FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I have a plan ([s], 2 1/2 actually, yes that half plan is scary for me) for some parts that I will want with wood grain on them, so, if you could be convinced to share details on your process ( or your outsource if that is what you are doing) that would maybe remove some of my apprehension. I am sure many here would be interested in that! I feel your confusion with the left over/extra/less than perfect parts, seems selling some of this is tough and we all know that "I just got rid of one of those" scenario's, but space to finish and or use the project is being occupied by "Parts". So, if you come up with a foolproof plan please share, this winter I am afraid I am going on a "Trash It" spree I have been holding onto some parts for more than 30 years ,but time and space have reached their intersection of somethings gotta give. Glad to see you are staying at it with your project and after a quick glance back that is going to have some good "POP"! That Red/Burgundy colour sure looks good, I am also reminded that you were doing a dash recover, any updates? :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 am

Time and space..Good things to ponder. I've been saying that when the Vega is done, I'll be looking to relocate..it's the only thing keeping me here. I'll need a car carrier to move the "fleet".
~~ So, the 77 Sunbird ducting in the 74 Vega GT..is OUT, Bad idea..We picked up some nice vents out of a vega wagon that the louvers function on...by the way...There is a 75 or 76 Monza in the bone yard with the louvers on the quarter glass that I looked at and wondered what it would look like on the Vega...I passed..I've seen folks here in the forum looking for them in the past.
~Picked up the V6 bracketing , stock, aluminum, to mount the AC compressor and the alternator on. We cut the bracket, smoothed and polished it where the power steering part was...My Vega will have manual steering so I don't need it...Picked up a remote oil filter mount for the V6...needs hoses made up. The hurricane brought down a tree at the bone yard that lays right across the vega with the perfect headliner in it. A chainsaw would be required on a trip to remove it intact.
~~ We begin on the hatchback lid this week..followed by the hood. The hatchback lid, that I drove halfway across the state to obtain will need to be opened up, rust treated, some welding of replacement metal..it's gonna be solid when we're done with it. ...Doesn't look like the Vega will be done by Christmas though.. We're plugging away at it.
~- Oh, the dash pad recovering you asked about. I used a local family owned business in Ocala,Fl called..Soft Trim. They are doing some nice restoration work and were very fair on the price like 140 or 160 bucks. I picked out a black leather textured, thin modern foam backed material and he did a wonderful job on the corners. The GT strap should mate to it fine. As for the one that I started recovering...I put it aside and it is in a state of..well...it's on hold for now......more later...Jons here, time to go to work on the Vega...Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanx for the updates 74GT! I would like to see pic's of both if you get a chance, the one you put "on hold" will still offer an education to those willing to look and maybe re-think their plans and maybe one of us may offer some "Helpful constructive criticism" There are NO failures just expensive "learning opportunities" and the more expensive the more "you is learnin' " I could buy a house with some of my "learnin' opportunities" So, I don't know why I ain't a Flippin' Genius :oops: :? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 am

~Three days so far on the hatchback lid. The lower part of the glass under the trim was like swiss cheese, the hinge mounts and the support mounts areas were toast....Not now though..We plated across both upper hinges through to the outer skin by drilling a hole and making a "weld rivet" connecting the outer skin to the inner completely across , connecting both hinges. Very strong now..
~ We made a plate with a slot for the support hinge mount that extends 5 inches above and below the support mount and around the lower back hatch glass providing much stronger support for the hatch.
~ grinding those welds and bondoing the seams is next.....Looks like I'll have several hundred dollars in the hatchback....the hood will be next.
~ I made a transition piece of ductwork which connects the 77 Sunbird main AC ductwork to the 74 main dash vent. One end was square and the other was round (oval). Got the cluster bezel back from the print shop...It came out better than new. I picked out a walnut pattern and had a vinyl car wrap sign guy output the walnut at high resolution and cut out the circles for the instruments and affix the wrap. Looks great, ...pics to follow....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm

AC/Heat mod - 74 vega Right Side under glove box vent - when using the 77 Pontiac Sunbird AC ductwork, their right side vents were in the dash, the 74Vega had its AC vent mounted under the glove box requiring a mod to the right (and left) plastic transition piece. The transition piece is where the plastic ductwork meets the flexible cloth covered ductwork that connects to the outlet vent. A downturn that aims back toward the inner firewall will be necessary. The 74 glove box is a deep glove box and will need to be shortened to clear the evaporator casing as well as the vacuum actuator that is mounted to the ductwork. We are welding the plastic with a soldering iron and using epoxy.
We hope to have the hatchback complete and in primer and the fuel tank mounted up this week....We will fit the spoiler to the hatchback lid a little later....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

For this kind of work '74 VGT have you considered starting from scratch? A trip to a model airplane/hobby shop will/(should) net you some real light weight fiberglass material, just about perfect for these type of items. For a mould you could use anything from window screen, Styrofoam, or even Paper-Mache The Styro-foam you paint up after sanding with a low volatility paint, like the waterborne paints that you can clear after your happy with shape and surface finish. If you decide that the black FG screen is your weapon just resin it up and add one layer of the hobby FG] cloth the styro' can be cut out close and a soak in gasoline and should eventually clean it out, Paper Mache well water should sooner or later yield similar results. If you decide to create the outer mould removal by mechanical means will be much easier. PM me for additional details and you can then do a better job then with your pic's for the rest of the world. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey Harry, ...it was fairly simple, and I just got back from the hobby shop..LOL ...I restocked my 6 minute epoxy. I am an RC hobbyist and have a Dremel that I used a cutting wheel to modify their plastic transition boxes (2). I used a 2 inch length of 2 inch PVC and inserted it , epoxied, and left a one inch protrusion to attach a perfectly fitting ..90degree swivel hose fitting from a vacuum cleaner. Works great. With the shortened glove box, the flex hose works around the back side to the vent under the glove box. The glove box was shortened significantly but will allow for the owners manual and proper papers..barely.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Seems as though since the donor was a 74 GT automatic w/AC..that the wiring diagram for the 75 vega seems to be more accurate as far as color coding of the wiring is concerned. The neutral safety on my 74 is actually purple with white, where the 74 schematic shows it as purple only. The 75 schematic shows purple and white for one example.
Hatchback lid is completely restored and in primer..Hood is being wire wheeled around the edges...and...who in the world put hinge pin holes in the hood when our hoods open from the windshield???...We gotta fix them...
Had to cut a notch in the upper left corner of the glove box to clear the vacuum actuator hose connection point. We will have to remove the glove box and unmount the passenger side AC vent to allow for the installation of the renewed kick vents..after the carpet goes in..geez.
Epoxied the broken out plastic screw holes and detailed the Monza console with carbon fiber and silver paint on the high trim edges.
~ I still need a dome light and lens and seat belts for the front.
~ Fuel tank isn't mounted yet and waiting on the filler neck restoration, its galvanized but rusty inside....
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 pm

I purchased a new re-pop one off of eBay and it looks great. Here is one that looks the same in the description: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1981-CAMA ... 07&vxp=mtr I don't remember the sellers name and it is way out of my history [aged out] I searched "Chevrolet Dome light" for this one. Happy hunting and keep us "in the loop" Please Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks Harry, I popped on one for a Camaro at NPD, the base, the lens, and the wiring were separate however. I installed the pigtail yesterday and now the headliner project can begin. Installed new lower control arm rubber bumpers yesterday also. Picked up a new water pump for the '99 Vortec V6 to install and a new pulley (serpentine). We're almost done with the hood, should be finished and in epoxy primer by the end of the day.
~ I read another post about the 4-cyl Tachometer...summarizing that, the Vega tach can NOT be used for this motor? That, there is no jumper to convert it like on the Monza tachs. I looked and didn't see a jumper, so that explains the no jumper. I have the 8,000 rpm tach from the cosw.and the 7000 rpm tach from the GT. I would like to use the 8000 tach if there is a way to make it work for the V6...
~~ STEERING SHAFT WOES... major slop at all connections giving about a 20 degree arc of nothing at the steering wheel...There is barely any clearance at the rubber boot / shield knuckle connection at the steering box between the exhaust manifold and the shield. There is slop at that joint and slop where one shaft slides into another. I am looking for a workaround.....Nice Weather in Florida today...woohoo.....more later...PEACE
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 pm

My light came with the ends for the wire/light cut off the old on with the new, I don't remember the cost but it was more than fair and SHINY! :D There was a thread on here about re-building the "Rag Joints" with some useful info, Clyde and ??? were the font of info on that one. Your Tach can be converted, you can try Tim McCabe and if he can't then there are less cost effective routes like Bob's Speedometer Red Line Gages and others. Bob did my speedo and tach conversion [160MPH 8000 RPM in 8 cyl. he has done piles by his web site] 3 of 4 of my first cars didn't cost as much combined! Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am

I haven't been following this thread but on your steering looseness, have you adjusted the steering box itself?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 am

We opened the steering box up earlier and repacked it with fresh grease I believe and closed it back up and painted it, but we didnt make any adjustments to it. The slop is all in the shaft, partly n the knuckle and partly in the ragjoint (BMW calls this a guibo??, yes?), and the collapsible shaft sections.
~ I did read the thread by Clyde, Harry, I will need to re-read it to gather the specifics as well as the tachometer sorting. Today, I'm going to try to finish the hood and get it into primer. I found the original steering shaft and gearbox out of the Cosw. and intend to see if that knuckle is useable and measure the shaft sections against each other. Any rubber boot down there will probably melt due to the proximity to the exhaust manifold. Maybe a tin heat shield will be in order down there, not sure yet....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:23 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:~issue with steering shaft~ The knuckle and rag joint have excessive play. This is a tube within a tube type, tilt steering out of a 77 Monza..The knuckle is HUGE and almost drags on the stock exhaust manifold of the Vortec v6. The rubber boot is bound to melt. What are my options here? Go with a Japanese knuckle that may be smaller and allow more room between the exhaust and the knuckle? Is there a replacement shaft that most folks are using?...Thanks in advance.

I used a Flaming River joint at the steering box. it is about 1 5/8" O.D. at the largest part and has no rubber boot to melt or crack.

Helix also makes a stainless steel joint with a clamping bolt instead of a set screw for retention.
Smiley

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks again Smiley, the Flaming River joint came in and it looks like it will work fine. Taking the slop out of where the one shaft inserts into the other shaft is what we are on at the moment.
~ Hood is done and in sealer primer and awaiting fittment then paint.
~ Hatchback is done and we have refreshed the hatch hinge pin collars and are preparing the pins. Thanks , Clyde , for the pins. They're very close in size to the Vega pin, a little longer than they need to be. I think we will cut them and thread the end for a nyloc nut. I was surprised to learn that your Monza did not have the sleeves (collar) as part of the hatchback hinge assembly. These sleeves were machined down on one end so as to pene or mushroom the end after it inserts through the hole in the car portion of the hatchback hinge to hold it in and strengthen the hinge.
~ We made a plate to surround the 77 Sunbird A/C controls to make it fit the 74 GT dash. The mixing door cable comes into the control from the opposite side as the 74 mixing door cable. We are going to look for one a bit longer in the boneyard out of a truck so that this cable will have a bit more room to flex as it makes an odd bend under the dash.
~ More later..gotta go help John.
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals