1977 Vega Kammback

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1977 Vega Kammback

Postby CaptainPainn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 pm

cooling (1).jpg
cooling (2).jpg
cooling (3).jpg
cooling (4).JPG
cooling (5).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:27 pm

cooling (6).JPG
cooling (7).JPG
cooling (8).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CaptainPainn on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 pm

cooling (9).JPG
cooling (10).JPG
cooling (12).JPG
cooling (13).JPG
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm

sidepipe.jpg
keystone.jpg

Tires will tuck into the fender after the inner edge is cut out. Need new tires though.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:03 am

What's that electric fan out of? Saturn? Don't forget to wire it backwards( + to - and - to +) so it will push instead of pull.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby CaptainPainn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm

No idea what the fan is from. I had a few different fans in the barn and thats the one that fit best. Lots of work to get it to fit perfect though. I was given some Saturn parts a couple years, so it very well could be from one.

Located some rear springs. Should pick em' up this weekend.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:55 pm

I centered it by using the glove box and its screw holes, and the instrument cluster to dash mounting point. For the firewall to dash bracket, i drilled the spot welds out. Used a bolt.
dash (1).JPG
dash (2).JPG
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:50 am

Been 3 months. Have new rotors installed. Kinda annoying that I had to buy everything separate. Like i'm going to use old seals ,bearings, and dust caps... Sway bar installed. The bushings are crap for quality, but i guess i should be happy that they offer them at all. Installed rear springs from a 92 Firebird Formula. Think that gave me the height i want, but cant be for certain until i have engine in and new tires. I now need an adjustable panhard bar. After the Ohio show, i will have the LT-1 heads redone and find a tunnel ram. Still have to decide on a short block. Here's the dash after i finished it, as well as rust repair in the body that i am currently doing.
progress (1).jpg
progress (2).jpg
progress (3).jpg
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby CaptainPainn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:48 am

vega (2).jpg
vega (1).jpg
Swapped out manual steering for power. I was worried that the steering box would hit the radiator, but i got lucky and have 1/8" clearance. Broke a bolt off in the box, ended up having to torch it out. Hope i didn't melt seals inside the case. Installed a weighted block for the first time since i rebuilt the front suspension. I like the ride height and quality. Its got another hundred pounds or so, but this is pretty much the final ride height. Not happy with ride height in the back however, it needs more rake. Right now the car is sitting level. So i'm back on the prowl for another set of springs, or possibly some spacer blocks. Going to have to trim fenders in the front, because i refuse to go with a smaller tire. I ordered a tunnel ram at Summit the weekend during the Quaker City show, and im still waiting on it. The damned thing ain't even cast yet. I check the order status every week and every week it gets farther and farther away.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 pm

That fan looks interesting but the only thing I would mention is that the shroud looks to block a lot of the front of the radiator. I guess you'll see how it works and hopefully will be fine. If not, it's something to look at. Also, are you using rubber or poly bushings in the front end control arms? If they are rubber you should not torque them down until the car is at normal ride height (engine installed etc). If you torque them down prior to that the rubber will have a twist in it instead of being in its' normal relaxed state. This could affect your ride height and also cause the rubber to fail prematurely. Poly's don't matter since they pivot in the bushing shell.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby CaptainPainn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 pm

With the shroud i thought it was supposed to mostly cover the radiator? To ensure that air goes through and not out the sides? I am unable to run a mechanical fan. Was planning on an electric water pump and hood louvers. The bushings are rubber. Wish i had gone with the offset bushings, and would like to someday upgrade to Overkill control arms. Way ahead of you on not torquing them down until its weighted properly, already know. :th: Good advise for the more novice. I mocked up the power break booster and master. I was reading a thread the other day about doing something to an old master cylinder and proportioning valve to use it again. I forget what it was, but the ones i'm using came out of a car that sat for 22 years.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby waybad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 am

moving along quite nicely!! :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:45 pm

CaptainPainn wrote:With the shroud i thought it was supposed to mostly cover the radiator? To ensure that air goes through and not out the sides? I am unable to run a mechanical fan. Was planning on an electric water pump and hood louvers..

Captain on a puller Yes with pushers NO, at high speeds the fan can actually block air movement and then the shroud covers the rest. The puller will pull from the whole rad with a shroud, a pusher only moves air at the outer 2" outer circumference (approximate and varies widely with size, type, and speeds). There have been some pusher shrouds that have been cut/modified and had flaps or one way check valves installed to allow air in when the outer pressure is greater than that created by the fans ie; high speed travel. Why can't you make an engine driven fan and water pump fit/work? You are planning on a short water pump setup no? Is your engine not set back as far as the V8 cousins, and therefore causing a shortage of necessary real estate up front. And like mentioned by many, lower valance/air-dam are musts for proper air handling. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby CaptainPainn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 am

I mocked up a water pump and fan and took a picture. After seeing It on there, i think i could use a mechanical fan, though i will have to get a smaller fan. Engine to rad clearance is not the issue. When i made my own engine mounts i raised the engine up for ground and steering clearance. Think i may have sunk the radiator some from stock height too. I have a lower valance for it, but it needs repaired before it can be installed. Should i try and open up the shroud on the pusher, and would it be recommended i do run a mechanical ran as well?
IMG_2558.JPG
Last edited by CaptainPainn on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby TimMcCabe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 am

Hi Captainpainn,

Your fan and shroud are going to cause you issues if mounted in front of the rad.
Having the shroud on the back (engine side) forces air to be "pulled" through the entire core, so you are getting cooling across the entire surface area.
Putting the shroud on the front is just blocking air from flowing over everywhere but where the fan opening is.
If you do mount a fan in front of the rad, there should be nothing blocking the airflow from the core.
The other issue is most fans are designed to either push or pull depending on the blade contour. You can hook the fan up to run backwards, but the efficiency will be horrible with much lower CFM then when it is running in the correct direction. There are electric fans that can run in both directions, but their CFM rating is usually lower then a similar sized fan with a dedicated direction.

If you have room for a mechanical fan, that is the way to go, it is much more effective at moving air. A shroud that surrounds the mechanical fan would also be helpful and you may not need to run an electric at all.

Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals