73 Notchback Back - Half

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby gmagilla » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Started tub job last week . Here's some pics . Ran out of time trying to resize pics. Windows says my product key is no good , so I finally found a free resize download .Will be 4 link , 12bolt spool , QA1 coil overs . Fendwells are stretched 4 5/8" . Quarters need replaced .Rear end is 45" back of wheel to back of wheel , it's at the fab. shop now getting narrowed . Will weld floor to crossmember .I'll put more on here as I go .
100_0727.jpg
100_0738.jpg
100_0744.jpg
100_0746.jpg
100_0767.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Re: 73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby chevy art » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am

gonna be a real nicely engineered car when you are done. keep the pics coming in art
chevy art

Postby gmagilla » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Found the mock up of the rear valance I made for my 71 , 15 years of rust and some dings from moving it around :( . I cleaned it up a little then put it on the car to located and weld lower outside mounts , you can see tabs bottom right first pic , got a lot of grinding to do back there yet , wiatn to get the rear end in and wheels on it so I can get it off those blocks , it moves around way to easy on them . I used the flip down license door bolt holes for center mounts . Now to make a new one for the 73 . I don't know if I will put a tank under the car , if I do I'll cut out the fill hole behind the license plate .Don't look to good now but it will end up lookn like rear valance in last pic.If I hadn't SOLD that car I WOULDN'T be doing this again :bang: . Took me 3 years to build that car and I had a lot more time then than I do now :bang: . I guess this car will be done in about 12 years :bang: .
100_0801.jpg
100_0823.jpg
100_0818.jpg
100_0821.jpg
my old car on ebay in Longwood,Fl..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:33 am

Subscribing. I want to keep posted to your project, looks like its going to be an excellent ride
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I have a picture from your old car that you posted
my%20car%203.jpg

How did you manage to fit a 5" gauge? I only have like 4 1/2" of room to mount a gauge and the only thing i can think of is that the gauge has some sort of "Overhang" on the rest of the dash.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gmagilla » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:58 pm

BadBowtie wrote:I have a picture from your old car that you posted
my%20car%203.jpg

How did you manage to fit a 5" gauge? I only have like 4 1/2" of room to mount a gauge and the only thing i can think of is that the gauge has some sort of "Overhang" on the rest of the dash.

The gauges are mounted in a piece of aluminum and at the bottom of the gauges the aluminum is only as wide as the bezel on the guages ,maybe 1/8", it looks like the aluminum is striaght across but it curves down under the bezels and up over the steering column , but there is a bulge in the plastic dash piece also under each guage. To do the bulge I heated the plastic and used a coffee can to get the shape of the bulge right . It don't take a lot of heat to get the plastic dash in the shape you need and keep the heat moving as not to burn or distort the plastic to much . The grain of the plastic didn't look to bad either , but I don't think anyone would ever look under there anyway . Hope this helps.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Got my 12 bolt back today and set it in the car , along with the QA1's . It's 39" end to end and will be 45" back of wheel to back of wheel and that should include the disk brake hats . Pinion is centered .Will cut those mounts off the top . It's 25" between the frame rails . The pic. of the wheel & tire should be close to ride heighth .Next are axles , gears and the cage .Already have the spool .Gotta get that patch made for the fender .Aren't those new Camaro's almost the color of these old Vega's , been thinkn of paintn it that color with the gray stripes .
100_0861.jpg
100_0873.jpg
100_0876.jpg
100_0879.jpg
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 pm

I will replace the quarters but I had a little time Sunday so I tried making a patch for the quarter , if I screw it up no big deal . I placed the piece of metal in the hole and started welding from the top down and bent it by hand as I went . The only thing is the body line is not as sharp at the fender lip where it tucks under to the tire. With a body hammer I think I can make it match the fender lines . When I get new quarters I'll use the old fender to close the gap after I stretch them . I just wanted to see what it would look like at ride heigth with that hole patched .
Also finished welding up the frame and put cross bar in above shocks .
My welder isn't very old and already the trigger is screwing up , keep loosing contact and my welds aren't very good to look at , thankfully they are where no one will see them . I don't know if I can take the trigger apart or will need new one .

Forgot to add pictures :oops: , don't know how to delete , see next post :lol:
Last edited by gmagilla on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:41 pm

I will replace the quarters but I had a little time Sunday so I tried making a patch for the quarter , if I screw it up no big deal . I placed the piece of metal in the hole and started welding from the top down and bent it by hand as I went . The only thing is the body line is not as sharp at the fender lip where it tucks under to the tire. With a body hammer I think I can make it match the fender lines . When I get new quarters I'll use the old fender to close the gap after I stretch them . I just wanted to see what it would look like at ride heigth with that hole patched .
100_0899.jpg
100_0902.jpg
100_0903.jpg

Also finished welding up the frame and put cross bar in above shocks . I think I'll have room to mount my mufflers on their sides along frame rails between front crossmember and cross member at the shocks , mount a sheild on muffler to keep some of the heat off the tires .Have the tail pipes exit behind the tires .I'll do some measuring and buy a cheap muffler to make sure it will work .
100_0894.jpg

Can I cut the front crossmember to make clearance for the 3" exhaust , maybe notch it 1" , just a slight arch boxed . The crossmember is going to be welded to the floor all the way across for more strength .
My welder isn't very old and already the trigger is screwing up , keep loosing contact and my welds aren't very good to look at , thankfully they are where no one will see them . I don't know if I can take the trigger apart or will need new one .
gmagilla

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 am

I noticed you have weld marks along the outer lip. It looks like you've sorta boxed in the lip. Is that right? Good idea.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Johnson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am

Sweet vega.
`75 Monza Pro Street
Johnson

Postby gmagilla » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:I noticed you have weld marks along the outer lip. It looks like you've sorta boxed in the lip. Is that right? Good idea.

Nope , those are heat marks from the plasma cutter , I didn't keep it moving fast enough . I'll be replacing them because of the rust , so I wanted to see how close I could get without blowing through . I give $150 bucks for the plasma cutter off e-bay ( hong kong ) but it's a cuttin little devil , used it to cut a lot of the parts when I turned my Suburban into Avaburb .
gmagilla

Postby iced98lx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:38 am

:lurk: taking notes ;) :D
1976 Vega Wagon
2000 Corvette 427
2006 Mini Cooper S
1995 GMC Yukon - If I'm driving this it's snowin or I'm towin
1998 Corvette 'Camzilla' - Gone but not forgotten
iced98lx

1976 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby gmagilla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Set the stock muffler in by the frame rail . The case is 16" long x 5.5" thick . A muffler with center in offset out will work and that will solve where to put my mufflers and not cut on my crossmember . I will widen the tunnel at the crossmember to run my exhaust above the crossmember along side the driveshaft and connect to mufflers . The muffler is not close to the tire so no heat problems on sidewall . I had thought of oval tubing under the crossmember but going over will be better . I want my tail pipes to exit behind tires pointing down at a slight angle . All will be 3" tubing .
100_0907.jpg
100_0908.jpg
100_0917.jpg
gmagilla

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:16 am

gmagilla wrote:I give $150 bucks for the plasma cutter off e-bay ( hong kong ) but it's a cuttin little devil...

WOW! That's a good price. I've always wanted one. Maybe I should consider that.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Next

Return to Project Journals