Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Postby Richardbailey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 am

Vegabee wrote:Pulled speakers and panels back out to start some undercoating.Trying some Eastwood internal frame coating and Encapsulator for the bottom.This frame stuff comes with a small hose and fanning nozzle to get in between Vega panels.Taped the hose to a long piece of aluminum rod to reach into every hole I could see also above the inside quarters.Man this stuff literally gushes out that nozzle and was dripping out every where.
Underneath new metal was cleaned and some areas wire brushed cheap speakers then sprayed with a coat of Encapsulator.This is supposed to be pretty good stuff but went on quite smooth and in order to some what match the rest of the underside factory coating I had to grab a can of regular rubberized and top it off with that while still tacky.
Car will never see snow again,probably not even rain so a nice factory under coat should do well.

It is impressive you have so much knowledge about car parts. I am not all good in repairing and asked my mechanic friend to install new speakers.
Richardbailey

Postby Vegabee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:23 pm

Alright lets mount some Vega bumpers
Stripping the 75 Vega I tossed all of the bumper springs and supports and just kept the aluminum shells knowing some day brackets would be made to remount them.Coming to the point of body sanding I need to get that done as not to tangle with loose bumpers on a painted car.Put a bench on front and rear of car and lag screwed 2x6 and 2x4s to bumpers and got the positions where wanted
This winter I built a home brake press with a couple of dies off ebay and one in thick base plate and 20 ton press from Harbor freight.The bumper vertical mount pastern is about 3" so decided on 3/16 x 4" plate for ease of mounting.With bumper positioned made a bracket form template with 1/8" alum rod both length and angle at took to the press and made bends
cut this in half and drilled mounting holes and trimmed and shaped outer edge of bracket to inner bumper shell contour.welded mounting nuts to be bolted from bottom of bumper then tacked plates behind in the area where that rubber bump band mounts.I am not reinstalling the thick rubber back on the bumpers but have a plan to flush mount the upper brackets and cover all the bumper bolt and slotted holes with some 2" wide custom molding
both rears on
for the farmers out there used some 3/8 plow bolts at local supply and sanded the squares a bit and flush mounted through to the brackets.used a variety of drill bits and chamfer tool
front
bolted bottoms first then added plates
inside view
both on and really don't weigh much but sturdy no flex or shake
Vegabee

Postby zeke » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:45 pm

Innovative speaker solution! I'll be interested to see what you do with the panels. I like the idea of a custom shaped, cloth covered grill that looks like it belongs there rather than the grid pattern drilled holes. The best stereo systems are indeed hidden out of sight imo as well.

Like your homemade press / brake! :th:

Good work on the bumper mounting VB!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Those garage press brakes are getting popular and can be gotten online although I built mine because i wanted actual brake dies.Sure is fun to play with.
Going to use some 2" wide brushed black aluminum stick on trim if I can find some to cover all the holes and put bumper bolts in the square holes down below to complete it later.
yea haven't done anything yet with the speaker cover panels like you suggest either a set of drilled holes or some sort of fine screen or clothe.I tipped them up toward the top of the front seats and like the idea that got a hefty speaker system completely covered leaving orig int panels untouched which was my intention.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon May 25, 2015 11:18 am

Finished welding and capped frame rails in engine comp
Filled in steering move holes first making some templates.This is how far steering was moved.The column seems to slant toward the center of the car toward the steering box on Vegas now the column points straight into the car.Didn't do anything where column mounts under dash but added some washers because also dropped the column some to point at the rack better.See screw holes where moved,looks and steers fine in this spot.
Engine is 1/8 to right pass side.Made a plate for the inside column mount with template.Ran short on sheet metal so had to use a sign 'ala' rat rod LOL.
Fitted piece and moved over like so had to make a bend in lower part to make it solid
button welded through old screw holes and stitch welded inside.Half moon filler made and tacked in.
Welded other unwanted holes and removed clips and sheet metal brackets that where in the way.Putty knifed off the tar like stuff Chev used for calk and washed down compartment with thinner and cleaner
Going to some what mimic the GM calk with some much better stuff so made some applicators to try to help to calk it
Now the Vega has Black primer sealer under the yellow paint.After doing some test panels with white and black primers the white does not match,way to bright so that is out and with a high quality paint the black of course matches so it is black primers for entire car from now on.Caulked and primed the caulk seemed a little stringy compared the original so sanded it a bit and matched it better.Am going with black on firewall and yellow down fender wells and core support areas.
Fortunate to have a good battery tray with just surface rust and a few pits so wire brushed thoroughly flushed with thinner and gave the area a coat of POR15.When still tacky went over with the black primer
The under coat on this car is tight and not coming off to the point of bending metal trying to move it so going to clean and cover it to match factory.Washed down frame rails under and primed with self etching black.The only surf rust under was around the underside of the emer brake lever plate where it looks like the factory sprayers didn't quite cover there so cleaned up and POR15 with undercoat over it.Removed rear and front suspensions,masked,and coated total underneath.
Dropped all brackets and cross members off at body shop for sand blasting and coating with 2prt epoxy.Finished painted and wrapped and put away for now
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Pulled almost everything out of the car and washed her down with acetone.Strong stuff that can take some of the paint off and dirt and wax together.
After sanding and bodywork am washing with ACME Finish One which is very mild and won't mess finish work before prime or paint.
Then went through and marked factory ripples and dings with a pencil.Can be seen better before sanding
Sanded out those areas and filled.Never had a problem putting filler on well sanded and cleaned paint but use a quality filler
Am using the existing paint because it is in great shape and straightening it.If it would have weather check or other problems would take it to bare metal.So after washing sought out any irregulars while body is shiny
Really more factory wrinkles than dent stuff but the right front fender was pushed a little on the belt molding so straightened with hammer dolly.Forming of rear qrts slight factory wrinkle both sides.Also feeling irregularities out.Every one at the body shop knows all of this but this Vega is getting work in the garage so going to post some stuff for those folks doing the same.
Went ahead and sanded fillers with first 80 grt then 150 to feather straight to the touch.Carefully sanded to the point where the filler could be painted straight on then it will be ready for primer
Slight factory waves rear qtrs.Reducing grit coarseness and taking filler transparent and straight.
low spots show up with transparent careful sanding
Some slight dings and wave on roof prob something set on there at one time.DA sander got 2 out other 2 filled sanded to smooth.
Purchased a new 6" DA palm sander was going to spend some money on it but gave this Harbor Fre 49.95 one a try.Actually impressed with 320 grt on.
sanded all keeping sander FLAT at all times using changing paper often.
Some runny stuff at the factory.320 on 6" in DA sanded smooth to touch.
Some debris on dies when parts formed causing pips on the outside skin.DA took almost all off
While sanding came across some I missed with the pencil but the DA caught
Low spot stays shiny.sanded it out,washed with cleaner filled ans sanded
When filling try to push hard and smooth with no air pockets and no built up ridges on the beginning or end of the fill or will be difficult to sand.
Challenge a spouse friend or neighbor to feel for any irregulars on the body
If no one can you may be ready for primer!
Used alcohol and grey fine scotch brite after sanding what could be to finish jams and other areas
Sanded corners and ridges with 400 grt also door frames.
Then washed with Finish one til clean and masked
First layed primer on filled areas for extra sanding later
primed rest of it
Vegabee

Postby Zanie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Looking good!
Dan
73 vega wagon LS1 T56 build thread
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36579
Zanie

Postby Vegabee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Not a real lot to report weekend working on the car mixed with overtime at work.Sanded glued seams an valances and cleaned and gave them a coat of adhesive promoter before primer
looks good so far careful not to crack them again
Been long while since I sanded a car.Lots of new products out since and bought some of these soft sanders and their rolls of adhesive paper.
These are the ones in which a piece of sandpaper is layed on the contour of a panel and the foam sand block in started at one edge and rolled to stick on following the contour
can get a lot of sanding done in a hurry with these works best with new,sharp sand paper
Seem to work ok but will telegraph filler work if over sanded so important to wet the sanded work with mild wax grease remover and gloss view for straightness
Tested paint panel and ordered some paint and sealer from Tamco
http://www.tamcopaint.com/
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:57 pm

That test panel is actually Sikkens LV 650 single stage that is on 1/2 black and 1/2 white primer panel.That paint is on the north side of $640.00 gal.Painting the car in pieces I need 2 gals.Was quoted by Glasurit at $1022.00 per gal.Painted 2 vehicles with single stage Deltron(old Deltron) years ago and turned out nice in black.Tamco single stage(2 gal) and HP6000 sealer all included ran about $409.00 shipped.This is said to better that the old Deltron.Going with single stage because that s what was originally on the car.Should be good and tough paint job if I can keep the orig lacquer from causing to much problems under it.

Now my Ques is how to get the forum to start a new page:)
Vegabee

Postby BadBowtie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Those bumper mounts look mighty light, nice work. Like the color too, but I am biased!
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Vegabee » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Yup,keeping orig yellow although fam members say it looks good in the flat black got to stop taking them to shows where the rat rod crowds are at.
Otherwise still sanding.
wet door with cleaner to check em out.Not going to go super crazy with the sanding but looking not to bad for just weekends in the garage
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Continued sanding,masking then built some door and fender hangers
Vega doors are actually kinda heavy so used 2x4s and set it up one on each side to do jams also
Fender rack
Car and parts mostly masked now for inside garage
Vegabee

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Love that door horse! 8) Good progress. :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:41 am

Tried two diff cleaners and just don't seam to really get sanding dust removed.Searching on line some mfrs. like http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ recommend a waterborne cleaner so i tried SEM no voc I had there.
top is SEM and bottom is two wipes with wax grease remover
that much more coming off
SEM dried kinda quick for me to wipe such a big area off so following over with clean water and wiping to make sure all product is off
That finish one cleaner is $40 gal SEM cleaner a lot less just have to make sure it is dry,there is water in it.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Monday went ahead and did it!
One coat Tamco HP6000 sealer black
Two wet coats Tamco 9040 Duraflint One single stage no thinning
Looks good one run off back drip rail and the typical urethane peal like most new cars have,will lightly block and buff,polish.No bugs,very little dust but spent close to 3 days setting up a garage spray area.
Some other equipment I made up.
1/2 hose with regulator and gauge with Milton moisture catch
mounted a 2" pipe filled with brass wool on wall to help stop line water no water through gun while spraying.No lifting of old under coat and good coverage with yellow with this paint.
Vegabee

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals