Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Postby Vegabee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Well that AM radio and little single speaker under the dash is just not going to get it so I bought 4 6 x 9s from MB Quart(ONX169).New cars have sound systems some what hidden or partially hidden so that's what I will attempt to do here since this interior is in really good shape so no big hacking on it.Looking back to front for a spot to mount the rear speaks looks like there is a lot of room here behind the rear side panels.
Welding in mounting brackets to mount the solid to metal framing.Will be tipped up and in as much as possible,kind of an odd mount so I stopped at the salvage and got an old speaker frame to use as a template.
Measured the first hole at 10 1/4" x 1" Have to clear the plastic and ash tray in the side panel.
Tacked #10 nuts on brackets.
Welded that one on then came 9 5/8" down for the second bracket.
Welded both on.
Mounted on two holes now with the bottom of the template tipped up as much as possible.Speaker faces up toward the opposite side door lock.Fabbed lower brackets from some scrap 1/4"
Did other side.
Cut magnet clearance holes and mounted them.
Slipped the side panel over and covers the 6 x 9s.
Now have to decide on drilling small holes in the panel or have a cut out with a screen grill attached to the side panel from the inside for an OEM appearance.
Vegabee

Re: Vegabee(Interior/Exterior)

Postby sportriderok » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Very nice! Looks a lot better than the gigantic holes hacked into the sides of my car! I may "borrow" some of your ideas to close these up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby Vegabee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 am

Way back when we used to lay some large floor standing home speakers right in the back,that sounded awesome.I haven't really looked at the new multiple component speakers where the tweeters and bass are separate but there is a nice area in the sail panel for that type of system(see it the last pic) to be a step further that 6 x 9s I think.Tweeters and mid range above and the base in the side panels.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Pulled speakers and panels back out to start some undercoating.Trying some Eastwood internal frame coating and Encapsulator for the bottom.This frame stuff comes with a small hose and fanning nozzle to get in between Vega panels.Taped the hose to a long piece of aluminum rod to reach into every hole I could see also above the inside quarters.Man this stuff literally gushes out that nozzle and was dripping out every where.
Underneath new metal was cleaned and some areas wire brushed then sprayed with a coat of Encapsulator.This is supposed to be pretty good stuff but went on quite smooth and in order to some what match the rest of the underside factory coating I had to grab a can of regular rubberized and top it off with that while still tacky.
Car will never see snow again,probably not even rain so a nice factory under coat should do well.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Just going to run a stereo in the dash so carefully trimmed the precious Vega plastic.
Once sitting in the dash slowly carved and sanded until the face plate fit just right.Made a support bracket out of the old mounting bracket.
Bent a band around the stereo and had to weld in on to the existing bracket.
Sits in snug.
Vegabee

Postby Vegabee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Found some spare time to get some front speaker work done this week end.There are large holes in the front lower kick panels but are not shaped for 6 x 9,what they are for I don't know so came up with a plan to once again solid mount them behind the panel.
Got the angle and using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 7 angle on top and bottom of speaker.Cut a wedge out ,bent to the angle and laid it out
Tapped #10 x 24
Welded the cut and made the rest of them
Screwed on top and bottom.Put angles on my temp. speaker for tracing and cutting of the panel.You can mount Speakers about any where using these angles and can tilt them up or down/in or out by trimming width of the outer facing angle iron edges as long as there is room for those big magnets in the rear of them.I trimmed 1/4 off of the bottom angle face to tip the speaker up.Tacked the temp. in and welded top and bottom.
Getting this cutting and welding done before continuing undercoating and painting.Kick panel plastic covers these and will maybe cut it out and glue on screen grills from the back side.4 hidden 6 x 9s for the H Body.
Vegabee

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 pm

I spent 25 years doing high-end car audio, and I have a few words of advice on your speaker mounting; for the best possible sound, it's important to completely isolate or baffle your speakers so that the front and back waves cannot interfere with one another. The sound coming from the back of the speaker is 180 degrees out of phase with the front, and will cancel out any lower frequencies. This can be achieved with sound deadening like Dynamat, or even some weatherstripping foam. The way you have the speakers mounted(both in the front and rear of the car) looks like you could have issues. In the rear you can probably seal around the front flange of the speaker to the back of the plastic side panel if you're drilling holes, or the back of the grill if you use one with some closed cell foam tape. In the front it might be easiest to just seal the speaker to the metal in the kick panel with some Dynamat or other sheet sound deadening material.
If you do this right, your audio system should sound awesome, and will have people asking you "where are the subwoofers hidden?"
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby vegaman140 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:01 pm

I love the ideas here...and I may rethink my back speakers now as well lol. Just curious, on my vega I have alot of moisture that drips down behind the kick panels (normal). have you sealed that off to prevent water and rain from getting down in there and getting to the speakers? just curious.
looks AWESOME!
vegaman140

1976 Chevrolet Vega Notchback

Postby NVEGAR8D » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 am

Hi,
Those holes in the kick panels are for ventilation. you will get a lot of water down there when it rains or when you wash the car.
just my 2 cents worth. you could help them by constructing a sort of shield over the back of the speakers.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Vegabee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Spencer,your back in business as our own sound expert.I ordered some XTC 6 x 9 baffles for the front but they won't fit in the rear but that's why I saved all of this stuff.
Thanks guys for all of the help.Not going to use any type of material that can absorb or hold water like foam and definitely not spray expanding foam insulation,I had the bottom of 2 door jams on the garage rot out from that stuff.It holds water like a sponge.Replaced and filled with silicone and no problems.Going to cut and glue together waterproof foam boxes inside panels and silicone them in.Fronts will use baffles and box out water and dust behind that also.
My car doesn't have the vented panels because it's an air car,forgot about that.Will have to bring in some kind of venting though.Trying to grasp Spencer that sound cancelling problem.
Thinking of attaching Velcro and foam to the inside of the rear panels to keep the low range sound from pointing at the front speakers and also stop the panel from vibrating.Would too much baffling affect mid and high range?Prob will use grill screen also to not block them with plastic.Really a budget system so far with 4 of these ONX169 on Amazon for less than $130 shipped and decent decks are every place reasonable,watching how users rate each piece.Panel now covers speakers with no holes yet.
If mounting up here start from the rear and cut forward toward the front.The inside contour of the door jam will interfere with larger Magnets.New venting will need to be looked at also probably.
Vegabee

Postby johnk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 am

Just want to make sure I don't loose track of this information :D It will be a long time until I am ready for interior finish but mounting the speakers is in these cars is not easy and you have come up with a great way Thank you for sharing and the pictures are a big help understanding how you are doing it.
JohnK
John K
johnk

Postby Vegabee » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Better check and really look it over cause the Monza is quite a bit different than the Vega.My Neighbor has a salvage buis, is a total Chevy man and has been hopping Vegas since they were new and has Monzas and late Camaros.He says the Monza was the precursor to the later Camaro.Last I was over there he was mounting speakers in one of his Monzas and also putting in a late Camaro rear seat just by changing the side brackets explaining that the Camaro is basically a Monza-meaning where the Camaro rear sections design came from.He also has the rear disk brake stuff figured out using S 10 axles in the Monza housing with 3rd or 4th Gen brackets and some 4WD front S 10 rotors.I've got to get over there and get some pics and exact info on that.
Vegabee

Postby johnk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Thank you for that info I wonder what camaro years are close to the 77 monza ? When I ordered my new 9.75" I was told the torque arm is the same as a camaro. I just like your thinking on the mounting of the speakers and want to follow how you are solving some of the problems in updating a older car. Please keep taking photos I think I will start a post on my project now that I have seen yours. " Anyone can bolt on parts to a car it takes a it takes a man to cut it up :th: "
John K
johnk

Postby Vegabee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 am

Mounted in a new shifter this week end.My original auto shifter is actually in excellent condition but does not have ratcheting or lock outs,not the safest shifter,so searched many of them and came across this Hurst for a decent price.Uses 4 bolts to a flat floor so first made a 16 gauge plate to fill the existing hole in the floor.
Welded in the filler plate.Set in seat and E-brake to check relationship between them all and marked/drilled holes.Came with 1/4 bolts but I went up to 5/16 next size up.
bolted down
From underneath welded the bolt heads turning them into studs then finish calked the old existing seams and screw holes
Vegabee

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 am

Just a note on that shifter, I had some problems at first with mine that made it frustrating ( I called it a" Problematic") Lube the crap out of it since the lube from the factory is not enough, and route the cable "exactly" as the instructions specify. Since its so long, you have to or you will miss shifts or it will not go into gear. A shorter cable is really was is needed on these cars.

Just some friendly advice. great build you are doing...............................Doug in P.R.8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Next

Return to Project Journals