My daughters Mirrage project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

My daughters Mirrage project

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:14 pm

This is the Mirage as I purchased it in fall o 2010.

drivers side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue55CHEVY

Re: My daughters Mirrage project

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 am

Nice. Has the front airdam too.

Are you going to paint it? Original color scheme?
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby gerbsinmd » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:30 am

That's a great start! Post lots of pictures. Can't wait to see the progress.

Welcome to the club!
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 am

Our family was just discussing paint and interior.

Between the two cars I have enough red to put together an original red interior including to clean dashes. Both of which will require painting (dye). I have all but the front seats and dash in black. I have never been a fan of the red interior.

As far as exterior color, if we decide to stay with the red interior then the color for the outside would be white. I never really appreciated the red & blue stripes on the top surfaces of the car. So it might be a stealth Mirage. I really like the silver one that one of the members has and it also could go with a red interior.

I have come across the same information that I am sure you all have, on the effective date for red, silver, and black mirages. That would allow for the silver paint if a non white Mirage could ever be verified.

You may also have noticed that one of the j-channels for the rear quarter moldings is broken. I really don't like the idea of using one for house type paneling. I am considering gluing the panels to the body.

Let me know your thoughts on a non stock interior and exterior colors . I have never been a purist on any of my other vehicles.
Blue55CHEVY

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I think the solid white would look great. Personally I'd like to have the body pieces molded into the body for a clean smooth look. I agree, I never got into the red and white stripes either but remember those were made during the bicentennial period. Todd's silver Monza looks good while mine is a bit darker gray factory color for 1975 with the maroon interior which I also like over the bright red. You are kind of limited with any shade of red/maroon interior as far as exterior colors go. I would say you are pretty much limited to white, or various shades of silver, gray, or red.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

Well its been a while since I updated the progress of the project. Health problems and the inability of parts have primarily been the culprits. With the help of Clyde, John C. and others,I now have nearly everything to reassemble the Mirage. Besides a wheelbarrow full of cash I am looking for the following. 1-Spark plug heat shields for drivers side. 2-The tin stove pipe that is mounted on the drivers exhaust manifold. 3- The two rubber bumper-etts for the rear panel.
4-A 1 foot section of original Mirage J-channel for the Mirage panels. One of mine is cracked. I know no one has good ones for sale but hopefully someone has a broken one that I can get a foot from them.
Last edited by Blue55CHEVY on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue55CHEVY

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 am

A few more recent picturers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue55CHEVY

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am

more pics
Blue55CHEVY

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:51 am

Reinstalling the rear end so I can get the car off my hoist.
Blue55CHEVY

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:54 am

I tore apart three rear ends and I lucked out on this one, 3.08's on a 2-series posi!
Blue55CHEVY

Postby stage169 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Blue55CHEVY wrote:Besides a wheelbarrow full of cash I am looking for the following. 1-Spark plug heat shields for drivers side. 2-The tin stove pipe that is mounted on the drivers exhaust manifold. 3- The two rubber bumper-etts for the rear panel.
4-A 1 foot section of original Mirage J-channel for the Mirage panels. One of mine is cracked. I know no one has good ones for sale but hopefully someone has a broken one that I can get a foot from them.

Hope the health issues are good now. Can't help with the wheelbarrow but if you want you can have this spark plug heat shield :D Pay shipping and its yours if you want.

Can't say bumperetts aren't out there but I've not seen any. You could make yours look good though. I cut out the metal in mine and took a heat gun to them. They look a lot better but I haven't finished them. Need some kind of glue to fill and hold the studs.

If you are keeping the exterior white you might be interested in these drawings on another post. These were options for the Mirage before the final design. If you want I have some great scans of all the Mirage items I'll send them to you. If you do one on your car you'll have the history to go with it. Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35294&start=45

Keep up the good work! Brian
stage169

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 am

Finally getting the front together. I used poly bushings and a set of freshly machined ferrels. Thanks John.
Blue55CHEVY

Postby Blue55CHEVY » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am

The car is finally back on all 4's and the body work has begun.

A friend of mine (Chad) is two days into the body work. Besides the progress that can be seen in the pictures, he also
has the passenger rear quarter dent pulled out and the body work on it work performed (see disassemble photo to see damage
that was discovered after Mirage panel was removed). The goal is to have all of the sheet metal including the body in primer/filler
in five days and start the block sanding started. That is what I can afford to pay Chad at the time. I did all the sand blasting to
clean up the doors (all but the skins) and the wheel edges on the fenders. As soon as the fender on the make shift table is finished,
it will be on to the hood. Mean while I will be taking all the steel brackets still mounted to the aluminum bumpers, and get them
blasted and ready for prime and paint.
Blue55CHEVY

Return to Project Journals