Vegastre Mini Projects

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Vegastre Mini Projects

Postby vegastre » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:06 am

I have been a little reluctant to start a project journal because you expect a start and a finish. My Astre will never have a finish and I can't even remember how or when it started out. That said, I realized it is a project of sorts because I have started a number of threads looking for input, advice, and direction. So, this project journal will be a little different in that I will list the different threads I have started looking for advice and comment. Link followed by a brief synopsis of each link.

LINK ONE: PANEL CHANGE viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32652
This link was when I decided to change the front and rear look of the Astre. It took a huge leap of faith to radically change the car. I incorporated several suggestions by members.(DONE)

LINK TWO: 5 LUG SWAP REAR viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38453
:::::::::::::: 5 LUG SWAP FRONT viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38576
This link is the 5-lug swap project. .(DONE)

LINK THREE: SPARE TIRE viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36747
This link relates to the 5-lug swap in that it occurred to me you need a spare when changing over to 5-lugs..(DONE)

LINK FOUR: GAS STRUT HOOD SUPPORT viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37170
This link explores the idea and design of replacing the mechanical prop rod on the 72 Vega with a gas strut support...(DONE)

LINK FIVE: 3800 SWAP viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37673
This link touches on my decision to swap the Buick 213CI engine for a 3800 series2 Gen3 L-67 Supercharged motor. Tentatively a winter project 2012 and spring 2013 depending on time issues and finding all the parts for the swap.

LINK SIX: FIVE SPEED viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37839
This link is about swapping in a T-5 into an H-body mated to a 3800 motor. (DONE)

LINK SEVEN: HTOB viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38061
This link explores what hydraulic throw out bearing to use. (DONE)

LINK EIGHT: NEW PAINT http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iUX2o1wblY
This link is a UTUBE video when I painted the Astre. I had access to a paint booth and the car was not fully blocked but went ahead and painted it as I only had the booth for one day and the body was starting to get surface rust. I mainly wanted to do the jams so I could put the car back together but the car was stting in a paint booth all taped off. The jams came out especialy well although the panels came out with ripples and imperfections so I will be blocking and repainting most of the panels sometime late 2013.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Return to Project Journals