FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 pm

The project is off the ground after 35 years. I'll post pics soon. I had an entire story all typed out then the board timed out on me...I'm not typing it all again....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 am

Dang it..... I hate when that happens.
Occasionally hit the "Save Draft" button next to the "Submit" button to avoid that next time.
Sometimes I get a little long winded on a few topics and lose my whole post. ... so I've learned to use the "Save Draft" button on long posts.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 am

When you save a draft...... it puts it in your "user control panel" (top left corner under "Board Index"), where your private messages are..
Once you click on "User Control Panel", look to the left of page for "Manage Drafts" to list your drafts.

Open your draft and continue with post.
"Save" it
Then it will show your drafts listed......
To the right of the draft will be "Load Draft" and "edit/view".
"Load Draft" will open it like a normal post and allow you to post it by hitting "submit" button.
"Edit/View" will allow you to continue on if needed.

This is a very useful tool...... for long posts.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:59 pm

bugdewde wrote: This is a very useful tool...... for long posts.

And slow typer's! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the posting tip, I'll try it. O.K. Here we go...
I got the 74 GT with AC in '79 and drove it for many years. It was all stock and Firethorn color, when in 84, it developed a head gasket issue and we re-sleeved the block added new rings and rod bearings and shaved the block .010 and the head .010, put fresh cam bearings in the head, added the Offenhauser dual-plane intake and a set of Hedman headers.
This woke up the little Vega quite a bit. It developed another oil issue where at a constant 60 to 65mph on the interstate, she would be the envy of any professional mosquito fogger and might have even caused some visual impairment for the traffic behind me, I hope no one wrecked. I never laughed so hard, but I knew this needed to be taken care of, so, we determined that the head was filling up with oil and sucking back through the intake and the cure was simple, replace the valve cover of the 74 L4 with 76 valve cover.
Problem solved (I think). The PCV pickup is located a bit higher and the problem never re-occurred. We replaced the points ignition with high energy distributor and ignition from a 77 vega. Added tilt steering from a Monza. New pressure plate, clutch and TO bearing, Oh, almost forgot, we replaced the automatic in it to a 4-speed Saginaw. Drove it a couple more years and parked it, outside, under an oak tree, and it sat for maybe 2 years. I moved out of state and left it here in Florida where it sat, rusting away in places.
When I returned to Florida, after the back-to-back hurricanes, I went out to check on the Vega where it sat and discovered that all the glass (except the swing-out-quarter glass) had been broken out and the floor and interior was a soggy rusting mess. I knew where there was a junkyard with 12 Vegas sitting in it, so I had access to glass. I moved once again to a different location in Florida and had the Vega towed once again, awaiting the day I might be financially flush enough to restore her.
I met a mechanic looking for work who had experience with welding of which I had none and he had build roundy round racers and knew how to work sheet metal. After purchasing more tools and a large air compressor and sandblaster and big canopy to work under, the project was ready to begin after over 35 years of waiting.
So far, we removed both firewalls to use the one with AC, the evap coil looked virgin as well as the heater core., found the Cosworth brain box and sold it which recouped half of the investment the same day I found it, gutted both interiors, renewed all of the interior plastic pieces, waterproofed and rustproofed all of the windshield cowling areas including the kick vent areas with spray in truck bed liner, prepped the windshield channel (no rust there anyway), prepped the hatchback and hinges, welded in replacement front floor pans after adding steel plate reinforcement to that area, (back were ok), ordered the camero battery tray.
The list goes on and on, the more we get into it, the more we see has to be done. (This is my first restoration project).
The motor, is on a stand and the next thing for that is to remove the carb, intake, and headers so that I can sandblast the headers and send them out for ceramic coating as there are no new ones available unless I have someone refabricate the ones I have now.
The radiator core support will need to be re-fabricated as none of the ones at the junkyard with 12 vegas are useable. I made a trip out to that junkyard, it had been almost 16 years since I had been out there, all of the vegas are in worse shape now than they were 16 years ago. None of his hoods were any good. I did spot a Spirit of America Vega and a Nova out there, but, you would have to want them pretty badly to stike a deal on em. The poor guy that owns the junkyard is very excentric and will not use the internet to find buyers for his cars. There was a treasure trove of vintage chrome and nose clips from cars like Bonnevilles, and Galaxy500's, and GTO's, Novas, El Camino's, Ranchero's, Pacers, Grimlins, on and on...The one H-Body car he had with a good radiator core support, he wouldn't sell unless he sold the whole car...I passed.
I hope to post progress pictures and will find out more on how to do that as I get more familiar with this board.
I have read posts here for many years before signing on, and I want to thank all of the contributors of their experiences and technical knowledge for sharing.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:33 am

We searched a junk yard today for a 93-95 4.3Litre, TBI V-6 motor and found 4 of them, two had been opened and left to ruin and two were tucked away in Astrovans, The 95, had the front end off already. 200 bucks, I'm all over it. Not one H-body vehicle in the entire yard. They're rarer than I imagined they ever would be.
I found a thread that John referred to and have bookmarked and studied it along with its supporting photographs of the setup for swapping out the A/C system. I see what GM did from Gen. 1 to Gen 2 concerning the placement of the evap coil. I also happened to look at a Harrison GM system on a GMC van, a late 80's, and they designed the evap coil parallel to the firewall as opposed to perpendicular to it which saved them tons of room. That particular setup in the van had 2 evap coils. I truly hate to try and re-invent the wheel, where the A/C - V-6 Gen-1 H-Body has been done a hundred times in a hundred different ways. We are looking at using the A/C from a Toyota evap/condenser compressor setup as well . We will have to tie or adapt the blower/evap coil section to the existing stock air plenum.
Fun begins this weekend when we go to the junk yard and pull the V-6 out of the Astro van. I will not enjoy having to put it in my truck bed , haul it home and put it on a stand or hoist....I guess it's better than dropping the Vega off at a custom shop and forking over 20 grand though......Peace 'yall.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Radiator core support is now completed re-inforced stronger than new and all the welds ground smoothe and prepped. Battery box is totally rewelded with new metal, prepped for sealing. We are still intending to mock up the v-6 4.3 vortec with shortie headers after we install the Gen 2, AC/heater boxes which will arrive this week.....Peace out.
74_Vega_GT

Postby johnk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 pm

:th: Pictures Please :)
John K
johnk

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:43 am

I just re-read how to post the pics. I was under the impression that you had to have an off-site place and link to the pics, but I see I was mistaken. The write ups on some of the project journals are expertly written with astoundingly detailed pics. I know mine won't be as detailed as some, and most of what I would take a pic of, has already been documented by other members years ago.
So, we went to my boneyard yesterday and found a 77 Monza and a 79 Sunbird, both with the correct Gen.2 air conditioning setup for under the dash evap coil as opposed to the engine bay evap. coil. We got all of the ductwork and vents, which I intend on insulating before installing and all of the control sub-harness wiring. I noticed in the Sunbird a short metal brace that they used on both sides for extra support that neither the 74 vega or the 75 cosworth has. In the wheel well of the cosworth, I have also noticed an extra metal brace that they used as well that were gonna keep.
We haven't gotten to swapping the front suspension parts yet, but I understand that they are not identical from the 74 GT to the 75 Cosworth. I have noticed what appear to be aluminum control arm bushings in the control arms off of the Cosworth and on the lower control arms from the Cosworth to have a small welded support near where the sway bar attaches. I only have the sway bar from the 74GT and understand that the Cosworth is thicker in diameter. My biggest question is, do I go with the 74GT front suspension in the 75 Cosworth chassis or use all of the 75 suspension parts that came off of the Cosworth with the exception of the sway bar and use the 74GT sway bar? I did notice yesterday in the junkyard that the 79 Sunbird body has the thicker sway bar in it. Should I go back and get that one ? Is it the same sway bar that that Cosworth used? Thank you in advance.
74_Vega_GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:09 am

The Cosworth used the same front bar as the 74GT but the 75 CV rear bar is a 1/16 thicker. If you measured a larger front bar on the CV it was changed from stock which would not be uncommon, many were changed. With the added weight of the 4.3 engine the larger front bar from the Sunbird should help handling. It sounds like the Cosworth must have been used for some type of performance driving because of the addition of the aluminum bushings, stock it has the same rubber pieces of other h-bodies.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:11 am

By the way, note that when posting pictures you will be limited to 256KB size. You will probably need to reduce your pictures to post.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:57 pm

With your bar choice you may, if they are cheap enough or you have them, want to hold onto/acquire them until the car is done as the sway bar diameter isn't always "Bigger is Better" they can be an invaluable tuning resource. You swap them around until you get the handling that suits your driving style/comfort. I prefer neutral to slight oversteer. but that is what works for me, you will know when you hit your balance point, and that may change with time, you are also adjusting according to lots of factors, tire width front and back and differences in rubber compound altered C of G [centre of gravity] you will be changing engines and or engine families [LS, etc.] removing weight , like high heavy things heads to aluminum, as well as intake [maybe even composite] these will change things a little from where you start. Things to keep in mind. I have for my [unfinished car] 1 1/8" aftermarket and a 1 1/16' OEM front a 1" aftermarket and an OEM 3/4" for the rear and still "sorta" looking to see what I may find at a good price but with these the others are a low priority. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks Harry, I will be referring to your post again when I get to the front end suspension. I have some pics to post, I cut the file sizes down to 256k or under one at a time in Photoshop. I don't want my thread to be an endless string of photos without captions explaining what is going on. I did separate the MANY pictures into folders such as..Project Begin, Door Before, Floorpans and Firewall, Engine Bay, Radiator Core Support, Frame related repairs, Quarter Glass repairs, etc....Before I post a lot of pics here in this thread, is there a way to simply add those folders somewhere in a personal garage here on the forum? Thanks

PS...here's one to start...This was taken 35 or more years ago when I was doing some rest on it waay back when...when I was 50 pounds lighter for sure..LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks Harry, I will be referring to your post again when I get to the front end suspension. I have some pics to post, I cut the file sizes down to 256k or under one at a time in Photoshop. I don't want my thread to be an endless string of photos without captions explaining what is going on. I did separate the MANY pictures into folders such as..Project Begin, Door Before, Floorpans and Firewall, Engine Bay, Radiator Core Support, Frame related repairs, Quarter Glass repairs, etc....Before I post a lot of pics here in this thread, is there a way to simply add those folders somewhere in a personal garage here on the forum? Thanks

PS...here's one to start...This was taken 35 or more years ago when I was doing some rest on it waay back when...when I was 50 pounds lighter for sure..LOL
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:42 am

Before Project-2.jpeg

Update:- were setting up an AC unit out of a 79 Sunbird. fun fun..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Next

Return to Project Journals