FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks , for the kinds words. The stock manifolds, were painted with high temp paint. I should powder coat them I am sure. I recently have been removing curb rash from the aluminum 89? Blazer n Sonoma wheels. Polishing the faces and prepping the inner portion to match the car color. I heard from the seat belt planet guy and we discussed the level of restoration for those... I am going to have to change the clear overlay cluster bezel. The temp and fuel labels..and amps to volts...more to come...peace.
>Update...High temp paint, nor powder coating would have staed on the manifolds I was told, so, I took them to Orlando and had them Ceramic Coated, silver..
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

The seat belts came in and I am impressed. ** THUMBS UP FOR SEATBELT PLANET dot com.** The AC aluminum re-fabricated lines are in transit on their way here with 134a fitting. I polished the aluminum receiver dryer. Finishing the seamwork on the front air dam (3 piece fiberglass mated to plastic). Significant work should resume on the project in a couple of weeks my guy has been on ...lets call it vacation ..again...
The 140 motor is awaiting refreshing to prep it for sale. I do not intend on parting out the Offie or the Heddman header, it will be sold as a complete motor with the engine stand, thanks.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm

A/C lines are in and duplicated nicely, except for the male end on the condenser side which should have been female.
> Dual Cold Air Intake dilema on the 4.3 vortec 550 Edie. Spectre makes one style with different angles of input. 180, 150, 135 degrees. Models-9834,9854,and 7328. I am considering going this way to avoid any hood clearance issues. Cutting a hole in a perfectly good hood is not an option for this resto-mod. I would imagine that the different angles of input are not for performance but to route the intake air around components.
> Routing the compressor manifold pipes is another dilema. Normally this 4.3 engine is found in the Astrovan, S-10's and Blazers. I have not seen a V6 h-body with A/C to use as a guide yet.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

No, dual cold air isn't in the cards for this car. Single maybe, but let's get her running and painted first. So, the project has picked up again and we have determined that there was no difference in the width of the door skin at the window sweep on the GT models with Ledge reveal molding and ...that we fixed another door without having to...DOOOH!!.. I have an extra passenger door ready for paint now it seems. I am posting a few pics of the progress as she stands now. I found a perfect coolant recovery bottle in the junk yard this weekend. That should be my last trip there. Found a nice repairable vega hood 74 that I had not seen before. I dont need it though, so I left it to continue weathering away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm

The hatchback repair pic is Photoshopped to show where the reinforcements were welded in place under the top skin for stability.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:24 pm

A couple more--
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Trimmed out the Steele quarter glass gasket for swing out today. After a couple of trial fits and a little bit of sanding with emory cloth, the gasket took shape nicely. There was an oops on the other side when the exacto slipped into the thin edge that you must leave at the bottom edge. The repair looks a bit cheesy, so, I tried to get a single ordered and they were reluctant to break up a pair. Oh, by the way, on the inner side of the ORIGINAL quarter gasket, they had a plastic piece that the gasket fit into then the plastic actually held it to the window frame edge, you will not need this plastic inner piece when reinstalling the (different) Steele gasket. So I had read somewhere about Steele not having a swing out template to go by to be able to offer both types and
I offered to send them the one we had an oops on that way they could have a template in exchange for them breaking up a set . They are checking and will get back to me on it. Worse comes to worse, I'll order a set and have a spare. >>EDITED<<Great Company, they sent me a fresh pair, I am sending them an original swing out gasket and the one we had the oops on...second oops now...ssshhhh.. :oops:
== Fitting the Wheaton front air dam was a bit tricky today as it wasn't quite right. We had to extend the center piece and modify the curve to fit nicely without stressing the piece. We have mated the stock plastic valance to the Wheaton3 piece air dam so that they install as one unit.
I am undecided on which daytime driving lights to choose. I am looking at Hella mini 6. There is a rectangular opening that is 5.5 inches X 1.5 inches. I will need to fuse that circuit and set up a separate rocker switch for it. Perhaps in the nice Monza console thats going to be installed.....when we get that far, ...Peace
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Could not find an artist "with a steady hand" to repaint the white on the 8k Cosw. tachometer, so, I spent the day in PhotoShop with an image of the tachometer. I was able to correctly size the image and will output it in outdoor vinyl once the paper template cutout for the idiot lights is completed. Should be tomorrow. Peace WWG1WGA.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Took a three month Hiatas and got new tile down in the entranceway and hallway at home. ..Time to get back on the Vega..priortize..priortize..waiting on.dash/instr...new radio..then the dash can go up...i hate it....Peace
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Worked on mounting the LED driving lights into the holes on the Wheaton air dam. The opening on the rear side of the air dam is almost exactly the same size as the face of the LED housing and needs a lip to slip over the rear fiberglass protrusion. These LEDs in their aluminum housing each weigh close to 2lbs due to the heat sink, and have a swiveling "U" bracket with single fixed bolt. The closest place to secure a rigid mount will be at the front fender standoff/stabilizer only 4 inches away. The original fender strut was a rod with two formed bolt holes at each end. We had replaced this rod with flatbar steel which will make for mounting the LED a bit easier...
Gonna be a HOT summer, Oh, wait, its 85 degrees today and its still Winter...Prepping the vegetable garden soon too.
74_Vega_GT

Postby vegastre » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 am

Five Stars!

Although I haven't commented on your build so far, I have been reading a post here and there just to see where you were at and if you were going to burn out, loose interest etc but you have stuck with it and I admire that a whole lot. So... I have spent the last two hours reading all eight pages of your build and I must say your passion for the Vega shines on every post. I like pretty much every aspect of your build from motor choice to paint color. I know "passion" is a cliche thrown around a lot when speaking of cars etc but after reading your project Journal you have earned that title.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks Phil,
I'm kinda going at it alone now. I did manage to get the LED's mounted and still need to zip tie its harness in place. I guess the two things holding up my progress are the decision on which radio/cd player to buy and completion of the tach and speedo faces so that I can mount the dash and instrument cluster. Both window regulators need to be reinstalled in the doors with the new window sweeps. The doors havent been mounted or test fitted yet. The hatch and hood are ready for paint. The seat rails have to be fabricated for the leather electric toyota seats. New carpeting and the interior needs to be reinstalled, the carb needs mounting. The fuel line needs to be hooked up. The motor needs to be prepped for starting. Springs need to be lowered.
I am hoping to move within 12 months and if the car isn't done by then, I'll have to move it in pieces. I can see it now, A huge U-Haul followed by a car carrier with an 81 S-10,a Vega in parts, a Dodge Ram, and 3 Crossfires (2-SRT' 6s).
74_Vega_GT

Postby vegastre » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Beentheredonethat...

Doesn't matter if you're moving a thousand miles or across town it's an adventure. One thing is for sure, you gotta have your stuff, don't leave it behind. Downsize after the move.

Excellent choice on leather seats. Leather gets better looking with age and wear if you take care of them, UV being the worst enemy of leather. I use simple "Slip Covers" I had made up for my seats when not in use and sitting in the direct sunlight. I know I might sound a bit anal but I had my stock Astre seats covered in leather over ten years ago and they look better than new.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:46 am

Spoke with Tim McCabe (Thanks Tim!!) and got the low down skinny on the tach operation I need to perform and how to do it. As indicated in an earlier post, I PhotoShopped the dial face of both the speedo and the tack and had them output at high resolution (1200 dpi) in CMYK for four color output. These were ontput onto 3M outdoor vinyl, like what one would use to wrap a vehicle with with high teck, sign shop inkjet ink. The hold-up has been how to remove and replace the tach dial indicator, especially since the calibration was done, without un-calibrating it. Tim said to apply 12 volts to the pole marked 12v and gnd. to gnd. and the shaft will "zero". The speedo needle has a "stop" at zero. so it shouldn't be a problem to remove and replace its pointer.
One important thing that we discussed was the fact that this is supposedly a digital ready tach having come from a Cosworth (8000rpm) and to protect it against any spike, I should use a filter in the circuit that GM used to offer since I will be using a SuperCoil ignition.
I'll post pics of the result of the refacing and ..pics of another concern I just discovered with the spindles being at such an angle. I noticed them as I was wiring up the LED lights....Peace...
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am

Smiley wrote:
75Monz wrote:Think you can still get them here. Got mine a few years ago. Also, think you only need the 2 upper have to use 75 and later lowers (read his notes). http://www.v8monza.com/bja-order_info.htm

The adapters only work with the 75 and later lower ball joints, on 71-74 Cars the lower balljoints must be replaced with the 75 and later style. All cars need 4 sleeves.

^^^ So the difference here being a result of the deep pocket lower control arms on 75 and later ?..yes? no? I need to look again and see what we did on the lowers to make sure we did that conversion correctly. The car as it is sitting with most of the weight on the ground except the doors and hood and all interior seats... the control arm bolts are loose and the spindles have an angle to them instead of being perpendicular to the ground by about 15 degrees just looking at it. Not sure which way the upper adjustable cammed bushings are sitting.
I may have over upgraded on the new shocks and springs. I picked them for a Monza 76 wagon with the V8 thinking that with the weight capacity might make it sit properly since upgrading to the V6 4.3. Currently you can fit your hand between the tire top and the fender, so its sitting way too high also.
Not much left of the donor car, A pillars are good and both quarters and roof are intact, extra rear end out of a 77 Monza as I recall, all of the rusty stock steering components are out there as well. Got shed of the 75 Cos steering column complete with GT wheel (no button) and working ignition and key. I didn't need it as I am running a 77 tilt column. Glad to help a fellow Vega owner out.
Now that my mechanic guru and I are back on track so to speak, we are focussing on the doors , renewing the regulators and reinstalling the glass. I suppose the seat rails are soon and reinstalling the dash. Finishing the fuel delivery and cooling system, A/C system as well. Need custom hoses for the AC, need nice looking shut off valves for the cooling system.
I have been prepping aluminum trim and the swing out windows and associated hardware lately. Gotta go vintage radio hunting soon and I don't intend to cut the plastic dash to make it fit. Speaker mounting and wiring soon.
Much easier taking one apart than it is putting it all back together. I still have to obtain ALL of the associated glass clips and trim clips so I'll be ready after painting. She is still in epoxy primer, wetsanded presently. All jams are painted. More later...Peace
WWG1WGA
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals