1972 Vega Panel Express, "Black Shadow"

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1972 Vega Panel Express, "Black Shadow"

Postby 72 Black Shadow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 am

Zeke,

Tranny is your run of the muck turbo 350 with hardened gears and stage 2 shift kit with a B&M 3000 hole shot. I think this should hold up to the BB as I told the tranny guy what HP was going thru it, and what gears the rear end had. Here's hope I don't have any issues!!

Peter pumpkin eater is right at home watching over the progress of the panel, and is excited for his first ride, as I am. Hope to get some progress over the holiday season, but even that is tight with plans to go to Revelstoke BC for a couple days of sledding, then family time...... Time is limited these days.

Happy Holidays!!
Darcy

69 Nova SS L78, M21, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, Canadian documented nut and bolt resto being done, now
1984 Hurst/Olds, 1-226 for Canadian sales, 1-15 with power sun roof.
1972 Vega Panel Express, project, Tunnel Rammed 427, Automatic, 12 bolt 4:56's
72 Black Shadow

Postby 72 Black Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Now that the holiday season has come and went and I still have some time off work, I have progress the panel a bit more. The Wieand Tunnel ram wasn't drilled out for the top alt bracket, so I had a buddy come over and preform that. That way if it screwed up, I had some to complain at. Had no issues. Pic #1 Shows the string line and how everything lines up pretty good for the future placement of the alt belt. Pic #2 is the same thing, just a better pic. The bracket attached to the bottom of the Alt, I turned it around, welded it up and cut it to proper size. Pic #3 shows the bracket we built to build up the mount for the bottom of the alternator. SO pic #4 show the 1/2 inch shim we put behind the 68 alternator bracket against the water pump.

The reason I am documenting this Alternator fabing and fitting for a 427 Vega is I have looked high and low on the net for some picture building guidance and have found nothing. My hope is someone will be able to benefit for these pictures.

IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darcy

69 Nova SS L78, M21, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, Canadian documented nut and bolt resto being done, now
72 Black Shadow

Postby 72 Black Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Pic #1 shows the alignment of the alternator and the rest of the pulleys with the belt in place. Looks pretty good!!
Pic #2 Shows the bottom alt bracket welded into place. No laughing as my welding skill need a bit more practice.
Pic #3 Same as the last picture, just a better angle.

That pretty much looks after the Alt install now. Again, I hope this will be of some help to someone in the future for the install of the Alternator.

IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darcy

72 Black Shadow

Postby 72 Black Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Pic #1 I had this little tray built for the bottom of the rad, placed in some rubber and used some Gorilla glue and a couple rivets so the bottom of the rad had some cushion under it. The used a couple of flat tex screws and mounted it.
Pic #2 Got the rad in place and side mounts in place that I built. Rad seems pretty solid how I have mounted it.
Pic #3 Pic just shows how much room I have in between the fan and rad.

My concerns now are the upper rad will have to be modified a bit and put a curve neck in place. Gonna go hunting in town tomorrow and see what I can come up with for a hose that flex's enough before I go to the rad shop. Also the bottom of the rad might need a slight mod also as it bends up out of the rad and should come straight out to connect to the bottom water pump. Again, I will see what I can find tomorrow.

Hope the pictures all make some sort of sense to ya all.

IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
Darcy

72 Black Shadow

Postby 72 Black Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:53 pm

When the car was in limbo a few years back, the gauges were stolen off the cowl. When the bandits did this, they bent everything up. So what I did was had a small aluminum plate made. I cut a few small pieces of rubber and placed them on the bottom side of the bracket and mounted it on the cowl to hide the mess. I still have one more gauge to mount, but need to work on getting power to the back of it as the wire pulled out. But it's spot is ready when I get it fixed up.

I think it looks pretty good where it was mounted, and easy to see.

Got the oil dipstick in placed now, the oil sending units all hooked up on the bottom side. Temperature sending units hooked up.

Got to get after getting the dash back in the car and the steering done. I have all the components for the steering in hand, just gotta get after it. Then get some engine wiring harness back in place.

Tomorrow I will be taking the tranny cross member back out and take it to a machine shop so they can get it properly drilled out for the tranny mount for me. Then grab some better nuts and bolts and try to get that portion of the car fastened up.

Enjoy!!

IMG_0203.JPG
Darcy

72 Black Shadow

Postby Jim mck » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:40 pm

This 72 Vega is a blast from the past we did lots of work on it in the 80s it had green paint and a 350 in it when it was first bought years later painted black with red and orange lightning bolts then changed to what it is now and a 327 that I believe is was in it now now a 427 it was fast in the day and now it will be faster
Jim mck

Postby waybad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:07 am

if it were me I'd sell the 512 block for good money and put it toward whatever you needed.. nice build!!
Tinker
waybad

Postby VegaPanel1972 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 am

Waybad,

I bought this 512-4 bolt block for the strength to rev this motor to 6500RPM or higher. It's build to just shy of L88 spec minus the compression. It's dependable, it sounds cool, and I ain't gonna sell it, but thanks for the suggestion. I don't need anything else, I have what I wanted/purchased. Lot's of people would tickled pink to have a CE-512-4 bolt. I know I am......

I guess if it was you, why would you sell it? Then you have to find find another suitable block, machine it, assemble it....etc. That sound expensive to me. Your telling me you'd start all over and incur all these extra expenses just to sell a block? Sounds like you have more money them me.

Thanks again
VegaPanel1972

Previous

Return to Project Journals