FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Forgot to mention a dreadful discovery. It seems as though the drivers Cosworth door and the 74 GT passenger door are different in respect to the amount of protrusion at the window sweep edge where the trim mounts by about 1/4 inch. I guess this explains why they asked when I ordered the sweeps, did it have the chrome trim strip in that area or not. Now both doors have been prepped for paint and I know the sweeps I ordered were for the trim type. One more thing to sort out I guess.. Yes, I have both other doors, but, when we decided which two to go with we picked according to the condition having no idea they were different. Yikes.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Trim the sweeps, skip the lower window trim. Rolled it into the bay set for the Vega and are currently trying to mock up the motor. There are issues with the BG mounts not lining up, We cut the external slave cyl mount from the bellhousing and smoothed it nicely. So, did I miss somewhere in a thread that the stock transmission mount was NOT going to work with this application of the V6 vortec? We're about three inches from having the BG mounts line up with the holes. We had intended to use the stock drive shaft (newly redone) and the torque arm (unmodified). Uhhh...Houston, ...we have a problem..
Haven't quite figured out how to configure the ACE transmission adapter as the illustration is a bit vague and there is no photo of the installation. So, if the transmission mounts in a different place than original, the torque arm and drive shaft and the shifter arms will all have to be modified?...Is this true?
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 am

These pics were not correct. Using the original trans mount for the saginaw4-sp. Moved BG mounts forward approx 2 in..we will use one thick spacer plate from the 74 GT mount. This is a 74 GT firewall that we mounted into the 75 Cos. Didn't I read somewhere that this is the large opening to acommodate the Wankel on this firewall?
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am

more....these were bad pics..and wrong as well..
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:49 am

replacing these pics...sorry..
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 am

I need to revisit and remove the bad pic i see..right now i gotta go help my bro take out the ill fitting motor...
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 am

How do the V6 headers fit ?
I would position the motor where the headers fit best, then make or modify the motor mounts,oil pan and trans crossmember as needed.

For the bellhousing use a V8 Monza setup, it uses a 10.5" clutch and the same cable type fork as your Vega but it bolts to a 4.3 V6 or a small block Chevy V8.
this allows you to reuse the stock Vega clutch pedal and cable linkage.
Truck bellhousings usually use 11" clutches so they take up more room at the firewall and the do not use the cable fork linkage.
Most Vega engine swaps will require some firewall massaging with a large hammer for bellhousing area.
zerks can be removed after greasing or newer style inner tie rods have the zerks facing the rear of the car instead of towards the oil pan if you are replacing them.
after you clearance the firewall jack up the trans tailshaft as far as possible and recheck the oil pan clearance, you may still need a modified steel pan.
https://kevkoracing.com/collections/4-3 ... -3l-v6-pan Kevco Racing makes 4.3 pans for one or two piece rear main seal blocks but you would have to call them for a V6 Vega pan.

It looks like the engine needs to go back
have you tried the mounts with the trans and bellhousing removed ?

and there are 2 different heights for factory rubber mounts on a 4.3
Smiley

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks Smiley, I'll show my mechanic tomorrow thise images. We are not using a cable clutch, we are using a hydraulic throw out bearing.
~..So, using the stock trans mount put the motor forward about 2 inches. This will keep from having to cut the drive shaft(its new stock), or the shifter linkages, or the torque arm. The BG mounts will need a plate to the frame mount redrilled , fabricated and welded. We will use the ones from the 74 GT. The Sanderson shorties will probably NOT work. All 3 pipes on the drivers side are inline with the steering shaft. (Who said these would work?) The header dumps in a nice place, but it wont work. The passenger side header dumps out right at the started solenoid and its not going to work. A stock exhaust manifold off of the 89 vortec from the Astro Van will work on the passenger side. We are looking for a drivers side stock exhaust manifold that dumps like the passenger side.
~ We modified the steel pan off of the 89 Vortec so the holes would line up to the 99 vortec and modified the pan gasket...Does Not contact the steering tie rod end. The oil pan hangs lower than the crossmember, so we will fabricate a steel plate like you see on toyota trucks to shield the pan.
~ .trouble in PhotoShop.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 am

With your motor slightly forward you might try a 94-96 S10 Blazer or Bravada driver side manifold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-S10-BLAZER ... sx&vxp=mtr

Smiley

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:24 am

Just got back from the bone yard...a 99 s10 Xtreme exhaust manifold works great.
We just fit it...the bung on the drivers side manifold for EGR will have to be cut off and plated or welded up, but its gonna lay closer to the vortec head and avoid the steering shaft. The passenger side will work as is.
Now, I must box up the Sanderson Shorties and prepare for a return or swap for a nice Edelbrock carb. They looked nice, but will not work in the stock 75 engine bay.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm

