Finally home

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Finally home

Postby Bullet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 pm

It took several months of hunting but I finally have my H project. Funny thing is, within a week of finding the first, I found another. So now I have two 80 model Monza Town Coupes. One was once well loved and from local lore was a fast car. The other a parts car that has been sitting for over 20 years, last tagged in 91. The first has a 305 in it but the guy that owned it was young and maybe not as sharp as he needed to be to tackle a project like this. After getting the engine in, he filled water and oil and when he checked the oil, it was full of water. Either the intake gaskets slipped, or it has frozen and cracked. No matter either way as my intentions do not involve a 305. The good parts is that the body is sound, it has a full MSD ignition including distributor, it has a new Weiand Street Warrior intake and 3310 Holley (also not part of final plans but good trading pieces), it has a 700R4, 5 lug axles, and a full set of Sun gauges. The parts car is straight as it can be in original paint so there's no place to hide repairs. I also got a perfect straight and rust free PS fender. The interior in the maroon car is kind of ratty, a mix of firethorn red and spray dyed black but the interior in the parts car is buckskin and unmolested. The guy stripped it all out and stored it in a closet in his house 10 years ago to keep it from getting sun damaged. I also got extra taillights, trim pieces, etc. All in all, I believe there's enough top quality parts and pieces to put a really good car together. The powertrain will be the old school standard of 350 4spd. I'm planning a mini-tub with an 8.8 frord or an 8.5 10 bolt depending on what I run across first. Progress will be a little slow until I can get past property tax season and get the fixer into my much crowded but clearing it out drive under. Another plus of these compact hot rods, they fit where full size cars won't.
Here's the project;

Beefy radiator, just a tad tall but I plan to lower the support instead of notch out the hood like has been done.

Here's the parts car;

4 banger with PS and AC

This is what makes it a parts car to me. Maybe someone else will buy the leftovers and fix this car.

Here's the "prototype" I love the look and stance of this car. I have no idea who owns it, found it on a Bing image search.
If anyone has any objections to my posting it here or know who owns it so I can get permission, let me know.

Next step, getting it inside and taken apart.
Bullet

Re: Finally home

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm

here is the car you are admiring.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/3429966921.html

1979 Chevy Monza Sdn Pro Street LS1 (mountville, pa)
Date: 2012-12-22, 10:17AM EST
wnh5z-3429966921@sale.craigslist.org[?]
29K origional Miles, All origional and build pics!, sw ladder bar backhalf, special joint setup for the street, 9" ford currie center, posi, 4.30 gears, 31 spline currie axle & housing, 10 point s & w roll cage, installed around origional interior, no back seat, 29x18.50 mickeys, billtett specialities street light sfi certifited wheels, full frame installed when backhalf and cage put in, 5.7 ls1 motor, gm performance camshaft, 11 to 1 compression, costom head work, 500 hp, 5 speed tremec custom manual transmission with performance clutch, custom headers, edelbrock intake and spark control system, 750 summit carb, fresh clearcoat paint - not perfect as the car gets driven everywhere, but very sharp! s10 drop spindles and s10 front brakes, vett master cylinder, 1 wire alt. Fast, fun driveable car, folders and folders of parts, over 35k invested. All reciepts included Only part that is not finished, the rear tubs inside need carpet installed yet, everything else is done and done awesome! $18,500.00 OBO Need to sell, make offer!! 717 -826-1443
monzaaddict

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:59 pm

That is a very nicely done car from what I can see. 35K invested and only asking about half that, not bad.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby sportriderok » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 pm

You have a nice base for a killer project! That car looks pretty clean to start with. Keep us posted and lots of pics!
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby Bullet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Will do. I'm glad I found this forum, there's so much good info here and it will make it all go faster just knowing what works and what doesn't. Some of the fab work I've seen here is top drawer stuff. Another forum I am a member at for John Deere lawn and garden tractors set up a sight for technical info, things like pdf files, drawings, etc. I am a CAD drafter by profession and if anyone has dimensions and pictures, I can turn that into drawings that can be downloaded and used to help others with their projects. Would love to help out in that department.
Bullet

Postby Bullet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:10 pm

And for the record, drawings would be public property linked to this forum. I wouldn't ever try to profit from other peoples work.
Bullet

Return to Project Journals