Dwight's '72 Kammback GT - 215 c.i. V8

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dwight's '72 Kammback GT - 215 c.i. V8

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:10 am

I remember seeing a "Cut Away" in a magazine when they first came out and thought if it came with a "Real Engine" it would've been cool! I was very impressed with the fact it wasn't your typical Import strut front/rear suspension, and looked to be really well engineered car, then they became "Chick Cars" so I never "bit". The Miata has become the one to beat in the lower level Road Race circles, good handling lots of aftermarket support and cheap buy in, you will likely have a blast! Stacy David did that Conversion with the 302 Ford and some pretty mod's (Banshee) Now that would be "REAL FUN" Enjoy Dwight, but get back to the H-Bodies once in awhile. Harry https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=St ... orcl_hpset :mrgreen:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Ken Mahoy sold me a Spyder F-41 (1.125") 1 & 1/8" front anti-sway bar. Check out the difference in it and the stock Vega bar.
Sway Bar Vega vs Spyder.jpeg

Here it is installed..... I added some poly end link bushings.
Spyder bar on Vega.jpeg

Man, is there a HUGE difference in driving. Probably not due to either one mod individually, but combined, this thing is AWESOME!
Need to add some poly bushings to the swaybar where it meets the body.

Looking for the Spyder F41 larger rear diameter bar, now........

Forgot to mention........ added new shocks a few weeks ago.
KYBs up front
and some Gabriels or some similar shock in the rear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:51 pm

My dad had a Miata, I drove it some, it was "fun" but I felt like a gnat among all the normal size cars and trucks around. Too many distracted drivers around here to
feel safe in something like that.

So new shocks sway bars bushings, I am going to have to fit those 265 tires on the front to keep up with the wagon!

Looking forward to a fun weekend. The dragon may be terrifying in a Vega?

Are you guys coming down for the event at Summit in Atlanta? April 16-17, I think Adam and I will be there.
I am already registered for that.
avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:42 pm

avewhtboy wrote:My dad had a Miata, I drove it some, it was "fun" but I felt like a gnat among all the normal size cars and trucks around. Too many distracted drivers around here to
feel safe in something like that.

So new shocks sway bars bushings, I am going to have to fit those 265 tires on the front to keep up with the wagon!

Looking forward to a fun weekend. The dragon may be terrifying in a Vega?

Are you guys coming down for the event at Summit in Atlanta? April 16-17, I think Adam and I will be there.
I am already registered for that.

I've been driving old air-cooled VWs since '87-'88. A Miata is leaps and bounds more safer than what I'm accustomed to. Really getting into this one.

Hahahaha...... the Wagon will be dead last. I haven't raced in 2 years and the grocery-getter isn't exactly top-notch. I was just commenting on how much better the bigger bar and poly endlink bushings improved things.

Sadly, I have to work the weekend of the event in Atlanta..... so I haven't registered. Be kinda hard to get one of the other 3 guys to take my shifts when they're taking my shifts for the Smokies event. I wish I could attend. I really miss hanging with those Pro-Touring guys.
Wracker will be going..... if he doesn't blow up the Duster in the Smokies. :lol: The last time he did that event, he blew the 727 Torque Flight trans.... That's how the TKO 5-speed happened. I think he mentioned something about camping while down there that weekend?
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Now I know why my rear quarter panels are rusting behind the mud flaps........

If you look under your rear quarter panels, you'll see a drain that has a frame with an opening, held on with two phillips head screws. Behind that frame/opening is a rubber gasket with a slit in it. This rubber gasket with the slit is to help prevent stuff getting into the quarter panel from underneath.... while allowing stuff from the top to fall out.
Periodically, they need cleaned out to ensure proper operation/drainage.

Here's a shot of one of mine (circled) ......
Air Lines Exit Drain.jpeg

I was vacuuming out the spare tire well/area and got to digging around back there and found some rust scale, screws and junk between the quarters and the inner trunk panel...... figured I'd do some cleaning out..... and I remembered these drains need to be periodically opened (I just did this to my Miata.... fresh on my mind).

Now I know why my quarters are rusting out..... the car is unbelievably rust free (even the battery tray/area is great), except for the quarters behind the mud flaps. Appears the screw holes for the mud flaps allowed moisture to get to the accumulated Oklahoma red dirt that has settled in the lower quarter panels.
When I bought the car, there was several miles of dirt/gravel road to the fella's house. Dust was everywhere. I imagine, there were much more dirt/gravel roads in OK during the 70's and 80's when this car was rolling around.

Drain Dirt.jpeg

A LOT of Oklahoma red........
See video of cleanout:
https://youtu.be/NLD8krMbOl0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bugdewde on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:35 pm

While digging around back there, I found this neat item.......... Hmmmmm.... wonder what this does?
Rear Light Switch.jpeg

A toggle switch for the "thought-to-be-non-operational" rear dome light that obviously appears to be a previous owner add-on light.... Might try to retro-fit it with a factory one.

And now..... an operating rear-most dome light.... :th:
Rear Light.jpeg
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Moved the throttle pedal up and over about an inch each way..... hoping to avoid the dreaded brake/throttle event that has plagued me since the manual pedal swap.

Pedals moved.jpeg

Throttle pedal.jpeg
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 am

Well Dwight you may not be able to drive it with work or snow boots but that appears to enough room for human sized sneakers. You don't wear a size 14 or something do you? :lol: That throttle position looks more familiar to me than bolted to the steering column. Now we NEED a driving impression with video because well you started sharing video with us! :lol: :burn: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Now we NEED a driving impression with video because well you started sharing video with us! :lol: :burn: Harry

You asked for it, Harry!

Hope you SBC guys don't start hatin' on the old 215 V8. It's kinda loud and the T-50 trans is so noisy ... I even swapped out the ATF in it for 30 weight. Better but still noisy.

Windshield Mount: https://youtu.be/EXFLaXh3u5M
Can't really get a feel for the anti-sway properties with this view... but it sure was fun!

Rear Window Mount: https://youtu.be/y5SkTYIAk64
Trying to get the pedals in this one. I'm actually wearing my size 12 Chippewas with out any major issues with the brake/throttle.
Can't really see the danged road all that well to see how much flatter the car is with the bigger anti-sway bar.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Dwight I wouldn't hate on your "Aluminum V8" even though they are a little displacement challenged. It is clear from your vid's that the car isn't at all skittish and it looks pretty flat around those corners to me, and that tiny lightweight is screaming right up there with out hesitation! I would lose my license and or my life with those roads and all those BLIND corners! Not to mention all of that wildlife hideout along the edge of the road. Thanx for sharing and I think that looks like a blast Dwight, and size twelves' in a Vega? :mrgreen: :D Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BadBowtie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Sounds like a good time, easy to get in trouble! Jealous of that sway bar and lightweight combo.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 pm

As for losing life and/or license...... I'd once gotten 11 points within a 6 month period.... enough to get a letter from the DOT/Homeland Security. They WILL evaluate my driving privilege if I exceed 12 points in 12 months. That was a tough 6 months.

Most folks around here learned to drive on these twisties...... there really aren't that many accidents.
As for wildlife, this road rarely sees wildlife, as it's quite steep down to the river..... access to water is much easier in other places, so wildlife typically stays away from here.
As a young teenager, I rode my motorcycle along this road back in the 70s when it was just a chip and tar road. Meeting traffic is rare unless it's around shift change.
It's a great challenge, as it has elevation changes, varying radius curves and even off-camber and banking turns.

There's also a boat access ramp near here that has just been freshly paved. I tested my LSD on it today......... Yep, it works!
Posi marks.jpeg

Video, too.
https://youtu.be/JuC0P0iTcJg
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Holy S:censored: T! Dwight you have more video listed than NBC! That was Great Thanx Harry https://www.youtube.com/user/bugdewde/videos
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 pm

bugdewde wrote:As for losing life and/or license...... I'd once gotten 11 points within a 6 month period.... enough to get a letter from the DOT/Homeland Security. They WILL evaluate my driving privilege if I exceed 12 points in 12 months. That was a tough 6 months.

Most folks around here learned to drive on these twisties...... there really aren't that many accidents.
As for wildlife, this road rarely sees wildlife, as it's quite steep down to the river..... access to water is much easier in other places, so wildlife typically stays away from here.
As a young teenager, I rode my motorcycle along this road back in the 70s when it was just a chip and tar road. Meeting traffic is rare unless it's around shift change.
It's a great challenge, as it has elevation changes, varying radius curves and even off-camber and banking turns.

There's also a boat access ramp near here that has just been freshly paved. I tested my LSD on it today......... Yep, it works!
Posi marks.jpeg

Video, too.
https://youtu.be/JuC0P0iTcJg

Looks like fun, I need to go find an empty parking lot away from everything, not to easy around here!
avewhtboy

Postby vegastre » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Most folks around here learned to drive on these twisties......

Wish I had a few of those close to me. What a blast and the 5-Speed sounded great winding through the gears. Louder the better. Good job and a sweet ride.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals