78 Yellow Monza - High School Car FOUND!!

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

78 Yellow Monza - High School Car FOUND!!

Postby murphidaho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:17 am

I have just recently finished restoring a 1978 Monza. I undertook the project after finding the car on the internet. It was for sale as a parts car. It caught my eye because it looked very similar to my first car in high school. I had been surfing the internet, looking for pictures of yellow Monzas, thinking back to my first car. I found this one and was taken aback because it also had a black stripe on the rocker panel just as I had painted on mine.

After further research and some correspondence between the seller, I was able to confirm that it was my car. I immediately rented a car dolly and went to pick it up. I made the mistake of selling my first car, and I wasn't going to let it slip away from me again!

What I found when I arrived was a far cry from what I had sold some 20 years previously. It was my car... But it was absolutely destroyed, and a lot of the parts had been swapped. I towed it home, without realizing what I had just gotten myself into. I had never restored a car before, this was going to be an adventure.

My '78 the day I picked it up off the showroom floor

Here is my Monza the day I sold it in 1988. I shoulda never done it....

And here it is, after repurchasing it in 2008.

The drive home

The neglected engine bay. Full of feces and weeds.

Interior

Custom Speaker Installation... Nice work...

From here, My son and I stripped the car of its interior and cleaned the engine bay, body, and underside the best we could without further disassembly.

It's cleaner than it was...

I will continue to post pictures of the progress of the restoration until it's completion. The overall goal of the project is to restore the car to factory new appearance. But maybe give it a little more power... with consideration to originality of course.
murphidaho

Re: 78 Yellow Monza - High School Car FOUND!!

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:04 am

very nice find !! i bet its a odd feeling to have your old ride back
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:40 am

It's looks a little rough around the edges but not that bad to me. It should be fun.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby bill1978v8 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:17 pm

That is so cool that you found your car. I know mine was recycled back in 89. I'm subscribing to follow along. Good luck and post up if you need any parts or anything.

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Wow... that's amazing.... and probably very rarely happens. You are lucky.

I know a gal that still has her '78 Firebird that she had in High School back around '84.
She says she likes my latest '79 Trans Am, but I told her that it's not my car. It's some-dude-in-California's car..... that I just happen to own. She actually has HER car.... Just like you. Very rare indeed.

Good luck with your restore. You are lucky.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby rocketride » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 am

Welcome to the board and congrats on finding your car again. :th:
I've got a buddy that did the same thing with the '67 Chevy II SS that he had in High School.

Jon
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby murphidaho » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Thank you guys for all the comments! I consider myself lucky to find the car again. I hope you enjoy the build process. I am happy to answer any questions if you see things in the pictures you are curious about.

Monza deconstruction continued as we attempted to piece together the missing history of the car. After making a few calls, it was determined that the car sat in a junkyard from 1994 until 2008 when it was sold to the dealer that we purchased it from. We couldn’t figure out what happened to it before that, because apparently the junkyard picked it up, abandoned, on the side of the road in ’94. I sold it in late ’88, so there is a 5-year period where I really don’t know what happened to the car. But some how it made its way from Sacramento, California (where I sold it) to Montana (The location of the auto salvage yard and also where I repurchased the car.)

The only reason the car is as complete as it is, was because the auto salvage owner thought the car was too nice to part out, and had set it aside for 14 years. You would think that this would have preserved the car the way I remember it, but it seems that a lot happened between ’88 and ’94. There is a lot I might never find out, but my best guess is that my car was stolen and stripped and possibly joy ridden. The interior is not original to my car. But does seem to be from another ’78 Monza, as the build sheet was found inside the passenger side seat.

It seems that a few other things have been replaced as well. The rear end is out of a 1980 Monza, according to the serial number stamped on it. The Transmission is from the same Monza as the interior, it is a Borg-Warner T-50. My original transmission was the Saginaw 4-speed. The Engine is original to the car, the 3.8 Liter Buick that came in the California Monza’s.

This is a picture of the sticker in the driver’s door jam. This first thing I did was start decrypting serial numbers and VIN numbers to make sure that it was in fact my car.

As my son and I continued to disassemble the car, it became evident that it had been heavily abused. As you can see in this picture, the inner tie rod arm was bent…. Who knows what kind of impact could have caused this.

One of the most painful looking dents on the car can be seen in this picture. If you examine the rocker panels, it looks as if someone high dead centered the car on a log or something. The underside of the car has a distinct impact all the way from one side to the other, as if it was run up onto a curb or something bigger.

The pile of parts continues to grow as we strip parts. Wiring harness, front and rear facia, rusty exhaust, heater unit, radiator, etc….

The driver and passenger side floor panels resemble swiss cheese. I’m not sure if they did this from the factory? Maybe to save weight? Haha It was still wet down there when we pulled the carpet out, so the rust must be from years of water pooling while it sat in the junkyard.

Here is a picture of the rear end after removing the gas tank. Notice the rear sway bar. I added this when I was in college. I also added a front sway bar after scrounging the lower control arms off a factory Monza Spider, since mine didn’t have the sway bar mounts on them. This was one of the ways I determined that it was in fact my car.

A picture of the engine bay after removing the radiator, heater core and heater assembly, a long with the exhaust and manifolds.

Engine Removal.

Engine successfully removed. Buick 231 cu in. that came in the California Monza’s. It is mated with the Borg-Warner T-50 5-speed. It doesn’t start, but it does spin freely when rotating the fan.

Here is the stripped engine bay. Needs a lot of work…

The new temporary home for the Monza. This should give us plenty of room as we start ordering new parts for the car.

Stay tuned for more updates….
murphidaho

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 am

Congrats on finding your car as I know mine ( 62 Bel Air) ended being someone's 80 Toyota or a frig somewhere . I do want to duplicate my first car someday. At least we have our first car we bought brand new (Monza) but its used and well abused. Don't really know whats instore in the future for it either. Good Luck on your project and it looks like a parts car may be needed for some of your fixes.

Doug in AZ 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Kev442 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Absolutely amazing to find your first car after all those years. I know my first Starfire went to the boneyard, someone saw it dead in the Lambeau Field parking lot for a few days and I spotted the nose cone from it on another car later.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

Postby murphidaho » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting. It's been a while since the last time.

After stripping the car and removing the engine, it was time for some body work. There wasn't one panel on the car that didn't have a ding or dent or some major rust. It was hard to tell what was going on under all those layers of yellow paint, so I decided to sand blast the car and see what I was really dealing with.

What I found was not pretty.

The amount of bondo in this car probably doubled the weight! Ha!

The passenger side of the car was looking a little better, but not much.

The driver's side floor ended up being swiss cheese.

I want to make sure to do the body work right, so all that bondo needs to come out now.
murphidaho

Postby SOLSAKS » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:25 pm

I loved the photos, especially when you first got it when new,... a story similar to mine...but i got my 77 in 1986 and sold in 93/94
mine was also in good shape when sold, but mine has been trashed far worse than yours, i like your shop,
Remember,....like a friend told me, if you had not sold it
you would not be having all this fun now, it will make you love it even more when completed.

thank you for posting the story and photos.

dave in NC (SOLSAKS)
SOLSAKS

Postby murphidaho » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Now that the car is in the hands of my trusted body work guy, it's time to turn some attention to the engine.

I took the engine to a local race shop to have it rebuilt. I had a factory original restoration in mind, at least I wanted it to look like it did when I had sold it. However, while I'm at it, I want it to have more than the original 105hp. Although I'm not prepared to just drop a crate 350 in it, I wanted to see how much power would be possible from the Buick 231 that is in it. Especially after I get rid of all that California emissions control that was on it from the factory.

After getting it torn down, it was apparent that whoever last drove the car did not believe in oil. It had been run dry for a long time and there were a fair amount of metal shavings in bottom of the oil pan. After examining all the parts, there wasn't much to be salvaged. The block had to bored out 60 thousandths over just to get rid of the grooves in the cylinder wall. We were lucky that we got a smooth finish at 60 thousandths, anything more and we would have had to scrap the block, or maybe attempted to sleeve it...

After hot tanking and fluxing the block.

Metal shavings in the oil pan.

Burnt out cylinder heads.

Trashed crank.

New crank.

New parts...

Newly surfaced flywheel.

Balancing the new crank.
murphidaho

Postby bryan79monza2+2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 am

wow that car looks just like the one i own now ( but mine is grey).... looking at all the pics and seeing all the work your doing to yours is inspiring me to get out there and do some work on mine. i was hoping to get mine painted this winter i was kinda thinking about going with the same paint job they used on the gone in 60 seconds mustang ( pepper grey and black stripes). but any ways it looks like you have a good start to a nice car :th:
bryan79monza2+2

Postby monzajer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Congrats on finding your car. Very few are able to do so.

Nice base to start with and you are definitely off to a flying start.

I figure someone else would have posted this by now, but is that tail panel the same type Len from BC is trying to bring back to life? This one appears to be in real good shape. Is it possible to get a mold made of it and have someone re-pop these for any other members in need. It sure looks like a good candidate. Just curious. 8)

Keep up the great work. :th: :th: You are an incentive to many of us. . . :wink:

cheers, jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby murphidaho » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 am

It has been far too long since I have updated this thread. I am going to post a few separate reply's split up by body and engine and interior.

Lets start with more engine work. We preceded to do a lot of machining to dial the engine in. align honing, port matching, re-machined valve seats, etc.

Intake Manifold

New Pistons machined to lower compression

T&D Rocker Arms

New Paint, Valve Covers, Holly Carb, MSD Distributor..

Looking Good

Paired up with a rebuilt Borg Warner T-50 tranny
murphidaho

Next

Return to Project Journals