76 Wagon Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 76 Wagon Project

Postby 76wagon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Alright got some pics taken. Here's the black floor inside. I'll get some more of how the subframe connectors go through the floor, had to weld threaded inserts for the seat and seatbelt mounts.

Rear undercarriage

Underside of the floor. Subframe connectors almost look like they belong there now that everything's the same colour.

Under the front with the spindles installed

Here's the way I got the springs in. Forget whose post I saw this in but GENIUS! Hard to see but just used half of a spring compressor through the shock mount to compress the spring, a ratchet strap to pull it into the spring pocket and another ratchet strap to pull up the lower control arm. Barely even scratched the paint. Last time I used pieces from 2 spring compressors and ended up destroying the paint on my control arms.

Boxed in the rear control arms, hope to have them on soon

Now to get the hubs and steering on and the front's ready to sit back on the ground
76wagon

Postby Vega45 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Making good progress keep it up .
Vega45

Postby 76wagon » Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Got some more work done on the weekend. Car is off the rotisserie, steering is installed temporarily and rotors are installed. Barred some usable tires onto the front rims and bolted them up. Now to bolt in the rear end and this thing can be back on the ground again! :dance: :dance: :dance:
(that banana is so stupid but so awesome at the same time)

It's pretty much reassembly and body work from here on in so it should start moving along pretty quickly. I might even meet my new 'deadline' of having it on the road by Canada day, painted or not.

Next step- finally bite the bullet and order a ton of parts from Summit so I can get this thing back together!

Phill
76wagon

Postby 76wagon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Got some more work done on the car this weekend. Old rear end is bolted in and it's back on the ground

Here's another shot of it in the driveway. Those old GT rims looks really bad next to the aluminum wheels I have for it.

Also got both c-pillar panels and the rusted parts around the hatch all replaced. The plan for this week is to have the rest of the rust on the main body repaired (drivers side rear window and the dash panel) and the engine bay ready for paint. Maybe this weekend I can get the engine pulled from the other car and have that in soon too...

Phill
76wagon

Postby Vega45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Great progress can't wait to see it moving under it's own power . Keep it up
Vega45

Postby 76wagon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Got a bit more done on the car. Been working on it just about every day the last couple weeks trying to have it on the road for July. Not sure it'll happen but it should be pretty close by then.

Got the rad mounted and engine bay in primer. Debating whether to do a little body filler to smooth everything out, don't really want to....

Pulled the drivetrain and a few other parts out of my old (donor) car. It'll be up for sale in a month or 2, anyone interested?

Need to swap the carrier in the rear end before I bolt it in so I can slide in my S10 axles. Also need to install my hydraulic throwout bearing and master cylinder. Got the master mocked up with the stock brake booster, gonna be tight but it'll fit. Gonna have to make a longer pivot for the clutch pedal to line up with the master but not a huge deal. The fuse panel won't even have 1/2" clearance but it'll fit too.

Here's the fender all patched up. That should be the last of the patch work on the body (hopefully)

Busy this weekend but by the end of next weekend I'm hoping to have the firewall finished, engine bay painted, rear end carrier swapped and rear end bolted in, all the rest of the body rust blasted and primed, maybe even the engine and trans installed (dreaming big)
76wagon

Postby 76wagon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 pm

AAHHHH!! :bang:

Turns out the fuse box will interfere with the clutch master cyl. Next step, 7" brake booster and I'm back on track
76wagon

Postby Kenova » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 pm

76wagon wrote:
Pulled the drivetrain and a few other parts out of my old (donor) car. It'll be up for sale in a month or 2, anyone interested?

Oh damn. And you are almost local too. :bang: I'll guess that it is a '77.
I probably shouldn't be asking, but what kind of shape is the body in? Does it need much work?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby 76wagon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 am

Body's in great shape. Needs some body work in the rear quarter (tire came off at one time and panel needs to be pulled and repainted) Car is super solid, has subframe connectors and urethane bushings all around. Problem with it is the car is a '76 and the VIN is a '75. My guess is the car was brought up from the states and somebody was too lazy to do the proper paperwork.

Talked to the cops and the MTO, there's no record of the car in Ontario and nobody seems to know how to straighten this out so I started with a new body out of Alberta. Great car to start with if you know how to straighten out the VIN mess or if it doesn't bother you....

Phill
76wagon

Postby 76wagon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 am

Got a bit more done this week. Rad and fan mounts are done, modified the rad support a bit for the fan and cut down the pinch weld for a little more air flow. Now just waiting on my new booster to finish up the firewall so I can paint the engine bay and get the drivetrain back in.

Had a box from Summit waiting for me when I got home yesterday- all 4 tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, end links. That`ll be every single moving part under the car brand new, Moog or Energy Suspension. Car should handle nice and tight

Last night swapped out my carrier for a 28-spline posi and slid in the S-10 axle shafts. Hopefully tonight I can get the rear bolted back in for good, can't wait to finally see my good rims on the car, they've been sitting in the shed over a year now taunting me! Always been that doubt in the back of my mind about the nice fat tires I have for the rear rubbing but I'll find out pretty soon.

I'll get some pics this weekend

Phill
76wagon

Postby 76wagon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Busy this weekend. Got the rear bolted in, think the control arms may be a bit twisted- it was a real pain to get in. Guess some adjustable control arms may be in my future...

Here it is on the ground with the 265s on the rear, they fit perfectly so I can stop worrying about that finally

Front shot- if you look close you can see the lower fan mount on the rad support and the dog debating whether or not to leave his mark on the tire.

Got the firewalll piece made up and fit. Couldn't have spared 1/4" but I got it all in- power brakes with a hydraulic clutch and there's just enough clearance for the wiring to the fuse panel inside

Here's most the steel I cut out of the car
76wagon

Postby Vega45 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Keep going a few good car shows coming up in the area .
Vega45

Postby 76wagon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 am

Let me know if you're planning on hitting any. I'll try and make it out, Vega or not

Phill
76wagon

Postby waybad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

what is your wheel an tire combo in the rear? did you do a mini tub? doesn't look like it sticks out past the fender at all?
you are really moving along on your build :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby 76wagon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am

No tubs in the rear, and the stock brace is still there. The rear tires are 265/50-15, the rims I can't quite remember- I think they're 8" wide with about 3-1/2" backspace. I'll measure them up next time they're off. The fit is just about perfect. I can just fit my fingers behind the tire and they come about even with the fenders, maybe 1/4" outside. That size seems to be pretty hard to find now so I'll probably end up going with a 255/60-15 when I get new ones

Phill
76wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals