74 Panel Wagon LS1 T56 Street Car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 74 Panel Wagon LS1 T56 Street Car

Postby Kenova » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

74Sleeper wrote:I am wondering how people on this forum have mounted their alternators for an LS1. I am keeping the factory Vega steering box so the stock LS1 alternator location will not work. I have tried an alternator accessory bracket from a 5.3 but that won’t fit without massive modification and even then the alternator won’t clear the hood. Suggestions?

I have seen a factory Corvette alternator bracket used to clear the steering box but it requires that you use a Corvette alt. and damper/pulley. I'm not sure if the power steering pump ( which is mounted just below and inboard of the alt. ) would clear the steering box ( if you are using power steering ).

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Fasterthansome » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:57 am

[quote="74Sleeper"}

Thanks! Yea I would love to be low 10's knocking on 9's with a naturally aspirated engine, would save lots of money and in my opinion, it takes alot more skill to go fast naturally aspirated.[/quote]

It has nothing to do with skill and might actually take more knowledge to go fast with a power adder since the tune up might get tricky as the power level increases. Low 10's high 9's NA isnt too hard but as you try to go FAST NA the cost gets up there real quick.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby 74Sleeper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Finally getting some time to put up some pictures of the progress we have made. We got the following things done:
-S10 front knuckle/brake conversion
-Engine mounts made
-Factory trans tunnel cut out
-New trans tunnel in and welded
-Trans cross member made
-Engine cross member made
-Engine and trans bolted in to place
Up next:
-Dash
-Complete floor
-Exhaust headers
-Radiator mount
-Fab alternator bracket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Some more pictures. See picture descriptions for side notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Kenova wrote:
74Sleeper wrote:I am wondering how people on this forum have mounted their alternators for an LS1. I am keeping the factory Vega steering box so the stock LS1 alternator location will not work. I have tried an alternator accessory bracket from a 5.3 but that won’t fit without massive modification and even then the alternator won’t clear the hood. Suggestions?

I have seen a factory Corvette alternator bracket used to clear the steering box but it requires that you use a Corvette alt. and damper/pulley. I'm not sure if the power steering pump ( which is mounted just below and inboard of the alt. ) would clear the steering box ( if you are using power steering ).

Ken

Ken,

Not planning on using power steering in this car. I figure the car is so light and the tires up front will be pretty skinny so I think I can get by with the factory steering setup. If that doesn't work out the way I want it to, I will have to upgrade to power steering but I have seen a lot of guys on this forum run the factory gear box.

I wondered about the Corvette setup but I think you're right, if you use that setup the pulley alignment is off with the Camaro/Trans Am alternator and I don't want to buy a new alternator if I don't have to. A friend of ours had a bracket template he used for the LS he put in to his S10 so we are going to make that mount tomorrow night and see how it fits in the Vega. I will take pictures if it works and try to post the plans for the bracket we are making.

-Andrew
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Fasterthansome wrote:[quote="74Sleeper"}

Thanks! Yea I would love to be low 10's knocking on 9's with a naturally aspirated engine, would save lots of money and in my opinion, it takes alot more skill to go fast naturally aspirated.

It has nothing to do with skill and might actually take more knowledge to go fast with a power adder since the tune up might get tricky as the power level increases. Low 10's high 9's NA isnt too hard but as you try to go FAST NA the cost gets up there real quick.[/quote]

Yea, I can see where you're coming from. Either way you build an engine, the skill level required to make good power greatly rises as power levels go up. I am going to run the factory LS1 for a bit just so I can drive the car and then I will see where my head is at as far as an NA or boosted build goes.

-Andrew
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Went to pic up a new front clip from member LL8 Vega GT and got it installed over the weekend. Turned out pretty well! I have found a set of 2 inch drop spindles that I can hopefully pick up this weekend to get the nose down a little bit so that the ride height is more level. Here are the latest pictures.
74Sleeper

Postby LL8 Vega GT » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Hey that looks familiar!
looking good get that thing together track opens in less than 2 weeks!
B2T ENGINEERING-Custom Engine Management Solutions
-MS3-PRO and other Megasquirt EFI products
-14point7 Spartan 2 Wideband controller
-Discounts available to forum members- send PM
http://www.burnout2turnout.com
https://www.facebook.com/B2Tengineering
https://www.facebook.com/mavenperformance/
LL8 Vega GT

Postby 1100kaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Looking good. you aint f@#king around. gett n it dun for sure.
Like the front clip.
Hey, i would be real interested in the alt bracket pics, and details. I'm there now. Actually made a template of head and holes the other nite and was getting ready to cut something. I would like to see what you got.
keeps feeding us pics.........cause i cant read weal goodly.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby 74Sleeper » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

1100kaw wrote:Looking good. you aint f@#king around. gett n it dun for sure.
Like the front clip.
Hey, i would be real interested in the alt bracket pics, and details. I'm there now. Actually made a template of head and holes the other nite and was getting ready to cut something. I would like to see what you got.
keeps feeding us pics.........cause i cant read weal goodly.

I got lucky when making my alt bracket, had a friend that bought some brackets for his LS2 S10 and he traced his brackets on to plywood before installing them. One of the guys helping me build this car got the template from the S10 guy and we traced it on to 1/4" mild steel plate. Below is a picture of what we wound up with, it hasnt been cleaned up at all, just cut out with a plasma cutter and test fit on the engine but I am REALLY happy with it so far.
74Sleeper

Postby 1100kaw » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the pic of bracket.
yea, i can see it cleaned up a bit, looks like what i'm after too.
may copy it.
Got the belt routeing figured out yet?, useing ls1/ fbody tensioner?

I love plazma cutters. they are the stuff.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby 74Sleeper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 am

1100kaw wrote:Thanks for the pic of bracket.
yea, i can see it cleaned up a bit, looks like what i'm after too.
may copy it.
Got the belt routeing figured out yet?, useing ls1/ fbody tensioner?

I love plazma cutters. they are the stuff.

Got the alt brackets cleaned up last night and they look pretty nice, not perfect but not bad either haha. I am not sure what I am going to do for a belt yet, I do have an idea in my mind of how I want the routing to look but havent finalized it yet. I am using the factory tensioner in my setup. If you are interested I could cut out a couple more of those brackets and send em your way. Maybe $50.00 plus a little shipping?
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

I am getting ready to build the tubs in my car. I am wondering if I can cut out the inner fender wells in the rear of the car without having to brace anything. Are the fender wells a huge structural portion of the rear of the car? The tubes going over the rear tires have been removed at this point, they were just a place holder while we put in the frame rails and they have since been removed.
74Sleeper

Postby 74Sleeper » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Been a long time since I posted progress of the car. Thought I would throw some pictures up while I was thinking about it. Car looks completely different from when i last posted but I swear its the same car! Just been getting after it alot lately. Need to finish some things on the cooling system, do some exhaust work (using stock manifolds, one 6.0 and one LS1) that includes running downpipes, X pipe, "mufflers" and tips, need to get a driveshaft in it, do weatherstripping, wire up the front clip, add some 5 point harnesses and put in some carpet. Cant wait to drive it!

Engine is a stock 2001 LQ4 6.0
Trans is a stock 2001 T56
Clutch and flywheel are LS7
Rear end is Ford 9" with 4.30 gear and locker
Rear wheels are Billet Specialties 15X12
Fronts are Weld Prostar 15X4

Let me know if you have any questions
74Sleeper

Postby waybad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:40 am

very nice!! :th:
Tinker
waybad

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals