Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

RedFiveKBS wrote:Wow! That interior looks amazing!! :th:

X2!!!! I LOVE it! I think that interior turned out great, and that combo is going to turn lots of heads! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Sun May 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Polishing front fenders taking most of orange peal off but don't want to push it too much,will save the rest for next time.
Mounted up fenders
One fender bottom had to have the bath tub clips fastened with some stainless hardware.Came off the door nails with the fender correctly placed
Dab of paint and installed
Polished the headlight extensions and installed those
Cleaned and installed the headlight mounting hardware
Polished the headlight ring fasteners
Installed 2 new halogens
When wiring the new headlight harness there wasn't any pieces to go to up front and so I guessed at the wire lengths and it worked out fine
Polishing again this time the chrome headlight bezels,a few pits typical at the bottom but nothing serious
After cleaning under coat off the rubber side fillers the turned out to be in great shape
cleaned and shined front bumper and bolted up with my custom brackets
Switched out black bolts for Chrome and installed.Everything still fitting up good
Sanded and cleaned with alcohol installed the 2" moulding as at the rear
Moulding,chrome and side fillers installed
Polished front valance.My glue up job holding so far so good even with wrestling with the polisher
All bolted up just clears the Sedona trans cooler at both sides
Couple of nice wheel well liners came on the car so got new clips and stainless screws for them
Center was mounted with sheet metal screws facing the engine compartment so changed that to some plastic fasteners
still poke to the inside but not to noticeable
Vegabee

Postby Monza Harry » Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Vegabee wrote:Image
Center was mounted with sheet metal screws facing the engine compartment so changed that to some plastic fasteners
still poke to the inside but not to noticeable
Really Smart idea there VB! You may still get a lancing, but NO way that would bad as bad as a steel sheet metal screw. I also love the stainless upgrade on the other side! :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Found this air deflector in the grass where the kids parked their cars,must have fell off one of them,and looking at it thinking it may fit under the Vega so I kept it out by the trash cans for these past years and today set it under there and it will work well looks like.
Ran the part number and it is a Saturn part,not available any more also.I could get that part number if some is interested in doing this.Looked in great shape after cleaning
Placed it at the bottom lip of the radiator support and drill 5 1/4" holes to fasten it
Hangs down an inch or so below the valance
There are some tabs toward the ends of the deflector that I mounted off the fender brace with some 5" eye bolts
trimmed the loop eye and squeezed the ring together to a 1/4" inside diameter
After that they needed some bend work to jog down to the mounting tab.Lock tighted some nuts to the rod.
Then made a bend back up to match the tab
Painted the connectors
Brackets mounted and this is what the deflector looks like from the back side
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Cleaning more trim pcs I had the idea of instead of factory black on the lower trim is to try to match the silver/chrome that is on the wheels.First cleaned up with lacquer thinner and lightly sanded areas to be painted and Finished with alcohol
Taped off and a coat of SEM self etching primer.Of all the old cans of silver I had this Plasti-kote seemed to match the best.Silvers darken a lot when topped with clear though.
sprayed along with a light coat of protecting clear
Mounted it all up.Matches best when the sun hits but close enough for for the trim.
Also worked on the door trim pcs and added plastic to one that had a chunk missing
chrome and black is worn so decided to just paint the interior color instead of trying to restore them.Cleaned and gave a coat of adhesion promoter.
The white in the photo was to 'white' and ended using Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2X ultra cover semi gloss "Ivory Bisque".This matched between the diff white hues of the aged interior.Also painted the window crank extensions this same way 3 light coats
Finished installing
polish on sill plates
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 pm

On the lighter side of construction here i was searching for a dressier rear license plate frame and found this cast alum one that's really nice.Vegas bolt the plate at the bottom instead of most cars at the top which eliminates a lot of frames.I also wanted a 2 bolt frame.This one sorta matches the tail light housings in thickness
Vegabee

Previous

Return to Project Journals