The stock drivers side exhaust manifold , where the flange bolts on had to be trimmed a bit and we WILL have to "massage" a dent down low in the control arm support closest to the firewall for just a skoshie more clearance for the exhaust flange mount. Using the thick frame mount plates off of the 74 GT with the spacer, because it has the holes already drilled in the proper place with the nut welded where it belongs, we will use thick box steel angled to an "S or a "Z" and fabricate mounts using the "monza V8" mount portion of the BG mount kit. We will not be using the box portion of his mount kit.
IF we were installing a V8, we would have needed them as well as the ACE tranny kit. Since we do not want to cut the drive shaft or the shifter linkages or modify our finished 75 firewall, and cut the torque arm bar, we have no use for them. There were leftover trailing arm bushing steel inserts that we will be using in our V6 motor mount fabrication.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 pm

~~Shift linkages vinegar soaked 3 weeks, came out like new, coated and painted, rebuilt complete 4 speed shifter and refreshed surfaces. Engine has correct flywheel, clutch, hydraulic throw-out bearing installed with the transmission mated and ready to install. Stock exhaust manifolds got the white vinegar treatment along with the flanges and all came out renewed and painted with high temp GOLD...lol. Wiper arms are renewed and installed ready to mount the wiper washer motor all freshly painted with new grommets...thanks Clyde.... Air conditioner evap box and all associated ducting is insulwrapped in foil thermal stuff. A/C controls are renewed and functions painted silver.
The 77Sunbird defrost ductwork doesnt quite fit, as nice as the 74 or 75Vega ductwork did at the vent so, we will have to make a flex boot of some sort. Excluding HURRICANE delays, we should have the motor and tranny in its permanent setting with new shiny bolts along with the drive shaft, torque arm bar and front sway bar and Xmember..within 5 days of work. The emergency brake and cabling has to be dealt with soon also.
More soon...Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 pm

~~..Motor is now mounted along with the transmission (could be a 1/4 inch lower and still not hit the steering, but).. , drive shaft, the torque arm which we had to elongate the holes some on the tranny side of the mount to get it to fit exactly in line with the drive shaft. The shifter is connected, but has to come back out ...one of the shifter plates got reversed during reassembly..
Instrument cluster time is just around the corner. Thinking about digital LCD using the stock cluster bezel. I suppose I need to be thinking about a stock looking modern CD player and rear speakers to fit the holes someone was nice enough to carve out of the interior panels before I got her.. I hear that NPD parts depot has them.
~~..more after Hurricane Irene passes....hopefully..lol...Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:07 am

Hurricane is gone, drive shaft and torque arm are installed. Shift linkages are cleaned up and being adjusted for smooth operation. Intake is mounted, new Edelbrock 500 with braided lines are ordered and on the way with a new high torque starter. Exhaust manifolds are mounted , steering shaft is reconditioned, painted and installed. Not sure what we will work on Monday. We still have the hatchback and the hood to do, theyre untouched so far. I would sure love some new seat belts for the front seats. Once they're done, I can start on the headliner. Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Converting the 74 dash area to the 77 Sunbird AC is looking more and more like a tricky thing concerning the ductwork. The sunbird ducts are nearly half the size in diameter as the ducts that feed the vents in the 74 GT dash. Since there was no far left and far right vents in the 74, but much larger lap area vents in the 74 than the 77, we are met with mod decisions. The plastic defrost duct is insul-wrapped and mounted.
The two center ducts are gone for a few days while the walnut pattern is being printed and installed onto the cluster bezel face as vehicle wrap material. When I get it back completed, it then ships out for LED gauges. The new 500Edelbrock is in but not installed.
Since I will use one 74 door and one 75 Cos door, that didnt have the lower window trim on it,(one is thick, one is thin) I will leave the trim at the swing out quarter glass and the lower window trim OFF of the car and just use the upper. But if it becomes an issue, I will probably fix one of the other two doors and use it so they will be the same...
So we spend a lot of time looking for and prepping stuff like overflow bottles and washer bottles, hunting aro und for the winshield washer spray nozzles and the hardware that mounts it, new hose....hooking up the wiper arms to the freshened pump and motor...still have to mount seat rails for the electric seats. I oughtta recover the Cos. seats and use them.
~~ So what do we do when the project is complete with all the leftover parts??? Spare this, spare that. Fix and store for future use or sell. What happens if I need one of those spare doors or fenders?... I'm playing this by ear.
Peace
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals