DAD's Highschool 79 Monza (secret rebuild)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

DAD's Highschool 79 Monza (secret rebuild)

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 pm

hey everyone!! wanted to share with you my next big project! my dad has had his 79 Monza Spyder since highschool and has loved and cheerished this car his whole life!! never getting rid of it no matter what!!! one thing he always told me growing up was dont ever sell your first car cause you will regret it someday! anyways my dad has lots of project cars and projects around the house. he always puts others needs before himself and never really gets done what he wants or needs.

ok with that said my father has had this car since he bought it new in 79. but like most with moving and getting married and having kids the priorities have changed... and the car got neglected... so the car got left on the back burner... :( so now he raised two sons along with a great mom we are gonna restore it for him. Dad got my brother and i into a business where now we can make good money too thanks to our father! so i have been working on cars and building and customizing for a while now and i feel this spring/summer will be the best time to finish the Monza. i feel if i dont do it now it may not ever get done and i REALLY wanna do this for my father!!

So heres the plan..

LS1 T56
rebuild stock rear end
subframe connectors
cage?
new one off k member
s10 front spindle conversion
My own Monzter Motorsports brakes front/rear- check out monztermotorsports.com
(the biz was/is my dads idea. "monz"ter from Monza ;)
i have started the biz that is that website from where my dad started it i/we are taking it further.
thinking 18-19" staggered wheel setup. beefy sway bars.
all new interior
classic auto air
shaved firewall
rack and pinion?
more to come.

remember this is all being done with out my dad knowing! i could get overhauling to reply back so im doing myself :)
any ideas or feed back or tips will be greatly appreciated. i have the LS1 and T56 now. just ordered the Painless harness and some cobalt autometer gauges yesterday.

i plan on going to get/steal the car in march/april some time. between now and then i will be getting all the parts i need. likw the fiberglass fenders,hood, front facia... etc.

also i looked at the car secretly on monday and its gonna need a new passenger door skin/or door? anyone have one rust free?

i have a couple pics and will post more later.

please any tips and ideas will be greatly appreciated

Check out my 79 Monza Build thread
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Re: DAD's Highschool 79 Monza (secret rebuild)

Postby Nocash » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Looks to far gone to me, alot of rust and disrepair. I would suggest getting a H-body donor car to swap non rusty parts from. Good Luck!
My Cars:
1977 Chevy Monza Sport 2+2 / 5.7 Liter
Nocash

1977 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Nocash wrote:Looks to far gone to me, alot of rust and disrepair. I would suggest getting a H-body donor car to swap non rusty parts from. Good Luck!

it really isnt bad at all rockers are great. driver door good. passenger door needs work. floors are solid.

plus i have to use this body its sentimental value...
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Well it does look like you have your work cut out for you but as long as it is not rusted you should be good. It is important to check the unibody very thouroughly especially around the front and rear suspension components since that's where the strength comes from.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:05 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Well it does look like you have your work cut out for you but as long as it is not rusted you should be good. It is important to check the unibody very thouroughly especially around the front and rear suspension components since that's where the strength comes from.

thats what i got out of dad over the past few years. he had a 350 in it and was stout and he started to crack the k member. and with the issues and fitments i have seen on here i will be making a one of "engine cradle"... and re-enforce it very well. main thing is getting it running and driving and painted and interior to new again. cause its going to be missing and dads gonna ask questions ;)
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

one of my other projects
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Wow, that looks really nice. I like the mix of flat and gloss black.

Don't care for the headlights but that's strictly my opinion. I can definitely see where it might really strike people as cool, it just didn't hit that note for me.

Everything else though looks killer.
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby rtm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I spy
w/my little eye
A REAR MOUNTED TURBO :th:
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby Zanie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:26 pm

It appears that your dad is one of "those guys". the guys that refuse to sell the car in the yard & say they are going to restore it someday. meanwhile the car rusts way beyond repair.
I am so glad that he has sons that can steal it out form under him and fix it for him. I appaud you for that!

My neighbor did that to his fathers 1957 Tbird. The bird was in the garage for years & years. Car cover on it, and boxes on the cover. in need of a restoration, but just sitting.
The son took the car when he wasn't home, and put a 78 Grand prix in its place. Put the cover on the grand prix, stacked the boxes, and dad never knew it was gone.... until they brought the restored bird back.
I don't know where that monza is on your dads property, but find a decoy car and park it there, so he doesn't know until youre done! do it early enough in the spring and all that crap growing on it will cover it right back up.
I dunno how you'll get that 7.5 rear to hold up to an LS1& T56.
Good luck!
Dan
73 vega wagon LS1 T56 build thread
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36579
Zanie

Postby waybad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 pm

do it!! :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:43 am

thanks guys for all your comments and encouragement. gimme some thoughts and comments on what wheels you think look best?

also having a guy do a rendering for me too
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 am

and thinking about modding his front end like year one did and use chevy silverado lights... thoughts comments?

viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Return to Project Journals