1980 Monza Town Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Monza Town Coupe

Postby Diesel Dan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Lack of progress update.

Not much farther along but car is farther away now.
We moved to middle Tennessee and I hauled the car down with all the pieces. It is just sitting while we build a new house/shop.

....some day....
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm

The "unusual" builds are always the most fun!

Love this project. Keep plugging away! :th:
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Bullet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I live in east TN and have two 80 model town coupes so if you end up needing something, let me know.
Bullet

Postby Diesel Dan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Will do :th:

You don't by chance have a 5 gallon jug of motivation do you?
Think mine is getting empty!
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Bullet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 am

Yep! I stored it with my round tuits! As soon as I find them I'll let ya know!
Bullet

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:25 am

monza2.jpeg
monza1.jpeg
Boy and the years slide by......
Time hasn't been too kind to the car. Sun very hard on the paint job, turns out it was a cheap paint job too. They taped off around the side moldings and drip rail molding. At least it is back on concrete and off the dirt. Also is now out of the rust belt.

Here's hoping 2019 will go better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby vegastre » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Dan,
Might I Say my admiration for this project is off the scale. I wish I was there helping you. Yeah, I'm doing some catch up myself both on the SJ and the Board here. Town Coupes are beautiful cars with or with out paint.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Diesel Dan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 pm

So I was tracked down at another site for updates......man H-body owners are relentless. :lol:

Only update is the car is now back to indoor storage, wish I would/could have done it a lot sooner.

Need to finish head gaskets on my Duramax before even thinking about working on the monza.
3636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Diesel Dan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Been busy building my shop/house (shouse) for last few yeas.
sh.jpg
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm

We are a tenacious bunch Dan! Sorry to have had to hunt you down over there on "Garage Journal" but you proudly list the Monza in your Sig line so I knew it was you, even though we only met once for a few minutes back about 4 years ago [Quaker meet in Ohio]. Nice Shop you have going on there. Drop by from time to time, we miss just about everybody now that Facebook has been populated with old H-body guys. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm

One of the things I miss since leaving OH is the car shows and swap meets, met many nice car people.
There is a group of garage journal guys who meet up at the canfield swap meet every year for the last 6yrs or so.
Wife and I were looking forward to Canada for the BBQ at some point.

Going to be doing some serious land scaping, dirt moving this weekend for some more level ground for parking and what not.
Who knows, maybe a southern ralley point sometime in the future?
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Diesel Dan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Finally did some work on the Monza.
Opened and closed the drivers door :lol:

This year hasn't been very kind for projects.
Had to deal with many trips to DRs/Hospitals etc with more to come.
Luckily not life threatening but as the primary care giver it's time consuming and energy consuming for all.

Since the car has turned into such a LONG term project I'm reconsidering the powertrain options.
Might just yank the 3800 for a LHU turbo4. Then I look at all those unused parts.......

Wife still doesn't like the car though!
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby dindin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 am

once it back road worthy your wife will come around when she see's how happy it makes you,... im sure.

"done is better than perfect" applies to cars also..

Al
dindin

Postby Diesel Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 am

Rolled the ole girl out of the shop for first bath in couple of years I think.

Dang mice chewed up my perfectly good trunk carpet. :cuss: Garage is sealed up much better now so rodents should be a thing of the past now. Was getting all kinds of things done around the house before cold snap and shoulder surgery. Cleaning the car not nec but something for I wanted to do. With things progressing so far on the "shouse" hopefully 2020 will allow time for the car. For now a 2 lb weight limit for 2 months.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Diesel Dan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am

Monza Harry wrote:We are a tenacious bunch Dan!

A lot has gone on in the last 2 years but unfortunately no with the Monza.
However in the last few months I was able to snag a few rough cars before scrappers.
Spyder.jpeg

Firenza.jpeg

The 1980 Spyder is a V6/4spd, non-a/c car. Was a one owner that was parked probably 20 yrs ago in wet area and trees grew up around it. People who bought house wanted it gone after they cut it out of the woods and hit about everything with the chainsaw. Front spoiler, rear bumper, trim rings on wheels. :bang: To make it worse the windows were left down for years. The roof is rotted out even on this.

The 1979 Firenza was from a estate sale, original owner again but still not stored great. It is a 305/auto, A/C, has tach and 8-track radio (have to check if AM or AM/FM) but doesn't have tilt column. Body rotted out on this as well but spoiler and wheel flares look to be good. Even the header panel and grills seem to be damage free. Not one good trim ring or center cap on this one though.

Not sure what is going to happen with them yet. The Spyder is donating it's sway bars to my T/C. Might try and get the front spoiler to fit the T/C as well....if it can be saved since its very spongy.

The Olds......don't think that body tube will be savable either.
I do have a lead on a pretty solid 77-79 monza HB body if I was to do a full on restoration. But in the meantime I think the 305/auto may take up residency in the Town Coupe. At first glance there appears to be enough of the olds specific parts in useable condition to clone it. The spyder.....not worth it.

Then I started to think about making a clone Firenza Coupe that never existed......
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals