1976 Skyhawk w/ Astroroof Restoration Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1976 Skyhawk w/ Astroroof Restoration Project

Postby LeeH » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Hello everyone!

I have joined this board because I have a huge H-body project on my hands; a broken down 1976(I believe it is a '76. I need to double-check this.) Buick Skyhawk with an automatic transmission and Astroroof option.

This is a long story so bear with me.
When I was very little, my parents had 3 vehicles. We had a truck, a sedan, and this plum/magenta-colored Skyhawk with an Astroroof. I liked the Skyhawk the best out of the three vehicles.
The Skyhawk had some kind of minor issue, but for whatever reason my dad didn't want to mess around with it despite knowing how to fix it, so he parked it here and it has sat.
And sat.
And sat..
For over 20 years at this point.

When I eyeball the car, the exterior doesn't have anything worse than small bits of surface rust in some places(I am not in one of the states where cars normally rust away to nothing, thankfully!). The frame and all of that doesn't appear to be corroded or rusted out. The interior upholstery is bad of course(The dash and steering wheel and all that stuff looks salvageable-to-good at least.) as I would expect it to be. The outside trims and other pieces are pretty much all there; the louvres for the back window need to be bolted back on but the piece itself is there. The Astroroof has a small leak in its interior trim somewhere in the back; it isn't huge, needs fixing of course but it hasn't poured buckets through.

I'm relatively new to working on cars and I want to learn by stripping this poor neglected car apart as much as I possibly can, fixing/replacing everything and put it back together.
I don't mind that it will take a long, long time to do all of this properly. I understand the scope of it; literally every single thing on it could potentially be completely bad and need work. I'm okay with that.
I want to restore this car because I love it, it deserves better than rotting to nothing and I want to learn how to tear down and fix a car so I don't have to always be in a position where I eternally depend on a mechanic to repair every single thing, or other people to fix stuff like that for me, especially given the fact that I don't have a ton of money on my hands(This is why I have to SLOWLY restore the Skyhawk instead of ordering everything at once and jumping right into it.). I do have access to various tools and other items I would need, other people around who know more about cars than I do to serve as other sets of hands to help out and space to work, so I want to give this a shot.

It seems to me that a good place to begin would be cleaning every single bit of it(outside, inside, whatever can be reached under the hood) and pulling out the bad interior portions.
Once I get into the nitty-gritty I may(Hey, let's be realistic and say PROBABLY, come on, let's not be delusional here! :P ) get down into the engine block and discover the block is ruined somehow; that would change the plan from working with the pre-existing engine into dropping a working engine from a similar car into it.
I'm posting this thread to keep track of the project, and get a sort of gameplan going, brainstorm about it with people who already know a lot about this stuff.

I don't have any pics of the car yet. I will get some soon when I get over this nasty head cold I have! I should have more info about the car then too.
LeeH

Re: 1976 Skyhawk w/ Astroroof Restoration Project

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Welcome to the best H body site on the planet. You will find a ton of good info, helping hands, and knowledge here. Personally I have had my 75 Monza for 41 years (since brand new) so feel free to ask any questions or if you need help with parts I am always willing to do what I can in that regard. Great project you have there, looking forward to the build.....
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Ken Mahoy on here has a very rare (as in the only one ever built) Astroroof Monza. He would probably be able to answer a lot of questions on your car.

He is mahoy78spyder on here.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby LeeH » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome! :) I'm hoping to get some pics of the Skyhawk in the next couple of days.

I did some research on the paint and I feel confused because it was always this odd plum color(I saw it back when it had perfect paint and there are photos of it like that somewhere too)..my Mom would call it magenta, but it's nowhere near that bright or vivid. It's a weird frosty red-ish plum, it has a pink undertone. Too much of the original paint is gone to leave it the way it is but I still wanted to figure out the color in case I want to make it that color again.

When I look at the Buick paint charts for 76, I don't see that plum color, but I did find a 76 or 77 Cadillac paint called Damson Plum Firemist that REALLY REALLY looks like it, and I have some faint memory of my Mom saying something about the paint on the car in the past so maybe she had it re-painted after she bought it? Or did Buick have a stock plum color I'm not aware of? I'd love some insight!
LeeH

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 am

I do remember a plum color, not sure of its actual name or code.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby LeeH » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

I asked my Mom about that and she says when the car was new, it was a special order from a daughter of a dealership owner and the daughter had the car painted some special color when it was ordered; I showed her the 76 Buick paint chart and she said it's not on there, and she believes the color had the term "Gold dust" in it.
LeeH

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 pm

RedFiveKBS

Postby LeeH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm

So the numbers listed there are production numbers for the model years with Astroroofs? It looks like there weren't many of those made!

Mine still has the Targa band too, it is still attached with the little Skyhawk decals on each end.
LeeH

Postby LeeH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Okay, I just discovered another interesting thing about the Skyhawk: she appears(I only say appears because I could be wrong, I am obviously not an expert and am just doing visual comparisons here haha) to have the Monza "C" sport-style plastic finned wheel covers with the steel center piece, but with a Buick badge on each rim instead of a Chevy badge.

My mom keeps insisting that this car was ordered as a showroom piece when it was first made and I'm inclined to believe her the more I look at it, haha.
LeeH

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Welcome aboard Lee! Here is a link to another SkyHawk's build thread and he painted his a somewhere between, plum and maroon colour with metallic, and I seen this car at Quaker City last year and the colour really suited his build and it photographs really well as well. Here is a link to his "Project Journal" viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38027 and a link to the finished car. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38027&start=60 You will be happy with that colour I think. Harry
JoeHawk90.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

LeeH wrote:So the numbers listed there are production numbers for the model years with Astroroofs? It looks like there weren't many of those made!

Mine still has the Targa band too, it is still attached with the little Skyhawk decals on each end.

Yep. It is a pretty rare option. I can only imagine a very few are actually still around due to them being broken and/or rusted away. Ask Ken Mahoy about finding a replacement glass for the roof.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 pm

We need some pictures of this thing!! :D
RedFiveKBS

Postby LeeH » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 am

Monza Harry, that color is similar to the color the car was originally, it just had a slightly more warm-ish tone to it! Very very alike though, well worth checking that paint color out.

RedFiveKBS, I'll be trying to get some pics in the next few days if the weather here will stop raining-I will warn everyone though while the car still has all the cool stuff on her, she does look pretty gnarly from being exposed to the elements; it's gonna be a big before and after whenever I get to the after part. haha.
Thankfully, the glass on the astroroof, windows, mirrors and windshield are all good, not even scratched up, so I don't need any replacement glass right now..I am sure I will end up needing it someday though since most of the top is glass, it can't stay perfect forever! :) The leak on the interior isn't a crack thankfully, it looks to be some trim that has gone bad.
LeeH

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Lee that roof glass isn't removable at all I am told, it is a structural part of the car, and replacement means a roof R&R, [from a doner in better condition] not for the timid for sure. You have to hope for rust [can you believe that!]. Z-Type's car's paint looks a little different in person, hard for someone like me to explain, just not something I have done much of, successfully. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby LeeH » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:20 pm

That is good info to know, and makes me doubly glad the glass is still in stellar shape, WHEW. The interior leaks are clearly coming from trim that has gone awry that can be replaced, but if the glass was broken I'd be outta luck cause I definitely don't have the ability from the get-go to be swapping out the entire roof.

Edit: Just to clarify, I know it's the trim and not the glass cause some of the interior trim(I think it's made of rubber?) has visibly separated from the interior roof section in the exact spot as the leak and I checked along the edges of the glass for cracks, looseness and other worrying defects and it feels solid as a rock. I don't know how they made those Astroroofs but it is ungodly tough. Should I be hoping for more rust because it's part of what's keeping it held together so tight? LOL
LeeH

Next

Return to Project Journals