76 Wagon Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 76 Wagon Project

Postby 76wagon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Update time. I've been driving the Vega around a bit and working out some bugs- got a proper oil cap so I'm not leaking oil on the header all the time, new brake master cylinder that actually works, air helper springs so the back tires don't rub when I've got the car all loaded up with heavy stuff.

Also built a trailer hitch for it. Used 2'" heavy wall tubing bolted to all 3 rear bumper mounts and then a 2" receiver bolts to that. Works good, really solid and hides behind the bumper when the receiver is unbolted. I'll post up some pics when I pull it back off to paint it. Here's one of it's first towing job- pulling the boat to the cottage.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up some 265/50r15s for the rear, about 1.5" shorter than the 255/60r15s I have on there now. Should look a little better and rub a lot less. I'm also on the lookout for some 195/50r15s for the front, that'll take care of the rubbing I'm getting up there and I should be able to put in the plastic fender liners too.

Phill
76wagon

Postby sportriderok » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:10 am

Phill, your car is looking great! Very inspirational to those of us that are stalled on our projects!
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby 76wagon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks Sportrider, I've been stalled on mine most of the summer and it's real nice to start getting somewhere on it again.

Got some more done on the car today-
First I fixed the left turn cancel on my steering column. I used the column out of my old blue Vega in this car and the left turn cancel hasn't worked since day 1 (over 10 years ago) so I'm pretty happy about that. I thought the turn cancel plate must be broken (that's what happened in my old Chevette- drove me nuts until I fixed it) but turned out one of the springs was missing. $2 and an hour to fix it, 10 years to get around to it! :bang:

I also got my 'new' rear tires (1.5" shorter than the old ones) installed on my rims, 1 WAAAY better looking and now I don't need the rear end 18 feet in the air to keep the tires from rubbing. Plus they're 10mm wider than the old ones too. Suspension is still jacked up but you can see they fit the wheel well way better than the old ones in the pic from my last post.

Also over the weekend I finally polished up my 2 best chrome headlight bezels, they're not perfect but look great from 5 feet away. I'm still on the fence whether I like the chrome or the painted ones better but it's only 6 screws and 5 minutes to change them back

Over the next week I'm hoping to get the rear lowered back down, get the horn finally installed and hit up the wreckers for a couple interior lights with the on/door/off switch. I've been without one since I got the car on the road. If I can find a good price I'll be swapping out the front tires as well.

I've gotten more done this past week than in the last year, feels pretty good. Only down side is winter is on its way and the car will be going into storage soon. At least it'll be ready for me in the spring.

Phill
76wagon

Postby waybad » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:25 pm

very nice :th: :th: :th: can you show more of your tow hitch..
Tinker
waybad

Previous

Return to Project Journals