1975 Alberta Astre Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1975 Alberta Astre Project

Postby spudz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been checking out this site for a little while now. Ever since I picked up my project from a local farmer. I have been trying to learn all I can about the car, how to do the conversions, what I need and don't need and ultimately drive off into the sunset in a fun, reliable car. The work I have read about on here, the cars I have seen on here are amazing and beautiful!

I am planning to begin my project this fall and pick away at it through the winter. I hope the end result will be a nice little street cruiser with good manners and good looks.

Below are some highlights of what I want to do. Anyone's input or expertise to steer me right is absolutely welcome!

I currently have a 1998 Vortec 350. Has about 500 miles on it. I rebuilt it and had it in my Nova. Its around 300hp. I had a NWC T5 behind that engine. I Loved the manual because it shifted like a Swiss watch. I may stick with it. I also have a 200 4R that I could use but it would need a complete rebuild. The Astre is a manual.

I bought a 83 S10 for a hundred bucks earlier this past spring. Was going to use it for the 5 lug conversion, maybe steal the master cyinder, radiator and anything else that might be useful. Any suggestions here would be appreciated! I also have a 7.5 rear from my Nova that is available to use.

Here are some shots of the car the day I picked it up. Thanks!

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spudz

Re: 1975 Alberta Astre Project

Postby spudz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm

And here is a shot of the engine bay. All original I suppose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spudz

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Spudz Welcome Aboard! I would like to thank you for, first doing your reading as we have all answered lots of questions many times and it is easier to just read the answers that are already here. :th: You seem to have a good handle on this and even figured out this sites picture posting hassle and shared your new toy with us. :th: And that looks like a GOOD starting place for what you have listed as your goal, and more than a few other idea's you will likely have! [I take it the seller liked Orange, the van in the background is the same orange] Your S10 may volunteer many parts ultimately I would start as you were thinking with the front suspension goodies you found in the threads you already have studied and I would probably take the rear end out as it is an upgrade for the smaller 6.5" Vega/Astre rear and will be a pretty easy conversion to the Astre. Make sure you hold onto the Astre rear for the brackets you will need for the swap [if you are staying 4 link, and some will still be needed for the 3 link but others will have to be fabbed for that one]. At least the axles, as they will fit into the later model 7.5" rears for your 5 lug swap Also keep an eye for the little do-dads that you may want to upgrade on the Astre, like floor lights or...(?) So join in and keep reading and sharing. Oh and pictures are always well received! Thanx for sharing. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Sweet Ashtray...er...Astre. :lol: Love it and glad to see another Poncho being resurrected. :th:
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby spudz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Hello all,

Well a couple weeks ago some dummy put a rock through the back window of my project. I was searching for a new one, or a complete hatch and had a few leads. Then a friend of mine left me a voicemail that he knew where one was in town for $25. I called the guy and made the deal for the back glass. When I went to get it I had a "shopping list" of "wants" I have had for my project and was hoping to maybe score some other things from my list. Long story short I ended up buying the entire car including back glass for $100. $80 to tow it home and I am a happy camper.

This car has a V6 automatic and full gauge package. It also had power brakes and steering although the guy had pulled the brake stuff for his Vega. Not sure if this V6 is original and not sure if it is a real GT. Car is a 1974. Here are some shots of it.
spudz

Postby spudz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Here are a couple more. Any advice or expertise is always welcome :)
spudz

Postby gerbsinmd » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Pretty sure the vega/astre didn't come with a V6 - however since they are cousins with the Monza, etc the parts bolt in, so it would look like a factory setup.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Return to Project Journals