"official" 79 spyder build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: "official" 79 spyder build

Postby 79 spyder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I want to give a HUGE shout out and thank you to Denis Gardiner or Calgaryspyder as you may know him, for donating a bunch of free parts I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.
Having a 10 second neon is like coming out of the closet... everyone is shocked at first, but in the end, you're still gay
79 spyder

Postby 79 spyder » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 pm

got some more work done over the past couple days! my floors are now welded and my dad put on some automotive caulking or something? Anyways the floor is ready for paint and dynamat and carpet! :dance: :D

so after about 25-30 hrs of cutting and cleaning, metal fab and welding this is the result it don't look to pretty but it'll be covered by carpet so i could care less what it looks like just as long as it works :lol: .

and here is a small patch I made, master craftsmanship if i do say so myself :wink: .

and here is a small side project i started, its a hood off a rusty old v6 skyhawk (which i now own!). I'm gonna sand blast it down and then I'm gonna experiment with a steel or fiberglass cowl its gonna be kind of a temporary deal till i can afford the $600 for a fiberglass cowl hood(I know they are only like $350 but when you live in Canada you can pretty much double the price of any large objects). it'll be some work but i need the hood clearance!

Having a 10 second neon is like coming out of the closet... everyone is shocked at first, but in the end, you're still gay
79 spyder

Postby SOLSAKS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm

black spyder !!!
that will make a nice one
i always liked the spyder logo and the way they wrote Spyder on them
you could do a red or silver spyder decal theme on black
(the black widow )

keep up the work, it will pay off in the long run.
my first car was a 1977 v8 monza too.

way back in 1986....oh boy. :D
SOLSAKS

Postby SOLSAKS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

DANG !!!
floor repair looks GREAT !!! :D
SOLSAKS

Postby 79 spyder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

SOLSAKS wrote:DANG !!!
floor repair looks GREAT !!! :D
Thx man! it was quite a bit of work but I'm happy
79 spyder

Postby 79 spyder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:44 am

Well its been awhile! I've been REALLY busy lately, I had exam week well about 2 weeks ago I guess and I've been working a lot too BUT I have been doing work to the car. I got the floors all painted I used a VERY thick asphalt based under coating in hopes that it would sort of act as floor mat under the carpet and stop it from rusting again. I also did the under side in the same stuff. Its all ready for Dynamat BUT keeping the cheap but not cheap theme for the rest of the car I bought some stuff called Resisto, it's a Canadian product :canada:, it's used for roof underlay now what your thinking but it does come with some REALLY good recommendations from friends so i thought I'd try it. The best part of this stuff is I bought 100sqft of this stuff for only $80!! :dance: I couldn't have bought 20sqft of Dynamat for that price. The only down side is I cant use it on the roof cause its not meant to stick up side down so I'm gonna see if i can find someone with some Dynamat left over so I can do my roof. ANYWAYS here's the floor all done.

And here's the rear section with the two patches I made.

79 spyder

Postby 79 spyder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 am

Ok so here is the 2nd installment of this 3 part update. I got LOTS of work done on that hood that I showed you guys earlier. It started out simple I was just gonna wire wheel it and then throw some primer on it and be done with it BUT nothing ever turns out like that :lol:, I ended up sand blasting the whole hood then I cutout and patched all the rust holes then I put rust Neutralizer on the bottom side and primed it, next I sprayed it in a 500 degree engine paint just to make sure it wouldn't flake off from engine heat.

Now the spots are the camera not the hood just clarifying haha :lol:

Now the top side I got 2/3 done priming it and started running out of primer so i just spot primed the bondo areas to make sure it was sealed from moisture and I just barely had enough to do that so I'll need to make a run to the local paint shop and pick up some more. I decided on a scoop I'm gonna go with a 427 vette stinger style hood scoop. I think it looks the best cause then it works with the bulge in the hood instead of the cowl scoop which kind of interfere with each other.
79 spyder

Postby 79 spyder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 am

And now for the final and my personal favorite installment MY NEW GAUGES!!! :woohoo: :dance:

They are Equus gauges which is again sticking with the cheap but not cheap theme. I took the gauge bezel off that Skyhawk I bought because mine was broken and just switched out the warning light things cause mine were different. The bezel did need to be modified to fit the gauges I just used a small air tool but I think a Dremel might have worked better. The speedo and tach are 3 3/8" and then the rest are 2". The fuel and temp are quite a bit bigger then the holes in the bezel so the bezel needs quite a bit of modification but the two big ones only needs trimming. The quality of the gauges are quite nice especially for the price I only paid about $300 for them (although my friend at Napa put his 5% employee discount down :th:) and my only complaint is that they have the speedo gauge laid out all screwy it goes from 90km/h to 120km/h but yet 90% of the roads I drive on are 80km/h, 100km/h or 110km/h so i guess ill either get used to it or speed which ever works haha :lol:. I would definitely recommend these to anyone who just isn't willing to spend 5-600 bucks on a full set of Autometers.
79 spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 am

Works look real nice. That picture of the underside of the hood is a great reference pic, is that hood off of a V8 car? There is some difference between V8 hoods and others so it would be nice to know how to distinguish them.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 79 spyder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Works look real nice. That picture of the underside of the hood is a great reference pic, is that hood off of a V8 car? There is some difference between V8 hoods and others so it would be nice to know how to distinguish them.

Thanks I'm happy. The hood is off a v6 Buick Skyhawk there are different variations of Monza hood the v6 and v8 both had the same hood it was the 4cyl cars that had different layout for the hood supports, they have room underneath the left side of the hood for the air cleaner where the v8 and v6 hood of course have it in the middle.
79 spyder

Previous

Return to Project Journals