1972 Vega GT Wagon build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1972 Vega GT Wagon build

Postby 73astregt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 am

my t5 is out of an 88 iroc camaro, it is the stronger world class t5 same as the mustangs handles a bit more power than the earlier trans. in a light car like ours i doubt you will hurt any t5 as long as you buy a good shifter with positive stops built into it and you dont run sticky tires. i used a hurst billit plus shifter, bit pricey but lots better than the stock one.i run a pretty healthy 355 v8 in my astre and the trans has held up to anything ive thrown at it so far, i do have a pretty heavy foot at times. you more than likely will have to make some more room in the tunnel for the bellhousing, lots of guys just adjust it with the BFH method i did, just dont go too crazy. the stock shifter hole in the tunnel will probably have to be moved rearward a couple inches and you will have to make a trans crossmember and a shorter driveshaft, this will depend on where you mount the motor. as you have probably seen in the britishv8 link the t5 came in many different brands of cars and trucks so there are many different tailshafts and shifter positions with the s10 i believe the farthest forward and the camaro the farthest rearward several guys myself included, have installed the t5 with good results. here is a link to my journal with some pics and info from when i put the t5 in the astre viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26282&start=15
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby CK88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:02 am

Were all camaros outfitted with the WC from 88 on, or did they phase them in over time?

How much of the shaft did you need to cut for yours? I saw your build was for a v8, with mine being a 4.3, and thus 4.4 inches shorter in the back than a sbc, would I be able to just use a v8 mount and bring the trans that 4.4 inches forward also, avoiding having to cut the shaft, and move the shifter hole? Would this also alleviate my bellhousing/tunnel clearance? ^^Seems to easy...^^
CK88

Postby CK88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:02 am

Were all camaros outfitted with the WC from 88 on, or did they phase them in over time?

How much of the shaft did you need to cut for yours? I saw your build was for a v8, with mine being a 4.3, and thus 4.4 inches shorter in the back than a sbc, would I be able to just use a v8 mount and bring the trans that 4.4 inches forward also, avoiding having to cut the shaft, and move the shifter hole? Would this also alleviate my bellhousing/tunnel clearance? ^^Seems to easy...^^
CK88

Postby 73astregt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

i believe pretty much all the t5 trans were world class after 88 BUT there are differences so i wouldent go newer than that, bell to trans bolt patterns are different and i believe after 88 a lot of the trans had electronic speedos as well. on my setup the shaft was around three inches too long but i had a 8 3/4 chrysler rear at the time then changed that rear about a year later to a gm one from monzaz wich required a new shaft again so if you do decide to go with a t5 your best bet is to get the motor and trans sitting in the car where they are gonna live then measure for a driveshaft at that point. either way overdrive auto or t5 standard trans will demand a new driveshaft. do your research first get all your ducks in a row then get into the mechanicals life will be easier! here is a link to another members journal that had messed with the t5 deal but every project is different and have variables so unless someone has done your exact swap take note but dont think yours will work same as theirs remember VARIABLES! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19422&start=15
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby CK88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

That's the plan, 73, that's why I'm working this all out now. :th: Hopefully by the time the money and parts are available, I'll be ready info-wise as well. Thank you for the input, you're probably right about the motor/trans position... I'll have to see what I'm looking at for cutting the tunnel, never really tackled that kind of job before on my own.
CK88

Postby CK88 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _500wt_951

Just found that on ebay. It's got the .63 OD, came from a V8 car, and SEEMS to be pretty clean. I've got my 2wd s10 donor car lined up with the 4.3 in it, so this SHOULD bolt right up to it, right? How about the crossmember for this swap? What other components need to be swapped to make these fit? Being that the engine will sit in a different position, will I need to change up trans mounting also? Been talking with the tech department at powerbyace.com. Apparently they are going to start putting out a 4.3 engine and trans mounting kit. Anybody have any reviews on them as a company or that as a product?

Also, is cutting the tunnel going to be a have to to fit this t5?

Sorry, just want to have all my ducks in a row before I dive in to it.
CK88

Postby CK88 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

Hey guys, still considering what option to go with for a power plant on this build. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on a 4.3 Vortec as far as install, fitment, and wiring in my wagon VERSUS going with an 80's carbureted 4.3 engine. Will the vortec fit with the different heads and intake? And will a vortec engine (obviously off of a newer GM) fit with the Gen 3 Camaro V8 T5 Trans? It SHOULD be the same fit, right?
CK88

Previous

Return to Project Journals