual throttle bodies with the crossram. Most of the kits out there will probably work better than what I put together for the first little bit, but it just isnt how I want to set mine up in the long run for adjustability.

Also I am very glad you guys agree on my inconspicuousness, I work hard to blend in.
James

1975 Vega GT 350 sbc, STR10 crossram w/dual 390CFM Holleys, M21 4-speed, Hurst shifter and ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Previous

Return to Project Journals