72 vega budget build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

72 vega budget build

Postby ryguy442 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Hey guys, my names Ryan from NC. So I'm about to start my vega project. The story about this project is my father and I were looking for a vega for me. We found a few that just weren't going to work for what I wanted to do most were really rotten. We found this one and it was pretty solid, but the battery really did a number on the fame on the right side. So I was going to pass this one up too. The guy who had it was going to start crushing and offered it to me, if I'd pay the crushed weight. So couldn't pass it up. I brought it home and parked in the back yard while I worked on other projects. My father hounded me all the time to work on the vega instead on what I was working on because it would be the easiest. Well of course I didn't listened.... Then I suddenly lost my dad 2 years ago. The more I thought about the more I realize he was right. So that bring us up to date. Today I dragged it out of the woods. It looks kinda rough right now but it's not all that bad the floors and trunk are solid from what I can tell. There is alittle rot in the right fender. I got a new fender for the left side. The door on the left side will need some help but nothing major. The worst part of the car is under where the battery was, also the rear hatch is shot. Also the lower valance is missing. So ill need some help from you guys to find some parts.
Last edited by ryguy442 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryguy442

Re: 71 vega budget build

Postby waybad » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:48 pm

buy a chassis and go from there
Tinker
waybad

Postby ryguy442 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Iv been doing welding and fabrication work for close to 15 years now. I can handle the rust, if I got too ill cut the frame section out of another car or ill just make it.
ryguy442

Postby 74Sleeper » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey there, Im not sure where you are located but you may want to talk to a guy on this forum named "VegaGT". He has an entire front portion of a 71 (I think its a 71) Vega that may be of use for rust repair on your car.
74Sleeper

Postby VegaGT » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Mine was a 74, but I have not gotten rid of the nose yet. If you want the frame rail portion of that section I would gladly cut it off and ship it to you. PM me if it is something you want to do. Just need to know how far back from the front you need. The rest would be easy to fab out of sheet. Mine met it's demise because a very complex to make part of the structure was gone. Make sure you check it out very carefully. I thought mine was good, until I cut off someones repair below the cowl and uncovered NOTHING of structural value... I had little interest after that.

I have been super busy lately, but could get at it in a week or so. Just let me know soon, I am donating the scrap metal from this car to a local guy, but have not called him to let him know he can come and get it yet.
Chris
Looking for a good one...
VegaGT

Postby ryguy442 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for looking out for me guys! I got a buddy in Texas who has a monza he is parting out so he said he would give me the piece I need. If that falls thru ill let you know! Beleive it or not this is the most solid project I got even with the frame issue. I'm hoping I don't run into any major structural issues I did find alittle bondo on the door so hopefully there isn't anything hiding. I'm going parts hunting Friday, and I'm starting work on the vega this weekend so ill update you guys.

Ryan
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

So this is what I woke up to this morning. Not a lot I can do on it where it's sitting, did alittle cleaning in the inside. I did end up find alittle bit of rust I wasn't expecting. One small spot on passenger side floor and another in the trunk where the spare goes. It's not major. I wanted to make the section where the spare was flat anyway to mount my fuel cell in there. From what I can see the channel under the windshield is solid. So that's good

Ryan
ryguy442

Postby sportriderok » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 pm

It looks cold and lonely out there!
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby michael allman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm

What part of N.C. are you at ,I 'm in Conover ,N.C. ,if you need something my way let me know. Michael Allman
michael allman

Postby ryguy442 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:00 pm

I live in the Burlington/Greensboro area aroud two hours or so from where you are.
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Hey guys, got the vega up to the house this morning thanks to a friend on mine and his 4x4. I got the interior cleaned out, took the bumper off, replaced the driver side fender and gave it a quick bath. I got a rearend for it yesterday had to roll around in the mud for awhile to get it. So that'll be going in soon. Ill also be doing the floor repairs soon.
ryguy442

Re: 72 vega budget build

Postby ryguy442 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Damn weather doesn't want to work with me. Woke up to a vega popsicle. Luckly it thawed today so hopfully I make some progress tomorrow
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Progress today! Got the old junky 4 clynder out of it today. Surprisingly went really smooth. Now I can get in there and fix the frame section and start rebuilding the wheel tubs and rad. support. Just need to get the piece to fix the frame.
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Did pretty good this weekend. Got the old rearend out and torched off the brackets. Took all the control arms off and boxed them. I would love to got with tubular one but I don't the money. Mine arnt the prettiest work iv done but they will work. I hope to have the new rearend in by the end of next weekend. I got a deal working out from the frame section I need and also have traced down a front and rear valance. We'll see how it works out!
ryguy442

Postby sportriderok » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 am

Good deal! Finding parts for these things is the hardest part sometimes. I like the boxed control arms.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Next

Return to Project Journals