Motion clone

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Motion clone

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

After looking at several gas tanks painted silver, I decided to try something different. After finshing the body work and applying the primer, I painted the tank using Rustoleums silver hammertone. After that, three coats of flat clear finished it off. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the flat hammer tone has a galvanized look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm

This is a better shot of the rear brake line and the one on the rearend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wizeguyrc

Postby waybad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 am

GAAAAUUUDDD that thing is beautiful!! are you planning on driving it at all when you are done?
Tinker
waybad

Postby Wizeguyrc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks. Yes, it will be driven..lol
I do have some photo stuff that has to be done with Geoff Stunkard before that. A couple of mags are interested in the car and Coker Tire has said they want to do some stuff in their advertising.

Who knows....we will see.
Wizeguyrc

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am

Great to see some quality restoration work being done on these cars lately. That's exactly what is needed to get some recognition and respect for these cars. :th:
As in any restoration it's the attention to detail that separates the good from the excellent. Many times it's not even about spending a ton of extra money it's just the extra time and dedication that goes into it. Great work !
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Wizeguyrc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 pm

When I was 16 to 17, I cooked at a Bonanza steak house. A man named Steve Gilmore was the manager there. Everytime he walked passed the guys on the line, he would always lean over and say, "It's all in the detail". I heard that 15 to 20 times a night.
Even though I didn't know it at the time, that was going to stick with me when I started doing "real work"..lol
I sometimes think I'm wasting my breath on my kids, but then I always remember those words making an impact on me later in life.....so, you never know.
I need to find him and let him know he made a difference.

Thanks btw.
Wizeguyrc

Postby 1100kaw » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Yea
detail, over the top detail.
Really really nice build. I like the tank treatment. takes the shine off but looks fresh. prob hold up well too.
nice ride so far, i'm sure it will get some publicity.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you.

Every since installing the Motion headers, I have been thinking about making new front motor mounts that match the ones offered by Motion Performance.
Going by the pictures in the Motion Vega book, I made an auto cad drawing and had the pieces laser cut.
Got the short block put back together after having the pistons fly cut. Everything worked out fine and now it's time to get this motor together. :th: Busy Saturday!
Wizeguyrc

Postby motionwannabe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Looks Great!!!!!
motionwannabe

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Thank you. Hopefully the headers will be back from the coaters soon!
Wizeguyrc

Postby motionwannabe » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:33 am

I really wish we were putting a big block in ours but we already had all the small block parts and since its my dads project, I couldnt talk him into it. I think the 383 stroker will be ok for now but its just not a big block. I did get ours striped and painted last week. Waiting for trim parts to come in the mail and for the exhaust shop to have an opening to connect all 4 primary tubes on the side pipes to the primaries on the headers to make them all work. I'll have to update my Project Journal this weekend. Cant wait to see more progress on your car.
motionwannabe

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Either way, I'm sure you guys will enjoy the car. It's funny to see peoples reaction to having a big block in one of these things though. They think it's like being able to split an atom. lol
We got home last night and I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me. My friend picked up the headers
from the coater and dropped them off. Sometime this evening, I'll get some pictures up.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

The coating turned out great!
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I've had some questions about how the coating was applied.
Mike at M&R Coatings in Kodak, Tennessee done them. After blasting them, he applies a coat of the silver ceramic and bakes it on, then
applies two coats of the white and rebakes them again. Total price was 275.00 and that included the blasting.
Wizeguyrc

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 am

did they give you any warnings for baking the coating in , and not doing it on a fresh build ?

swain tech also does some good coating work and uses white

everything is looking great so far !!!
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals