73 vega hatchback

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

73 vega hatchback

Postby vickyvega73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 am

Well I think it's time I shared my project with the community. I have a 73 vega hatchback that I'm trying to get a protour type look out of. I've been on and off this car over time. If I don't have money I have time, and if i don't have time it seems I have some money. Or something eles seems to always come up. Funny how that works. Anywho, I really have enjoyed reading and watching Megavega's build and hope to borrow some of his suggestions on wheels and what not. I currently have a 5.3 out of a 2000 Silverado that's going to stay fuelinjected, matted to a T5. The rear diff has been sourced from a s10 with 3.73 open for now. Did a lot of reading on lt1swap.com and did my own harness, and bought hptuners to play with the pcm as needed. Mounted the pcm above the glove box inside the dash. I'm on to the fuel system next. Got a walbro 255 to go into the tank. My tank is in pretty good shape so i'm sending to a rad shop to be dipped and cleaned out. I plan on cutting out the top and welding a ring and collar from a later model tank in with the built in sending unit. Bought a nice imperial line bender to bend all my fuel lines and a 37 degree flare tool for jic fittings that will connect hard lines to braided flex lines for movement in the engine bay and fuel tank.
As the car sits in our shop I'm stripping it down to metal to do all body work, and repair rust in common areas. Found some second gen camaro taillights and housings at the Indy GoodGuys show this past year, so I need to get me a tailpanel next and graft that in. The car has had a rough life with banged up doors, fenders, and the first 6 inches of quarter panels. Nothing that can't be fixed just more time. I'll be posting pics as i go. Thanks for looking, John.

vickyvega73

Re: 73 vega hatchback

Postby vickyvega73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am

More photos from when i replace inner front sheetmetal thanks to LL8 Vega Gt and a great deal, and talk about a nice and really smart guy. Photo of my moved harness bulkhead to provide room for my hydraulic master cylinder.

vickyvega73

Postby vickyvega73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am

Can't forget my helpers

vickyvega73

Postby BadBowtie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 am

Looks like a good project! I noticed you moved the fuse box/worked it for a hydraulic master for the clutch (I assume). I would suggest doubling that area up, when I did mine I doubled mine up by sandwiching two plates against the factory firewall and I still have a bit of firewall flex (pretty flimsy stuff from the factory). Keep us posted on the build! 8)
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby vickyvega73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 am

Hey thanks. I did make a backing plate for it and welded it up. I can't remember but it seems like i was able to weld against another brace to help give it some strength. I'll have to double check. I did how ever have it all working together when i had the gen 1 smallblock but now i have to punt because my ls engine to t5 flywheel is a 168 tooth and that doesn't fit in my monza bell housing. Think im going to try a 90 or so chevy truck bell housing with a push style slave instead of the pull type. :th:
vickyvega73

Postby megavega » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 pm

I'll be checkin out your progress, we have 2 boston terriers,and a daughter also....lol :D
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby vickyvega73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Yeah, my mom and dad actually started breeding them for awhile and Lucy (in the pic) was one of the pups. We have a new addition named Sampson. He's a half lab half german shepherd mix. We got him from the animal shelter about 2 weeks ago.

Here is a pic that i photshoped to give everyone an ideal of what i want my vega to look like. I can't remember where or when i downloaded this picture, so I don't know who's car this is. I hope they don't mind that I'm using it.

Oh, and Megavega. I want to run a 17x7 all the way around but i can only get a 4.25 backspace. In the back it shouldn't be an issue with a .25 spacer but the front you said a 4.5 would be ideal for the front. How much of an issue do you think i'll have with fitment. Here's the wheels I'm thinking. They are rocket velocity with hyper silver centers.
vickyvega73

Postby megavega » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 am

There will be problems up front, back will be "ok". You can run little rubber band tires and get away with it like 205 series.
Learn from my mistakes and find something with more backspacing or your tire will hit front fender edges. Of course this all depends on how low you make the car sit but your gonna interfere either alot or a little. I see your a bodyman :th: so maybe you could stretch the front fender wheel lip and get away with it.
I narrowed the front stance by 1 inch on each side because I could only get a 4 inch backspace on a 7 inch rim. I do have an idea to narrow the stance more if needed. Was going to machine the rotors so the wheel bearing race will set back in further,making the rotor go back further on the spindle, but then that of course is going to require mods to deal with the brake caliper and such from the rotor placement... :bang: then was also going to machine the face of the hub of rotor and use threaded wheel studs and take about .125" off that, its plenty thick.

Been alot easier to buy 4.50" backspace wheels :( .....LOL!! :lol:

that photshop car is AWESOME!! love the color combo and wheels!
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

megavega

Postby vickyvega73 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am

I see, what if I was to cut and narrow my control arms by 1/4-1/2 with the same wheel combo? I could just box them in once i shortened them. I could open arch up on the fender more or stretch but I would rather keep my lines on the car stock. I guess i should get a wheel and tire and try to mock it up and just see what i need to do. Like you I'm going to run a 2" drop spindle with ac springs. I wonder what if any ill effects shortening the a arms would do the geometry of the alignment.
vickyvega73

Postby megavega » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:53 pm

well your only a 1/4" off, I was a half inch off so youd be alot closer. I think you could take a tad off rotor hat face and then try it, youd likely be good, especially if you dont slam the car down real low. Like I said you can always get somewhere in the smaller tire range.

I dont know if narrowing the control arms is worth the effort for so little amount, but its not hard to do especially if your going to use all s10 stuff(balljoints), you can improve the caster and camber so its kinda a win/win.

lower the ride heigth ,the worse it gets interference wise.

will be watching your journal, looks good so far! :th:

megavega

Postby vickyvega73 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Sounds good Megavega. Thanks for all the input. I think that I'm going to get the wheel that I want with 4.25 backspace and section the lower control arm and just move the upper joint inboard. Since I have the lower control arms sleeved already, I will section them and with a keyed cut and box'em in. They will not go any where that way. I'm going to go with a 1/2inch inboard move and see what i got. Then if i need more i take the rotors and have them machined. Thanks again, and I'll post pics of my progress. :th:
vickyvega73

Postby vickyvega73 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Well this may be the end of the vega project. :cry: I used to live in Crittenden Ky along with my garage that all my photos of my vega was taken in that is posted above. Sadly my home, garage, and all my worldly objects are gone due to a tornado that struck us directly. Thank God that my family is all ok and where doing as well as we could be expected. I tell you friends that was the most scared I've been in my life. Had we have been in our home we would no doubt been in a different condition. It's crazy, it's all flat gone, not damaged but no longer in existence. My father's business of 35 years is destroyed. We've been blessed by first our safety, second by all the friends and love ones that have been here for us giving us clothes, food, shelter and emotional support. But sadly i believe this is truly the end of my h body project. The core support is crushed. The roof is bashed in and more so twisted. Along with some other stuff I just cant see the old girl recovering from. Maybe but i just don't see it right now. If there is a pulse i will post. Thanks, and God bless.
vickyvega73

Postby vega craig » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

john ,thats very sad to hear , like you said thank god you and your family are ok.take care,,,,,,,,,craig
vega craig

Postby bugdewde » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Oh that's just terrible. Glad you guys are all OK. Maybe once you get settled again, you might be able to get another H-body project. Best wishes.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Been seeing the news of the tornado that struck down there, truly is unbelievable how quick everything can be wiped out. I am truly sorry for your loss as well as for the people that have been killed. It goes to show how we should never take anything for granted. I am sure I speak for all of us when I say we wish the best for you and your family and everyone else who has suffered from this disaster. Stay in touch...........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Next

Return to Project Journals