My 1975 Monza 2+2 factory V8/4 speed car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

My 1975 Monza 2+2 factory V8/4 speed car

Postby robsta11111 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Well I have her all cleaned up, installed an MSD 6AL, Rod-lites, and a huge sound system. Now I have to order a 4" cowl hood so I can put a nice hi rise intake like an Air Gap or Hurricane with a different carb. Tons of work to do. Paint job in the future. Was thinking of a Matte' black or a Satin Black and then old school enamel flames, white to orange to blue or however they did it. I think that the shiny flames on a flat black would be cool. The flames would be raised I think due to the different types of paint. They got our 30x40 slab poured for our shop today! WOOT! I found 2 vega wagons with titles for 800 bucks for t he pair. One is in good shape the other a parts car. Pops and I are going to start buying cars and un-finished projects to flip for profit.
a true hot rodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick, that the very act of pressing the throttle, would result in instant death
robsta11111

Re: My 1975 Monza 2+2 factory V8/4 speed car

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Looks like a nice solid car and a 75 too :th: Yeah, I am partial to 75's even though later models had some upgrades with the engine and brakes. Fortunately those can be changed. While some people are all about the flat or satin black paint I'd rather see a nice "normal" paint job on it. Just my opinion but I feel if you are going to go through the work and expense to paint the car why not have a real color of your choice? The flat and semi flat look good on some cars like street rods or such but I would still go with a nice color. Whatever you decide keep the pics coming...........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby robsta11111 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:40 pm

I might just go back with white. Then I don't have to paint door jams.
a true hot rodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick, that the very act of pressing the throttle, would result in instant death
robsta11111

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I think it actually looks good in white but why not paint the jams? Getting doors off of a H body is pretty simple by just pulling the door hinge pins out. No alignment issues to worry about and now you can properly paint the inner part of the door as well as the jam. Painting a car is a fairly big deal and it's much easier to disassemble everything possible to get the best results. Pull all the trim, key locks, marker lights etc. You can do all this yourself even if you have someone else paint it and save a lot of labor costs while getting a higher quality job.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:18 am

if you want to sell your car this guy is interested
(from Craigslist) Looking for a 1975 white chevy monza 2+2 v8 4 speed that was for sale on
Craigslist in the Dallas area, Is the car still available,Please
contact me by email or call 914 330 7243 Stefan
monzaaddict

Postby robsta11111 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:24 pm

ok went and bought a Kenwood deck, Alpine amp and Alpine sub. Gonna be alot of updates in the next 4 weeks. All bolt ons not getting crazy. Also going with another set of rims other than my Rod Lites. Here are the amp and sub I installed bit ago, installing the head unit tomm.
The one on the left is a 2 month old Kenwood sub I pulled and the other is the Alpine sub I put in
here is the 600 dollar amp I got new for 110. 2 year warranty on it and sub
I don't own jack with sound systems which means I put them in best I can and if it looks ok I am good. Can't see this stuff thru the tint anyway. Sounds great, can't wait for the new deck to go in tomm.
robsta11111

Postby robsta11111 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 pm

ALL this is changing Saturday or as soon as I get the hood in and delivered to Dallas Air Brush. First pic I replaced the factory valve covers and ALL the lines, hoses, ect.
Then I got the old school moroso's and blasted them and painted them. Ordered ALL the upper and lower bushings today for the front end, had to come out of California. Does anyone here work with aluminum? I need a custom gauge cluster panel made to put aftermarket gauges in. Last picture is a car i LOVED that was 105k original miles and was totaled in the hit and run. Bent it pretty good and really wasn't totaled I could have fixed it, but because parts were so high, they totaled it. It's death made the Monza possible.
robsta11111

Postby robsta11111 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Valve covers I ordered
robsta11111

Postby robsta11111 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 pm

monzaaddict wrote:if you want to sell your car this guy is interested
(from Craigslist) Looking for a 1975 white chevy monza 2+2 v8 4 speed that was for sale on
Craigslist in the Dallas area, Is the car still available,Please
contact me by email or call 914 330 7243 Stefan

Yeah not for sale anymore. I found my sanity and a big insurance settlement check made it possible to play with it and make it a nice ride, not that it wasn't before.
robsta11111

Postby robsta11111 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Ok I have my Zoom clutch kit in was on the porch from FedEx when I got home. Car is sitting in the shop about 75 yards from me and I can't even get myself to go over there and work on it. In the last 2 weeks I had about 8 nights of 3-5am in the shop working on it. I think I am taking today off. No need to thrash on it to get it on the back on the street if it takes me a week to put it all back right then it takes a week. That being said I will head over to the shop in another hour and work on it. I have a metal plate, 4 screws, and a cadaver bone in my neck so all the "under the car with neck bent at odd angles" kicks my butt. I still have the whole clutch cable/pulley/pedal thing that I hope the new clutch kit fixes.

In the old clutch assembly the throwout bearing had been smashed in from pressure, so it was in wrong or some other issue. Time to put it all back together and see happens. I know the little bit I drove it after I added all the bolt ons and MSD it was a little winding monster. Ready to get the Monza back on the street in my little town and sit at red lights next to Hybrids and make yuppies cringe and wrinkle they're noses at me for my very nerve to drive such an environmentally hostile car. God I love that look of indignation.
robsta11111

Postby sirrick4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 pm

:lol: I just love that "driving an environmentally hostile car". :th:
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby robsta11111 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Got her up and running Sunday nite.......friggin awesome. Car doesn't even sound the same and completely came alive with the changes. Screams thru the gears and comes unhinged in first and 2nd.....no me being me I am going to putt her around like I always do. I live in the country and there is about 2 miles of straight road before some curves to my house and that is where i run her 85-100 and love it. All new suspension, all new top end, full MSD, new system......now I have to scrub her down and mount the 4" fiberglass cowl hood.

Thanks for the help on the upper ball joints Clyde if not for you it would still be sitting on jackstands. If you have ANY dealings with Clyde expect top notch help, Your the man! :th:
robsta11111

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

Glad you got it on the road and all's well. Have to keep those 75's alive :lol:
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby qld monza » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 am

I second those motions Clyde is the man and keep the 75s alive :th:
qld monza

1975 Chevrolet Monza Hatchback

Postby robsta11111 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 am

Been without a computer until recently. Other one died and I could buy car parts or a new puter, I chose car parts. cjbiagi if you still have that stuff re-send me your mailing address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

She had a lifter rattling and when I pulled the valve cover I had a stud that had started to pull out. Soooo instead of just fixing that and being dome with it, I pulled the whole dang engine/trans and decided to make her a Monza SS. There is a place about an hour from me that sells 1st and 2nd gen Camaro stuff. So I am ordering ann the 327 and SS badges for a 1st gen. Hell 98% of the people around here have never even SEEN a Monza so they don't even know what it is.

Started installing the new Painless wiring harness and I disagree with the directions stating " no electrical experience needed"! Have all new carpet to put in, new engine, but still have to buy all my new gauges, balancer, +.100 long push rods, lifters,and then the odds and ends stuff.

I REALLY like the headers. I have a friend that has a plating business and he said they usually charge between $450-500 to chrome a set of headers but he will do it for $200 because he likes the lil car.

Engine is almost ready to go back in the Monza. 1969 327cid, .030 over, domed forged pistons, powdered rods, steel crank. The heads are old school Double Hump heads with 202 Manley stainless steel valves, screw in studs, guide plates, roller rockers(very nice set of them), stud girdles. Ordered a set of Sanderson street rod headers and they came in Tuesday. They were actually priced better than I thought. They made and shipped them here from California to Texas for $298 bucks. I should have got them ceramic coated but that was an extra $200 and for that I would rather have them chromed. Still have to take them to get chromed.

The cam was custom ground in Dallas. The card is out in the shop so my numbers might be a little off but it is a 520/540 lift and 294/305 duration at 104 lobe seperation hydraulic.
Last edited by robsta11111 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robsta11111

Next

Return to Project Journals