Making use of garage space!

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Making use of garage space!

Postby cjbiagi » Mon May 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I believe that goes to the oil pressure switch. That could keep the fuel pump from running if you have a electric one in the tank. Your starter issue could also be with the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch, not sure if you have a automatic or manual trans.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vernjeggies » Mon May 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Yeah I researched an online wiring diagram and found that its a missing oil pressure switch, which makes sense since someone added an aftermarket oil pressure guage. It's an automatic, and my original thought was a problem with the neutral safety. Maybe I'll dig into that a little deeper. Thanks for the second opinion!
Jeff

1985 Chevrolet S-10 - 2.8L 5spd 4x4 (daily driver)
1975 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon - 3.8L V6 Auto
vernjeggies

1975 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby SeniorSavage » Tue May 26, 2015 1:47 am

here's the diagram if ya need it Jeff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Monza Harry » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 am

That is the plug for the oil pressure switch these cars have an electric fuel pump and the oil pressure will shut it off if the pressure drops or the engine quits. That harness should reach up to the front right on a 3.8 but your wagon may not have come with that engine and somebody just unplugged that from the 4 Banger and added (or left it there from the donor) a mechanical pump. The blue one (?) goes to the starter to prime the pump for starting and plug onto the prong for the ignition (not used since HEI). Check to see if that wire and the starter feed are crossed, that will disable both the start and the prime feature, and if that donor is new enough it will only have one terminal and the wrong wire maybe on it. Harry http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tt4a.gif So make sure the correct wire is on the "S" contact/terminal
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vernjeggies » Thu May 28, 2015 3:12 pm

SeniorSavage wrote:here's the diagram if ya need it Jeff.

Thats incredibly helpful,
Thanks!

Monza Harry wrote: Check to see if that wire and the starter feed are crossed, that will disable both the start and the prime feature, and if that donor is new enough it will only have one terminal and the wrong wire maybe on it.

The motor is a donor for sure. Someone must have left the plug there from the i4. It's going to be a real job trying to see those wires, since the starter is pretty tightly mounted. I think I'd have to pull the motor to actually replace the starter haha. I'll have a look though.
Thanks for the pointers!
Jeff

vernjeggies

Postby vernjeggies » Thu May 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Everything seems to check out with the starter wiring. I also tried jumping the neutral safety switch, and no difference. Is there a way to test the ignition switch itself?
Jeff

vernjeggies

Postby Ckill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:16 pm

You can test the ignition switch with a basic test light or a voltmeter. What you want to do is test at the column on the large gauge yellow or purple wire. You should have 12v (or battery voltage) while you hold the key in the crank position. If not bad switch. For that matter you can even jump from one of the large gauge red wires to that same starter wire and test the rest of the circuit. Hope that helps.
:th: :th: :th:
Ckill

Postby vernjeggies » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Ckill wrote:You can test the ignition switch with a basic test light or a voltmeter. What you want to do is test at the column on the large gauge yellow or purple wire. You should have 12v (or battery voltage) while you hold the key in the crank position. If not bad switch. For that matter you can even jump from one of the large gauge red wires to that same starter wire and test the rest of the circuit. Hope that helps.
:th: :th: :th:

Thats perfect! Thank you. I'll check that tomorrow after work. I couldnt figure out which was the main power in at that point.
Jeff

vernjeggies

Previous

Return to Project Journals