FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby TimMcCabe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

FYI

I Bought a helix, but had to send it back when I did my rack conversion. The helix is 90 deg out of phase with every other u-joint out there. If you do not use 2 helix on the shaft, you can not phase the u joints correctly.

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:48 pm

The Flaming River 36 spline is going to work great allowing for much more clearance between the stock exhaust manifold of the v6 vortec and the shaft universal. Slop is minimal except for the slop (movement) at the new drag link where the pittman arm connects, and its brand new.
~Thanks for the heads up Tim...I will be contacting you for tachometer needs very soon....
~ Wiring woes -- As we are sorting out the engine bay harness wires I had to remember that we had upgraded the 74 ignition to the HEI and got rid of the points system that it came with and scabbed another hot wire for the external fuel pump that replaced the one that died in the tank. We are going to use a power block with a nice plastic cover from an S-10 and get the starter installed and wired up today. I still see the connector for the oil pressure switch with the jumper wire in it on the harness...Not sure what to do about that.
~ We will have to do more body work on the hatch lid since we had to tweak it pretty good to make it fit with the new gasket in place....no biggie.
~ Searching for A/C condenser coil and compressor next...77 Sunbird liquid line receiver dryer and assorted tubing are on the way.
~ Gotta hit the bone yard one last time and get the roof mounted seat belts.....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm

The Air Conditioning Condenser coil is on the way, almost ordered one for an 03 Ford Focus, it might have fit with some custom piping. Found a nice slim puller fan off a Chrysler (Made in USA), but, the nose of the water pump shaft that is designed for the screw on type of fan clutch is barely scrubbing the fan motor, so, I've dropped the water pump off at a machine shop to remove the intrusive 3/4 inch that I need.
Front end nose pieces and headlight bucket housing are being custom fit so that the body panel gaps are the same before it goes to paint. I think I saw a pair of those in the junk yard made of plastic and was surprised. I thought they were all made of cast aluminum.
Soon....the Chris Wheaton front spoiler will be fitted after we find some lights to go into the holes. Yesterday our temp. here was 22 outside, we warmed the shop up to 50 - 60 by the end of the day. Went down to 17 last night here but stayed at 39 in the shop with no heat running.
~ So, we got the two main lifting hydraulic cylinders for the Crossfire Roadster top removed, packaged, and sent off for rebuilding since they are no longer available at 150 each...oops, wrong thread. :D ....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:06 pm

You mentioned plastic headlight buckets; I've never seen 74-75 ones in plastic, always "pot metal"(mostly zinc) but it would be easy to mistake the 76-77 ones if the grill is not in the car, as they are indeed plastic.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:33 am

We mated the lower valance to the Wheaton front spoiler so that it would install as one piece with small rivets and epoxy.
We removed the rubber strip from both front and rear bumpers as well as all bracketing and cleaned all debris to prepare for polishing. First we removed the anodized layer by hand with a drill and red scotchbrite then scratched to a fine silky appearance, then the polishing wheel. We have about 3 days steady in the front bumper, all gouges, scratches and blemishes have been removed and polished out. It looks NEW. We restored the threads of the bolts that hold the rubber belt in place and restored the belting to newlike appearance. The rear bumper begins next week. I am expecting another three days of work to finish it as well. I also have an extra set front and rear aluminum bumpers that I intend to polish and dispose of after we finish the car.
The 8000 Cosworth tach is out for calibration. I have stopped into 3 nail salons to try to find a "painter" to repaint the face of the dial to no avail, so far. I'll keep looking.
I am having problems locating the correct ac compressor to use, the bracketing on the 4.3 vortec is from a 99 Blazer and the bolt holes insert downward. We will be using 6 groove serpentine setup. I am hearing questions as to whether it is a peanut style or a Sanden number to cross reference. I want it to be chrome to match the alternator. I read where 4-seasons has upgraded the strength of their compressors so they will not twist causing leakage at the seal. This is holding up the completion of the AC portion of the project.
We have yet to begin the installation of the new 550 eddie carb to the performer intake and setting up the pressure reg. and filter piping. We have yet to begin exhaust engineering.
1/4 swing out window gasket is in place. I see that the original plastic inner boot portion of that gasket is no longer necessary? That the new gasket may need to be carefully cut all around. I will have to look this operation up here on the forum as I believe there is detailed information concerning this.
Seat belts are holding up the headliner board from being installed. I can't seem to locate a pair for the front. The cantankerous bone yard owner acts like he doesn't want to sell the one nice black non faded pair he has in the yard sitting for 30 years......Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am

~~Went and looked at another Vega project that a dude said he had going on. A 75 hatchback, not a GT, someone wasted their time with a 305 V8 in it with single core stock radiator, stock 4 lug spindles, a 99 rear end out of a Blazer..(won't work). Battery area is toast and there are no frame connectors. He is trying to mount the torque arm to a rear end that never had one. He drilled a lower casting point to install a sleeve for the bolt and wants to tie it in on the other side of the pumpkin... I think he is off in the wrong direction. I asked him if he had ever come to the H-Body Forum and he is Internet Illiterate which explains why his project has a grim outlook. I almost asked him if he was going to carry 2 spares, one 13 inch and one 15 inch...but I didnt.
Should this post be in the Humor section? or the Condolences section?
~~ FRANKENVEGA progress notes-The new 4-seasons upgraded AC compressor is in and being polished with a Dremel. Front and Rear bumpers have been stripped of anodization layer and scuffed and polished. All bumper belting, and all mounting hardware has been renewed and is ready to install. We siliconed the belting bolts so they would never rust again. They look sharp. Now I know why they want so much for this service. We have 3 days of labor in each bumper polishing and about a day in refreshing all the hardware including spring metal. Polished the carraige bolts on the bumper belting. The swing-out quarter glass gasket is in place and will need to be trimmed up for the hinge spots.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 am

Got the speedometer back from the tatoo artist that repainted the lines and numbers. Looks great!
74_Vega_GT

Postby SOLSAKS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm

your project looks great
that red color is one of the best looking colors i have ever seen !

dave in NC :D
SOLSAKS

Postby SOLSAKS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 pm

you may already know this
but there are several companies
who will re-web those belts for you at a reasonable cost.
just send in the whole unit and they will send it back ready to install.

dave in NC :P
SOLSAKS

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks Solsaks, we soaked them in white vinegar to remove the rust and apparently the retract springs were eaten up with corrosion and will need total rebuilding which looks to be a bear, so I'm looking for used replacements for those. On a production note, however...
~ The new AC compressor is now totally hand polished and fit into place not mounted. We wanted to check the clearance at the hood, so we trial fit the hood and looks like there will be plenty of clearance. Not before we installed the reconditioned hood release cable with its fresh hardware so as not to lock ourselves out of the hood compartment. That would have sucked...LOL
~ These will have to be removed when we send it to be painted. The painting is going to take place in two stages or trips to the body shop with the professional booth. The first trip will be to paint the body and panels, no clear. Bring it back home and add the GT striping kit as a mask..Then shoot the mask of the GT stripe with a beautiful Metallic Emerald Black (My '08 Dodge truck color), Then wetsand and send back to the body shop to shoot the clearcoat. The first layer of clear will have a slight amount of pearl and flake, to be covered with 4 coats of pure clear, wetsanded and buff polished. Then we bring it home to install the glass which will have been polished and tinted as well as the polished trim molding.
~ Still a lot to do before this project is complete. Suspension ride height issues will have to be dealt with and any motor issues when we fire her up for the first time since its rebuild 3 years ago. Chevy '99 4.3 Vortec bored .030 over with an RV cam, 550 Eddy carb. Cant wait to see how thats gonna run. Exhaust engineering will have to be dealt with. We haven't decided on which muffler to get till we get to it.
~ I thought about making some sort of video for you folks, but I am no filmographer or narrator, I tried with mixed results to put together photos of the progress of the project but the combined file sizes of most of my photos now totals several MB and didn't want to upload 60 pic files to this server and take up a bunch of space. I don't use PhotoBucket or any of the social media posting places either. I may compile all of the pics into a PDF which always reduces file space and retains resolution of the photos and try to post it in the near future. So, I apologize again for not posting more pics of the project. Peace 'yall
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am

Project is in slow-motion. I am trying to get the AC condenser fittings sorted out so I can button up the front end pieces and get it ready to paint. My AC hose guy wants to run rubber from the condenser inlet and outlet resulting in two fat rubber hoses running through the core support. I am of the idea to run aluminum tubing (like the factory did) through the core support to a fitting just under the battery tray and tie on to them there. With the compressor mounted high on the drivers side on the 4.3 Vortec, there may be a clearance issue once the compressor hoses have been attached. We will not know how to route the refrigerant hoses (heater hoses too) until the carb is mounted and a suitable low profile air cleaner is mounted.
..Still working on the three piece front air dam to smoothe out the seams and make it look as one piece.
...The seat belts came in last week, they seem to be operational and in good shape....found on Craigs-List...saw a guy selling a Vega shell and asked him if the seat belts were available and lucked out....more later...Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 am

Let's see if we sized the pics correctly this time...96dpi - 6in x 6in..took the file size down to just under 256k in PhotoShop..
These are pics of the engine bay as it is presently. I removed the radiator when I was playing with belt lengths to get the correct combination of idler pulley and tensioner pullies. Seems to be nice and tight. I am worried about hood clearance at the compressor fittings and choosing the proper breather air intake setup. The heater hoses have yet to be run, the radiator hoses have yet to be determined, and the fuel line filter setup needs to move forward. Yesterday, I used Marvel Mystery oil to recondition the speedo cable. It will need to be installed before the (new)dash and instrument cluster can be installed. Waiting on the remanufactured AC condenser line to arrive so I can get the grill and lower air dam mounted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Postby dindin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 am

Looks show quality nice !!

Al
dindin

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 pm

74_Vega_GT, Very Nice, your exhaust manifolds, are the painted gold? Looks really cool, just wondering if its a coating or paint and how durable it will be.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Lots of Bling and Shine right there! 8) Looking Sharp! :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals