72 Vega GT , LS 5spd

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 72 Vega GT , LS 5spd

Postby 1100kaw2 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:48 pm

About the stripper... I only did the big body panels and made sure to tape off areas so It couldn't drip or run in a nook. all was cleaned repeatedly with thinner. everywhere else was sanded, wire wheeled etc as ness to remove original laquer paint. Then all was epoxy primed. Then bodywork.

As far as final paint prep goes. every piece has been prepped and jammed with color and clear before assembly. The only real trim I have I have to tape around is the quarter glass lower molding. I'm not going any farther with assembly till painted.
Having glass in car makes it easier to tape and keep sealed. less flopping paper and dirt to blow out of a missed nook.
Panel painting an exploded car runs risk of color variances and metallic flop which could show in certain light. I also plan some graphics that have to line up across panels, so it needs to be together. As far as the small tape lines.... I 1500 the part of the jams I need to before taping with fine line. After paint, wet sand edges and buff with 3" detail buffer. As for the hinge jams, I use foam tape to keep it neat. Anything that gets in there I will just have to hand rub.
These cars were assembled when GM painted them. Hell, there was only red primer in the hinge jams and above the hatch opening. You guys know that. Probably part of the reason they rusted so easily.
My job will be 500% improvement on that. LOL

Thanks for the compliments on the work. Please keep in mind. This is going to be a driver. I have not went over the top on bodyworking, bridging and blocking across jams. Fixing gaps etc.... I want it to at 1st glance to appear as super clean survivor. Then the quality hits after a 2nd look.
Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Postby HAULIN' IT » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 am

Darrell, I shouldn't have used the words "cop-out", that wasn't fair to you or the amount of work you have put in the car. Sorry!
Are you using PPG paint/clear as well, since you are using DP epoxy? What clear do you use for the jambs?

Just a bit of back round of what I base my thoughts on. About 8 years ago, I started painted vehicles in pieces & adapted this into our daily routine. We do 500-550 a year, this year we have done over 600 vehicles. Most of them with at least one panel off of the car...MANY with 3-4 panels off,Tri-tones & all. There is a "set of plans or rules" you need to follow to make it work out, but it is VERY doable time after time. We have not had to repaint a vehicle for "shade variation", nicks or scratches in several years. We do have to repaint a couple a year for what was thought to be a "blendable" color in the booth...once taken out & you can stand back, it wasn't. This though has nothing to do with the way it's done...just a judgement that wasn't mean to be. Also, it's amazing how few panels get nicked putting the vehicles together. It's a case of: "This is how we do it, you just be careful & not nick, scratch, ect. Got it? Good!" & they guys just get it & we go.

I won't go into cluttering YOUR Journal of my "guide/rules" of how to make it work, but if you have any interest in trying it (which I strongly suggest you do) on some other, maybe smaller project...send me a PM & I'll share everything I've learned. Which also goes with anyone else on here also of coarse. The amount of time: in the booth, waiting for paint to dry, masking, masking materials plus the "nicer quality jambs" without any additional effort, makes it a WIN-WIN & more WIN.

Going to be a sweet little ride Darrell...Keep us posted!
My Two Cents, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby 1100kaw2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 am

No Offence taken Lorne
All PPG. DBC and 2042 clear in jams. Havnt decided on exterior clear yet. will be PPG thou.
Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm

HAULIN' IT wrote:Darrell, I shouldn't have used the words "cop-out", that wasn't fair to you or the amount of work you have put in the car. Sorry!
Are you using PPG paint/clear as well, since you are using DP epoxy? What clear do you use for the jambs?

Just a bit of back round of what I base my thoughts on. About 8 years ago, I started painted vehicles in pieces & adapted this into our daily routine. We do 500-550 a year, this year we have done over 600 vehicles. Most of them with at least one panel off of the car...MANY with 3-4 panels off,Tri-tones & all. There is a "set of plans or rules" you need to follow to make it work out, but it is VERY doable time after time. We have not had to repaint a vehicle for "shade variation", nicks or scratches in several years. We do have to repaint a couple a year for what was thought to be a "blendable" color in the booth...once taken out & you can stand back, it wasn't. This though has nothing to do with the way it's done...just a judgement that wasn't mean to be. Also, it's amazing how few panels get nicked putting the vehicles together. It's a case of: "This is how we do it, you just be careful & not nick, scratch, ect. Got it? Good!" & they guys just get it & we go.

I won't go into cluttering YOUR Journal of my "guide/rules" of how to make it work, but if you have any interest in trying it (which I strongly suggest you do) on some other, maybe smaller project...send me a PM & I'll share everything I've learned. Which also goes with anyone else on here also of coarse. The amount of time: in the booth, waiting for paint to dry, masking, masking materials plus the "nicer quality jambs" without any additional effort, makes it a WIN-WIN & more WIN.

Going to be a sweet little ride Darrell...Keep us posted!
My Two Cents, Lorne

I'll be reaching this stage soon enough and can't decide which way to go - assemble then paint or paint then assemble. I personally would love to read all that you have learned and invite you to start a "painting in pieces" or something like that, thread.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby megavega » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am

1100kaw2 wrote:Nope, never have come up with it. I spent some time tapping, pecking, massaging the one I had. looks way better. If I find a nice one, its not too bad to pull that window out and switch it out.
Its fine. I keep telling myself its just a driver.
Darrell

Darrell, Just checkin out your journal, your making some nice progress on your car!
I have a pretty nice one here(lower right back window reveal molding). I could probally be persuaded to trade you for the louver section you cut out of the hatch on your car. I want to add a small louver section on each side of my hood above each turbo to let the heat out. let me know, I can post a couple pics of it. I have 3 of those trim peices but 2 are dinged and cloudy, 1 is pretty nice and shiny/clear with no dents.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Been Gettn a little more done. Thought I'd share.
prepped and painted all the interior metal pieces. Rear seat hinges, metal seat back, hatch trunk floor panel. misc.stuff.
Built a cool subwoofer box to sit in spare tire well. 10" sub. Finished out hatch trunk area.
Modified interior rear panels for the 6x9's and made custom speaker grills.
custom fit and sewed up carpet and installed.( had to be custom because of all the tunnel and floor mods)
Interior all done, with the exception of final install of door panels after paint, and mirrors/handles installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1100kaw2 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:57 pm

pics
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:07 pm

I got my S 10 Lower BJ rings to weld in lower arms.
torn all down, cut and hacked as ness. Cleaned everything and painted.
The upper vega BJ's were as tite as new.(22k mile car) so I decided to leave them alone. and just keep the Gumm adapters.
Moved lowers in about 1/4" and welded up.
I Actually just came in from reassembly of front end. Just did basic eyeball and tape measure type alignment. set it back on ground and looks real good. Lower arm about the middle of their adjustment and camber problem obviously corrected. Cant imagine I will have any problem at the alignment shop later.

I know we have all seen pics of this done. But heres a few more just for reference.
Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:11 pm

I think this was the last kinda major thing I had to finish up.
Have to get car to the exhaust shop next.... when this crappy ass weather breaks.
Then she should be ready for some shake down runs around town.
I'm sure I will have issues here and there to address, but basically, except for the pretty stuff. Its about done.
Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I forgot to mention .
On these S 10 swaps, I haven't driven the car yet, but sure seems like the steering don't turn very far before it hits the stops on lower arms.
Are you guys trimming this stop, or cutting it off?
Or, am I just jumping the gun, and it will be fine on the road?
Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

Postby zeke » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Nice looking interior and I love the "spare sub"! The best stereo systems are hidden. :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73cos » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Nice!!
73cos

Postby bbcowboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:11 am

Nice work, love the interior....
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 1100kaw2 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Well
Finally got exhaust on the car. went together pretty good. Sounds decent. I'm still not sure if this system will stay, but works for now.
Drove the car down the road for the 1st time. Seems pretty tight.
Still needs to be aligned, and ecm tunned.
Feels kinda lazy, im hoping cause of generic tune when I had ecm flashed at beginning of this project.
over all it was good and un eventfull.
I have driven 3 times now, even ventured up to gas station.
prob bout 15 miles total. got a couple strange noises when I brake hard, I will have to chase em down.

well, now its back to starring at it in the back of the garage and saving money for next steps.
feels good to be this far thou.
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
1100kaw2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals