FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm

classic_cruiser wrote:I do remember the eaten cassette tapes and seeing pieces of tape beside the road! Boy that brings back memories...

Pioneer Commercials "Feed Me More Tape" I still laugh when I think of that one! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

~ While I was at the junkyard, I spotted a couple of Vegas that need serious restoration that I wanted to share. He doesn't advertise them and there are several more deeper into his overgrown boneyard along with several Monzas. Sad to see them continue to rot away. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:35 am

~Dodged the hurricane bullet~ Replaced and soldered ALL/EVERY bulb socket in the rear harness and in the front engine bay harness. There was no nice way to clean the socket terminals plus they were 44 years old and I didn't want any surprises.
~ Sorting out the engine wiring harness and replacing the alternator(2 wire) plug with one compatible to the TuffStuff alternator(4pin all same size) terminals. Fun-NOT!
~ Officially mounted the carb and set the air cleaner height, had to trim off an inch from the air cleaner bottom lip so it could sit a little lower.
~ Trimmed the new accelerator cable firewall plug to fit the square hole and discovered it to be too long. I will need to modify the length after we get a bracket to hold the cable and re-attach the crimped end. - More FUN!
~ The braided fuel line is ready to attach but the plumbing is undecided.
~ The exhaust turndowns are in production.
Bad news is that the radio issue is still unsolved so the cluster is still on the bench. I see what they did in the Sunbird and Safari V6, with air...they reshaped the carrier to accomodate the plenum so the standard "huge" Delco radio would fit. Looks as though the RetroSound unit at 300 bucks is the way out of this pickle....Peace
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 am

Sounds like you have a cs130d, L goes to small wire for light in dash and S goes to battery positive. P & F not needed.

Paid about 300 usd for my Retrosound Hermosa on Amazon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 pm

The original alternator was a Delco-Remy 10si. The car does have the ALT idiot light. The replacement alternator is the chromed 125 AMP Tuff Stuff 8206NA. Their tech. support info differs from your info in that "S" and "F" are used and "L" and "P" are not. They brought my attention to a threaded hole on the back of the alternator and advised to attach a ground strap to it and to ground.
~ Classic Sound radio should be here today, one inch shorter than the Delco. If it doesn't allow the dash cluster to fit and bangs into the Sunbird ductwork, I may have to use a heat gun on it and massage it a bit. We'll see.

~~EDIT- Upon closer inspection, The 74 gt did NOT have the idiot light for the alternator. It had the amp gauge which has been replaced with a 75 volt gauge. Sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:16 pm

F is for exciting alt with switched 12 volts and L is for exciting alt thru a lamp. :wink:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:24 am

~Speedo cable is connected down below and insulated with heat shielding sleeve, firewall grommet is at National Parts Depot for 3 bucks.
~ E-fan T-stat - Had to remove the e-fan to mount the sensing bulb for the adjustable thermostat and route the tiny tube between the e-fan and radiator on the drivers side, near where the charcoal cannister used to be. (more wiring-uggh!).
~ Throttle bracket with double return springs is ordered and in transit.
~ Franken-Mod - 03 VW Jetta power distribution block is ordered. It should handle the extra circuits that we will be adding such as the power seats and e-fan. We intend to make the stock single terminal power block into a (-) Negative terminal.
~ Radio issue was solved with a Retro-Sound Laguna 2 with Bluetooth, hands-free telephone, USB, AUX. I am only going to run 2 JBL 6 x 9's in the rear. They are 8ohms each, the radio is rated at 4ohms-25 watts per x 4. I wonder if this means that the 8ohm speakers are only going to get a max of 12.5 watts each resulting in the need for an aux.amplyfier.
~ Hidden powered antenna is to be mounted under the dash where the single front speaker was originally located.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 am

Lately I have been dealing with circuits such as, theft deterrent system..buzzer when key is left in ignition, wired into the dome light circuit.
~ The seat belt interlock circuit which I think may be the mysterious unidentifyable wires under the dash coming off the dash harness towards the center.
~ Neutral safety circuit which I think was jumpered out when the car went from an automatic to a 4 sp.
I have learned that the idle solenoid circuit on a car with air conditioning and a 4 sp. disconnects when the clutch is depressed so that the rpm's will drop to facilitate smoother shifting.
I hope the reverse lights work when we try them out. It's switch is under the car at the shifting linkage of which has new bushings and has been adjusted already.
~ Dealing with seats- the 2 electric leather ones that I repurposed from a Toyota are NOT going to work, I would have had to change the seat belts which I already had restored anyway, so, since I already had the back seat repaired, (perforated black Cosw. material), I will probable have the original Cosw. seats recovered to match the back. Oh, custom of course with a chevy bowtie and the word Vega embroidered into it.
~ I am wondering if even though this car never had rear window defrost, if the harness had the wiring anyway and may be part of the reason I can't identify a couple of the wires.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:47 am

~ Return spring bracketing without kickdown mount for the Edelbrock carb and throttle cable shortening is almost complete. I just got the Dorman 03336 cable stops to allow me to shorten the cable at the pedal end. The sheathing had to be shortened and grommet secured on the carb side. The bracket was originally designed for a square grommet which was replaced by a tackwelded washer with a cut to catch the grooves of the rubber round grommet.
~ Hard line fuel line is now connected to the stainless braided flex fuel line with an -6AN fitting and secured to the firewall temprarily to mark the next cut for the fittings needed to plumb it with a pressure gauge and filter to the carb. I say temporarily, because those AN fittings are a B*tch to deal with and we will do that on the bench, not under the car.
~ The VW Jetta power distribution block (5 buks junkyard) has been outfitted with a longer heavy cable for the battery and a mount has been fabricated for it. It has a nice accessible hinged cover to access fuses for the additional circuits we added and will mount on the passenger side fenderwell behind the stock coolant recovery bottle.
~ The E-fan came out of a Dodge Neon. NO FORD PARTS !...so far..Peace
>
>
P.S> Front air dam needs to come back off for more work, must have mounted it under pressure, the plastic valance cracked again where it mates to the fender. Too bad the Vega plastic lower valance and the fiberglass air dam are not one piece...
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Couple of pics I shot after mounting the coolant overflow tank..( a little high?) had to run a power cable under it. Mounted the power distribution block.
~ the banjo fitting for the Edelbrock was modified by cutting out approx. 3 inches of length and reclocking the pressure port fitting so that it faced the passenger side when mounting from the reverse. The Edelbrock banjo fitting is set up to feed from the front of the engine. In my case, I'm feeding from the rear. Had an old guy with a nasty welding shop TIG it up for me - 25 bucks. I polished it out.
~ just mounted the twin horn today - driver side to the left of the radiator close to where it was originally.
~ had to remount the e-fan thermostat sensing bulb because it wasn't secure..remove the fan to get to it..re-install it.....git-er-dun...
~ Too soon to advertise for --- Planning a Vacation in Florida? GM H-Body Expert Needed for Vega Project in exchange for FREE room and board...I don't think it's cold enough up there yet.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:05 am

CLICK!..Goes another year, Best Holiday Wishes To ALL!.
~ Tidyied up some wiring, adding looms and finally wiring up the starter. I've been studying Zeke's excellent descriptions of the fan circuit for AC H-Bodies. Put a battery on charge to prepare for testing out some circuits. I am a little uncertain which wire to connect to the electric choke on the carb. I thought about robbing a lead from the low speed fan circuit, which is always hot but, am unsure at this point. Dash assembly is just about ready to be installed. Concerning ride height, I will be looking into the lowered s-10 spindles soon, I think we installed stock s-10 spindles....Good weather today and Jon is available till Jan, 2nd...Gonna see what we can accomplish this week....Peace yall
74_Vega_GT

Postby zeke » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Engine bay looking great :th:

Best way is to power the electric choke thru an oil pressure switch so it only operates if the engine is running. You can pull power from the spare ignition terminal on the fuse block or tap in somewhere and add a 10 amp inline fuse. Use at least 12 gauge wire.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:08 pm

zeke wrote:Engine bay looking great :th:
You can pull power from the spare ignition terminal on the fuse block or tap in somewhere and add a 10 amp inline fuse. Use at least 12 gauge wire.

Thanks Chris that's what we did, HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!
~~Progressing towards start up day. The car WILL be finished this year, hopefully before July, but I aint makin no bets. Here are a few more photos of our work. The manifold turndowns for temporary exhaust are the the biggest hurdle at this point. We should be installing a battery to test circuits very soon. I will be boning up on start up prep soon. Motor was built 5 years ago.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:57 am

~I used a burgundy ScotchBrite pad to clean up the stock coolant recovery tank and mounted it with stainless braided hose cover. Learned that the little snorkle in the tank is very important and not to overlook it.
~ Cleaned up the windshield washer fluid reservoir tank also. New caps for both can be found at National Parts Depot.
~ Converted the charcoal canister into a vacuum reservoir by emptying and cleaning it first, then sealing the bottom with epoxy and a plastic Bondo lid. Mounted it close to where it was originally mounted behind the driver side light bucket leaving a tight fit for the washer reservoir.
~ Ran a braided vacuum line from the PCV to the front of the carb.
~ We will be running a copper line into the cabin for the oil pressure gauge which will be mounted with the LED fog light switch and a USB charging port to an add on plate at the front edge of the Monza center console.
~Re-squirted Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder last week and obtained some Zinc additive in preparation for motor start up day. Bought a battery a pair of nice gold colored double battery terminal ends.
~ I expect to pressurise the oil pump with a drill attachment and roll the crankshaft manually a couple of revolutions next week.
~ New LED's are on the way for parking bulbs, license bulbs, reverse light bulbs, brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs.
~~....and we're still not in paint yet....and the dash isn't in, and the exhaust manifold turndowns haven't been finalized yet....and the seat rails haven't been adapted to the replacement seats....on and on...
74_Vega_GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Nice work, looks great.

Dick