Vegabee(framing)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vegabee(framing)

Postby Vegabee » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Putting more front brake parts on from S10 blazer dual piston
fits inside 15" wheel although with a 1" wheel adapter
Had a time of it getting the right length brake hose for full travel and turning of wheel.Factory is 11" or so.The recommended Nova hose is 15" and is too long and folds into the tire.Ended up ordering a 12" braided hose http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-mm-stainless ... rmvSB=true
After bending the bracket and orienting the hose just right got it to work
After bending bracket was tricky getting the brake line up in there
hooked up to prop valve
Well a long while ago I purchased an aluminum master cyl. from the Speedway sale Garage for a good price.Haven't opened the box until I was going to install it but found out the outlet ports are super small,too small for the 1/4" prop valve entrances.Instead of trying to send it back after so long and since it has outlet ports on both sides,decided to get some lines and fitting to plumb from both sides 3/16 to 1/4 line and then to prop valve and see if that works out.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 am

Installed pass side brake line all the way across.Tight initial bend but 1 51" line did it
Bolted to orig bracket
line kept high and away from plug wires
Disassembled rear T bird Turbo Coupe rear disks and gave a light coat of clear so to avoid surface rust
reassembled hardened bolts and a lil lock tight
See new line behind engine deff easier before engine installed but lines done now
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Been busy with a new tank-less water heater this weekend but did squeeze a little time for the car and brake pedal.got a universal master cyl. push rod from Speedway to match this master cyl.
and it is a clevis type that did not work on the stock Vega pedal but does so now.I removed the single eye mounting stud from the pedal and drilled out the clevis to the size of the pedal hole,1/2" I think,been a while.
Made a pin out of that size bolt and drill for cotter pin
Stretched a small O-ring over the rod so it doesn't rattle in the piston bore.Careful that the O-ring does not seal and cause a hydraulic action in the bore but a loose O-ring that just cushions rattle.
Hooked up and works well with adjustment
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Well got around to installing fill valves in the rear air bags and mounting them as well as the rear shocks,pan hard bar,mostly done except emer brake cables.
Tight squeeze on the top and bottom bolts but got them.A tip from a some one I work with who races dirt track and builds most of his cars is to set the spring perches to toward the front of the axle or more to the center of the car to carry the cars weight better that way so did that.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Did not know if i was going to install E-brake cables or not but found out that they are available from more than one source.Looked like the factory cables might work if a new bracket was made for them.
Used 1 1/2 angle for a bracket to mate cables with the Ford T-bird calipers
Positioned and welded in place
Pulled the E-brake handle up and got the adjuster working again and have a good spot for them to run above the rear cross member
Had to add an inch to the adjustment rod to hook them up and also an extra support so as to make sure they are clear of the drive shaft.Prob won't use them that much but will pass inspection if I have to.
All rear parts in and pumped gear oil in the housing
TrueTrack instructions call for conventional lube so that is what I used
Also housing breather using a PCV filter
Shifter cable installed and adjusted
Vegabee

Postby waybad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:41 pm

looks killer,, you might want to put some kind of heat wrap or tube around your shifter cable,, mine was like yours and the heat slowly caused it to seize up :shock: :shock:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Vegabee » Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Did make a pair of heat shields
With a pipe in vice,bent the ends to match
Clamped and pulled up for converter clearance
Painted with VHT and installed
Vegabee

Postby waybad » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Excellent!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Monza Harry » Mon May 15, 2017 9:59 pm

I would like to say you are hitting a "Home Run" but that wouldn't be doing your job justice! Ok a home run with the bases loaded and they couldn't find the ball after the game! You are definitely setting that bar pretty high up there! Harry :th:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm

The rear gas shocks that I tried for an Aspen/Volare were too much for the light back end of the Vega so gave QA1 a call and they recommended some ford front 19 way adjustables.
Pricey but the really are top notch.Had to get that ride Ht correct and the big gas shocks were raising the car up with not much pressure in the rear air springs.Now at correct ride Ht and 27lbs in the bags have the non gas shocks installed.
When started I shot for factory ride Ht which is 12.5" from the wheel lip top to the center of axle/spindle and that's pretty where its at.
Vegabee

Postby waybad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Looks Perfect!!! :th: :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Well those are some "Premium Looking Parts" right there! :th: It would seem you are ready to Cruise now from those pic's. That has turned out WAY better than pretty good, there is a whole lot of :mrgreen: [jealousy] going around right now! Proud you should be! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to Project Journals