Restoring 1978 Buick Skyhawk in Russia

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Restoring 1978 Buick Skyhawk in Russia

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Glad to see you are making progress. I will be curious to see what you get when the fender arrives....I can't imagine a full fender selling for $11. I suspect it may be a patch panel but we'll see.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:56 am

Wow your really going to town on that car, looking sweet. :th:

AL
dindin

Postby classic_cruiser » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Alex,
I'm a bit late, but welcome!
So how is the project coming along? Hopefully better now that some of the snow must be melting up there by now!

Did you ever get your order for the fender? I'm curious what it turned out to be!

Terry
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby Sunula66 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:48 am

Hello Alexx!!
We are all very curious as to the progress of your Buick!!
The amount of work so far is terrific and you and your friend are doing great work!
The fuel tank turned out very nicely and Hooray, the car is running once again :th: :th:
Can't wait to see the Sky Hawk in it's final stages when it gets ready for the "first flight" with it's new paint...and wings lol. 8)
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Alexxx1966 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:51 am

Hello everybody! The progress since my last post is not so big

1. I bought and received a lot of spares - full front end kit, steering kit (tie rod ends etc), all filters, spark plugs, tune up kit (distributor cap, rotor and wires), new headlights, 8 track stereo, 8 cassette adapter, dash clock, central dash speaker, shifter handle, chrome trim rings for steel rims, front brake pads, front hub bearings and some other parts.

2. Found occasionally and bought locally some parts from engine - two heads, intake with carb, distributor and some small engine bits and pieces - all for $100

3. What stopped me from finishing bodyworks before painting is right fender. Present one was badly repaired after accident and turned to be 1 cm shorter then left one.
As you remember I found one on rockauto for $11 plus $70 shipping cost. Asked forwarder to order it. Forwarder received it and sent to Russia where it was lost at Customs. After a month of searching they received insurance and order it again. I asked them to send me picture when they receive it to their warehouse. They sent me the picture after they received it and I was badly shocked. You can see on pictures below what was stated on rockauto and what was received actually. Ref numbers are the same. So I rejected it. Funny that Rockauto charged $70 for shipping of this box to New York. Forwarder will charge money back from rockauto so I don't suffer any money losses. But the thing is I lost 2 month and still have no fender.

Searching e-bay did not helped a lot. Just two right fenders. One is severely rusted on the bottom and one is overpriced (IMHO of course) Both in Canada

If you have good right fender at reasonable price please let me know.

Not to loose the time more I asked bodyshop guys to start do their best with my current fender

4. This Friday will receive right door glass. Finally ordered it from USA

This is all for now. Will keep you updated!
Alexxx1966

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:59 am

Alexxx1966 wrote:Hello everybody! The progress since my last post is not so big
You can see on pictures below what was stated on Rock Auto and what was received actually. Ref numbers are the same. So I rejected it. Funny that Rock Auto charged $70 for shipping of this box to New York. Image
This is all for now. Will keep you updated!
Alex there is a lot of that going around [happens to me non-stop] wish I could laugh :( Is your fender bigger than that? I know it isn't funny, but someone must be blind in that warehouse! Now I want to know what was in that box that was supposed to be a fender, maybe it is folded, or a "Dehydrated" fender just add water(?) Maybe you should have your guy look inside that box. Thanx for keeping us in the loop. And I just re=read the shipping part that was $70 to New York plus you paid [or would have if it was right] for shipping from NY to Russia And I thought it was expensive to live in Canada, WOW that would have hurt the wallet BAD! Thanx for the update. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Alexxx1966 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:08 am

Thank you for your support Harry!
Luckily I did not loose anything except my time (which to be honest is also precious).
I got an agreement with forwarder that I pay him commission but all risks are on his side until I receive fender in Moscow.
So for first "fender" I did not pay him anything because I did not receive it. It was insured so forwarder got everything back from insurance company
For the second "fender" I rejected to pay after seeing photo because it is not fender. It was not even sent to Russia. Forwarder will claim money back from rockauto as description and shipping costs are definitely wrong.
Financially I did not suffer for this 2 month except lost time and pain in the a//

Canadian two fenders are
One is junk
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-1980-Chevr ... ib&vxp=mtr

Another one is having price going through the roof relating to its condition
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-1980-Chevr ... 8d&vxp=mtr
Alexxx1966

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Alex DON'T BUY from him! Or more properly said I wouldn't do it again! He is well known in the fiberglass industry by the buyers. I'll put up some links for who this guy is. Harry Here all in nice spot: https://www.google.ca/search?sitesearch ... jwS5kI_ICQ
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Alexxx1966 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you Harry!
Will not!
Any ideas where to get right side fender?
Alexxx1966

Postby beakerztoyz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Alex

just wondering if your on facebook ? there's a buy and sell group for these cars called H body hooligan's that I'm sure I've seen fender's and such on... I assume a monza fender will work on a skyhawk ? your wanting a passenger side fender?

Also Monza madness is a good group on there as well.

also wondering... how it is that this whole thread is still in the off topic section. If it was in the general discussion section it might get more attention. Maybe you an admin can move it.

good luck T.J.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby starfire » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:40 pm

This guy has a fender for sale just north of Detroit Michigan. It doesn't say if it is a left or right.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/5560683133.html
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Postby Kev442 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 pm

I will look in my stash for a fender this weekend. It would be way cool to send one to Russia as I have sent some parts to Australia already. And Canada, but I can just about throw a rock to Canada!
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby beakerztoyz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 pm

alright it just occured to me after thinking about it, when you say right side fender you mean the right side of the car as your sitting in it looking out the windshield... right? in my last post I asked if you were looking for a passenger side fender thinking that way...... What just occured to me is In Britain and I think some of Europe they drive on the wrong side of the road, which made me realize i honestly have no idea what side of the road you folks in Russia drive on, so my passenger side could be your drivers side.

Sadly while I did get a skyhawk fender in a deal a while back it seems to be the left front fender, (drivers side in north america) I only know it's from a skyhawk because it has a badge on it that says so, I'm fairly certain from your pictures that this isn't the side your looking for but if I'm all confused and it is the side ya need I'd have no issue with parting with it.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby Alexxx1966 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello!
Right side fender means passenger side. Luckily in Russia we are having regular driving like in US with steering wheel normally on the left side of the car.
Yes Monza fender will be all right they are the same.
Anyone can help me in Canada?
Found couple of Monzas there send a request to the seller but he never replied me. He is offering two cars for $200 or best offer. Just to find out if his right fender is in decent condition and could he sell and send one fender alone

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edm ... nFlag=true

Thank you for care and assistance. Will keep you updated on the progress. Any help will be highly appreciated!
Alexxx1966

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:50 am

hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals