1980 Sunbird in 24 Hours of Lemons

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1980 Sunbird in 24 Hours of Lemons

Postby rcazwillis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 pm

In August of 2011, we purchased a 1980 Sunbird with no engine. The owner had it destine for a drag car, but changed his mind. He had done the 5 lug conversion all around. He also had everything except the engine to put a small block into the car. In addition, he had an absolute ton of extra stuff. We sold $1200 worth of parts.

We built a 24 Hours of LeMons car called the Speedy Monzales. The car is themed after the cartoon character Speedy Gonzales. We installed a 4.3 v6 with the turbo 350 that came with the car. The car was in the running for the top award of Index of Effluency until the rods exited through the pan. However, the car was recognized with the Organizer's Choice award!

There are a lot of pics of the build and results at this flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedymonzales/

Next step is to improve the handling, build an engine that will last for 18 hours of full throttle racing, and make a run for the IOE soon.
rcazwillis

Re: 1980 Sunbird in 24 Hours of Lemons

Postby chevy art » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:36 pm

nice loking car . is that what the stock grill looks like, or is that another one fabricated into the car. i like the grill, whatever it is art
chevy art

Postby rcazwillis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:31 pm

chevy art wrote:nice loking car . is that what the stock grill looks like, or is that another one fabricated into the car. i like the grill, whatever it is art

It is fabricated. It started life as a dog gate. It looks good from 10 ft. Up close, it is not impressive.
rcazwillis

Postby BadBowtie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:24 am

If you look at the pictures in order, it looks like you did a nice job bringing it back to life :lol: Good build, always wanted to go see a LeMons race, you guys can be pretty creative with 500$
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rcazwillis » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:12 am

BadBowtie wrote:If you look at the pictures in order, it looks like you did a nice job bringing it back to life :lol: Good build, always wanted to go see a LeMons race, you guys can be pretty creative with 500$

The car was in remarkably good shape. One fender had rust in the bottom and there were two dents. Being nothing special at the time, it now has a new lease on life. At least until we use it up and move on to something else.
rcazwillis

Postby rcazwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 pm

We have begun working on the car for the next race. We need a lower gear. The 2.73(?) are just not low enough to get the RPMs up. I know I can use a late model 7.5 setup with different pinon bearings, races, and seal. Since I am shooting for something in the 3.40 range, it will require a series 3 carrier or the fat ring. This route will cost around $350 + setting up the gears. The local pick and pull sells complete rear ends for $125 with disc brakes. Since there are no H-body cars in the local yards, I am considering other options.

From what I understand, the later model Camaro's have the same 3 link design. Looking at pics on line, it appears the torque arm bolts are designed the same as the Sunbirds. First question: Am I going to be lucking enough for the Sunbird torque arm to bolt directly to the housing of the Camaro rearend? If not, how close is it?

Second question: How much wider is the Camaro rearend? If I go with a complete housing, I will need to move the spring perches and the control arm attachment points. This does not concern me as I can cut off the existing ones and weld them where I want or build them from scratch. However, I am concerned with how far outside the fender the tire will sit. Some is fine and good. Wider rear end should help in handling.

Another option is to use an S-10 rear end, but this will require building a torque arm mount. I would like to avoid this as it will take a lot more time than the lower control arms and spring perches combined.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have other options I have not considered, let me know.
rcazwillis

Postby Nocash » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 pm

rcazwillis wrote:We have begun working on the car for the next race. We need a lower gear. The 2.73(?) are just not low enough to get the RPMs up. I know I can use a late model 7.5 setup with different pinon bearings, races, and seal. Since I am shooting for something in the 3.40 range, it will require a series 3 carrier or the fat ring. This route will cost around $350 + setting up the gears. The local pick and pull sells complete rear ends for $125 with disc brakes. Since there are no H-body cars in the local yards, I am considering other options.

From what I understand, the later model Camaro's have the same 3 link design. Looking at pics on line, it appears the torque arm bolts are designed the same as the Sunbirds. First question: Am I going to be lucking enough for the Sunbird torque arm to bolt directly to the housing of the Camaro rearend? If not, how close is it?

Second question: How much wider is the Camaro rearend? If I go with a complete housing, I will need to move the spring perches and the control arm attachment points. This does not concern me as I can cut off the existing ones and weld them where I want or build them from scratch. However, I am concerned with how far outside the fender the tire will sit. Some is fine and good. Wider rear end should help in handling.

Another option is to use an S-10 rear end, but this will require building a torque arm mount. I would like to avoid this as it will take a lot more time than the lower control arms and spring perches combined.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have other options I have not considered, let me know.

Try using just a s10 axle instead of the whole rear end. Worked for me.
My Cars:
1977 Chevy Monza Sport 2+2 / 5.7 Liter
Nocash

1977 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rcazwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Nocash wrote:Try using just a s10 axle instead of the whole rear end. Worked for me.

I have S10 axles that give a 5 lug wheel bolt pattern. I need a lower gear ration. Did you get a lower gear ratio by using S10 parts?
rcazwillis

Postby 76Vega » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Talk to monzaz he should be able to either hook you up with the correct parts or point you in the correct direction for your rear end options.
He has a e-bay store here.
http://stores.ebay.com/jdraceandrestoration
David
1972 Vega GT
76Vega

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby rcazwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 pm

76Vega wrote:Talk to monzaz he should be able to either hook you up with the correct parts or point you in the correct direction for your rear end options.
He has a e-bay store here.
http://stores.ebay.com/jdraceandrestoration

I have been in contact with him. His products are an option. I think I can do it for a lot less, after all it is a $500 LeMon race car.
rcazwillis

Postby maliburacinfreak » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 am

im sure you can find an S10 with a 3.42 gear in any salvage yard
maliburacinfreak

Postby rcazwillis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm

maliburacinfreak wrote:im sure you can find an S10 with a 3.42 gear in any salvage yard

Yes, there are a number of s10s in the local yards. However, I would have to build the bracket for the torque arm. I am trying to avoid all that fabrication. I can swap the gears out of it, but that requires another $160 in bearings and seals for the pinion.
rcazwillis

Return to Project Journals