1976 Pontiac Sunbird TC

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1976 Pontiac Sunbird TC

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:41 pm

It was beautiful over the weekend in NE Ohio so I went for a cruise. Moves good for a 40 year old all stock V6 at 70mph.

sunbird 2-28-16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 pm

I had a very retro thought today. This is pretty much the exact car I had in high school; both 1976's, both formal window cars, both V6 cars, etc. I had swapped in a 327 chevy in the HS car and I was planning an LS3 swap for this one. My thought was....I actually still have the 327 out of the HS car. It spun a bearing which resulted in me parking the HS car and later selling it. Maybe I'll do an inexpensive rebuild on the 327 and put it back in the car. :shock:
RedFiveKBS

Postby rm617 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 pm

RedFiveKBS wrote:I had a very retro thought today. This is pretty much the exact car I had in high school; both 1976's, both formal window cars, both V6 cars, etc. I had swapped in a 327 chevy in the HS car and I was planning an LS3 swap for this one. My thought was....I actually still have the 327 out of the HS car. It spun a bearing which resulted in me parking the HS car and later selling it. Maybe I'll do an inexpensive rebuild on the 327 and put it back in the car. :shock:

Old School! :th:
Ron
1977 Monza Mirage 20,000 original miles
Featured in Hemming Muscle Machines magazine January 2005 issue.
rm617

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Collecting parts to transition to manual steering. The HS car had manual steering because the cylinder heads I used didn't have any accessory mounting holes. Back then it was easier and cheaper to just swap it to manual. I have the gear, I will get the centerlink/drag link from AutoZone, and I am hunting the steering shaft/rod. Anyone have one laying about?
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:25 am

So ready for Spring. It was mid sixties again this weekend so I had to go drive around.

Sunbird 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby SOLSAKS » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 am

pontiac has always had
more interesting body lines
this sunbird front end is a good example
pontiacs had better designed interiors too in my opinion.

NICE CAR - NICE PHOTO
love the amber lamps

I want to steal your tires :evil:

dave in NC
SOLSAKS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 am

SOLSAKS wrote:pontiac has always had
more interesting body lines
this sunbird front end is a good example
pontiacs had better designed interiors too in my opinion.

NICE CAR - NICE PHOTO
love the amber lamps

I want to steal your tires :evil:

dave in NC

Ha! Thanks, Dave!

I am biased as my first car was a 1980 Sunbird quickly followed by a 1976 Sunbird. Had both in High School. I am so grateful to have another.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Found a like new emblem on eBay. Makes it look so much better. Not bad for $7.50. :th:

new emblem.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:51 pm

I am bummed out by this latest finding. I read a post about build sheets so I pulled off the backs of my seats. Nothing there. Then pulled off my kick panels. Nothing there but I could reach inside and pull out some dirt. Vacuumed them out and thought I'd look under the carpet on the driver's side.

Ugh....
floor1.jpg
floor2.jpg

I figured I would find surprises as I starting pulling stuff off but I didn't think the floor was that bad. :bang:

The only plus is that I am now committed to getting this project fully underway. No point in doing little things here and there if the whole car will be coming apart. I will drive it through June 11th at the H-Body meet in Quaker City. Then on Sunday, June 12th, 2016 the project will officially begin.

Pulling all major assemblies; engine/transmission, interior, rear axle, etc. Cut out and replace all bad spots. Pull doors and fenders. Really want to do a rotisserie and make the bottom side nice and clean with all new fuel and brake lines. Completely new rear end and now thinking that I might as well upgrade the 7.5 to at least an 8.5. I don't think I want a nine inch. I may consider a new ladder bar setup with rails. Obviously adding full length frame connectors.

I am at a point in my life where I make a good living. I have wanted to build this car since I lost my high school car about 20 years ago. Might as well build what I want.

Final build in my head is a very stock looking Sunbird on the outside and interior with a factory "looking" LS3 under the hood. Nothing that screams "look at me". Well, except for maybe the rumble of the exhaust.

Just don't tell my wife what I spend on it... :wink:
RedFiveKBS

Postby Badsunbird » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Yep! That's what my car kind of looked like to at first, but turned out to be alot worse!
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza
75 Pontiac Astre GT #00002

"Bigger Than Some & Stronger Than Most"
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby NVEGAR8D » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi , Unfortunately i know all too well what you're going to go through. My build thread shows a lot of the way the cars are assembled since i had to rebuild the same sections. Don't get discouraged.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Badsunbird wrote:Yep! That's what my car kind of looked like to at first, but turned out to be alot worse!

I read your entire thread one night. Very impressive project you have!
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:06 pm

NVEGAR8D wrote:Hi , Unfortunately i know all too well what you're going to go through. My build thread shows a lot of the way the cars are assembled since i had to rebuild the same sections. Don't get discouraged.
nick75vega

What is funny to me is I am REALLY looking forward to tearing it down and rebuilding it from the ground up. I want the project to be done but I know I will have fun (and certain aggravation) during the process. I hope to finish it in 2 years. Ugh...

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time... That's gonna be a lot of bites.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:55 am

In doing my research on my car, I obtained a copy of the original invoice. It was originally shipped to Sedars Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC in Mason City, IA.

I happened to stumble on to an original dealer emblem from Sedars on eBay. I thought it was a cool piece of history for the car.

invoice2.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby zeke » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 am

I like the original dealer emblem idea - very cool! (and lucky) :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals