FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat May 25, 2019 12:18 pm

I want to show how the tachometer and speedometer turned out with some recent pics I took. I got the lower air dam adjusted and the LED lights installed. I added ss braided covers to the heater hoses with shut off valves. We doublechecked all the fittings in stock for the fuel line setup. As the pics indicate, the refrigerant lines for the AC have yet to be completed to the compressor. The adjustable thermostat for the electric fan has yet to be installed. The harnesses have been gone through and are ready to go in. I am expecting the instrument cluster to be complete ready for a new radio this week. I bought 6 x 9 3 ways by...JBL. The covers will cover the ragged jagged hole that was cut into the rear plastic interior by someone before I got it in 79. I had a choice of a set with a ragged hole cut by the rear passenger seat knee area or a set with a ragged hole cut in the rear hatch area. I chose the hatch option set. They cleaned up nice, but dont go in till the carpet goes in...waaay later. Peace yall..Be safe..See somethin say somethin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat May 25, 2019 12:22 pm

A couple more..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:56 pm

How did you redo the gauge faces and, also, get the needles back in the right place?

Really nice work!

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat May 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Hey Dick, It took a call to Mr. Tim McCabe to figure that one out. The pointer on the tach as you know has no stop, so you apply 12 volts and a ground to the terminals that are marked for that...leave the coil terminal blank. The shaft will go to zero and you can place the pointer on in the zero position. The speedo has a stop to find the zero position for the pointer.
The dial faces for both, I recreated in PhotoShop using a phone image to begin the project. I could have used the 75 speedo, but it had the KMH numbers where the 74 gauge did not. The file was output by a local graphics shop that specializes in vinyl car wraps. They used high quality 3M outdoor material and ganged it up with another larger run that they had in production to save me some money. I think I have nearly 80 hours in creating the PDF files and they only charged me around 60 bucks to output the vinyl and apply it. I intend to donate the file to the forum if anyone wants to download it and freshen their gauges. I will have to say, since I have now seen them side by side and in the cluster, I kinda wish I had done all of the gauges as the fuel and voltmeter are looking their age.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Sun May 26, 2019 12:23 am

Nice job on the tach and speedo ! :th:
Smiley

Postby RobR » Sun May 26, 2019 8:47 am

Those gauges look great!
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri May 31, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks, I hope the next set turns out as nice..that set grew legs and walked off my shop bench. Also a sharpened rebar rod for the garage door spring adjustment walked off. No tools were missing, no drills, only the tach and speedo...custom with one of a kind label on the dial. They would only be of use to someone with an Hbody..vega gt dash. So, I dropped off the other speedo face and a 7000 tach for an 8000 face at the graphics shop. I'll have to send it to Tim for calibration when I get it back. I know, I know..the 4.3 vortec aint gonna be turning those kinds of RPMs, but it was the original Cosw. tach to the car and it needed another 8000 face. Now I had the choice of putting an 8000 face on a 7000 tach, or, ...spend hours in PhotoShop redoing the image for a 7000 tach label. I already had the extra 8000 label. The speedo dialface image is of a 120mph speedo and it is going on the original 74 without KMH numbers (74 didnt have them) the 75 speedo (missing) label is covering the kmh numbers. 75 Cos dash has 2 lights each under the speedo and tach. The 74 gt dash has one light under the tach and 2 under the speedo. To make the 75 tach compatible, I had to cut the center post that divides the two lights and sand them smooth before applying the label with the one light hole cut in it. But its gone, grew legs. No, I'm not getting cenile..yet....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:14 am

My replacement 74 points style 4 cyl. tach with new 8000 face shipped off this morning for calibration. Speedo turned out nice also. Thats used up my spare tach and speedo. I keep the shop locked now. Progressing forward, albeit slowly.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:00 am

Cluster is almost completed finally, I think, fuel says temp and temp says fuel and volt gauge says amps, so, before I install it, thats gotta be corrected. The AC control from the 77 has yet to be mounted and I still need to decide on a radio before it all goes into position. Average temp in my shop is 97 degrees..I've been in my music studio, it's cooler in there. My guru mechanic has taken a full time job, and is only available on weekends now.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:53 pm

The cluster is almost complete at this point. Gauges are in, new bulb sockets were soldered in today. It was tricky to find the (almost) perfect sockets. They are made of a softer rubberlike material and have 4 (ears) on them of which, ours only have 2 (ears) to the twist-lock socket. So, with a sharp exacto knife, I trimmed off two of the ears and they fit tight and perfectly. PICS INCLUDED with part NO.s.
There are still a couple of mystery wires and I still need a radio with bluetooth and USB to go with the new JBL's before the cluster mounts up. The AC control panel has been ready to mount to the cluster carrier for some time now.
I am considering energizing the pinouts for the bulbs..installed with anti corrosive gel...to make sure they all work. There are 11 bulbs total. I used 8 made in ...well...you guess.. and 3 made in the USA.
I'm hoping for a completion by xmas, but, I've said that before....Peace 'yall.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm

A couple more...
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:27 am

A few more cluster pics.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am

~Radio dilema is solved, I'll be testing the Delco original AM/FM radio that was original to the car (Cosw.) today after I remove the cover and blow out the cobwebs. At least it is complete with the correct knobs. I looked at the retro classic radios and although they had bluetooth and USB, I can get around that and still have both. I will be installing a "hidden" antenna under the dash since the pigtail on the windshield needs a connector. We will not be installing a center speaker in the dash.
~ I have discovered a yellow relay above the drivers side footwell that is partially disintegrated and will need replacement. We misplaced the door jamb switches, so, I'll be reordering them. Picked up the USB extension that will be mounted to the Monza center console along side the fog light switch.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Radio dilema NOT SOLVED. So, I learned that this Delco is a Mono unit , not Stereo. I also learned that Delco made one for the Cadillac that had AM, FM stereo, 8trk stereo, CB radio. So, I'm still discerning exactly which Stereo Delco AM FM unit I need. I dont need CB or 8trk really.
~ Remember listening to a tape and when the sound began to garble, you knew to yank the tape out quick before the player ATE the tape? Sometimes it was too late...In traffic back then, it was not uncommon to see a 20 foot piece of magnetic tape streaming in the wind beside the roadway from a failed cartridge or player. You knew instantly what it was...LOL.
74_Vega_GT

Postby classic_cruiser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm

There's one of the radios with the 8 track stereo on eBay right now:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233305667616

There are usually a couple on every now and then. Some of the really nice looking ones go for quite a bit. There's also the plain Am fm stereo unit on eBay from a guy in Lebanon pa right now too.

I do remember the eaten cassette tapes and seeing pieces of tape beside the road! Boy that brings back memories...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals